TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-09-2013, 08:57 PM   #1
cheesesteak
Meh.

Arrow "City Of Heroes" 10/9/2013

Summer Glau? Aw, man. This show is toast. She does look good, though. She gets better looking as she gets older.

Hopefully, Oliver adopts the name Green Arrow now.

Does Oliver's "no more killing" pledge square with the comic books?

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:08 PM   #2
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
Well, he was certainly never as kill-happy in the comics as he was in the show last season, but he did kill from time to time.

It's nice that they're not shying away from the sheer brutality he exhibited in Season 1.

By the way, Diggle is being introduced to the comics (he already made a one-panel cameo, and apparently the next issue of Green Arrow will be a flashback issue starring Diggle).

Andy Diggle, the comic book writer after whom Diggle was named, must be a little weirded out.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:34 PM   #3
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post

By the way, Diggle is being introduced to the comics (he already made a one-panel cameo, and apparently the next issue of Green Arrow will be a flashback issue starring Diggle).

Andy Diggle, the comic book writer after whom Diggle was named, must be a little weirded out.
Well if you consider that it's John Diggle that's walking around Starling City and Andy Diggle was the one who was killed by Deadshot, he must be really weirded out.

And IIRC, comic book Ollie got a tad kill crazy after Dinah left him and he thought that he killed Hal Jordan.

I enjoyed this episode.
Looked like a good kick off to the season and we're seeing Oliver's evolution towards a hero.

And is Laurel dressing up in black leather now?

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 03:27 AM   #4
john4200

Quote:
Summer Glau?
I did not recognize her when they were looking at her pictures, but then when she was in the board room I suddenly recognized her. I guess her face needs to be moving for me to recognize her.

As far as this episode, I liked the first season, but I was not impressed by this second season opener.

Right off the bat we have that stupid landmine trope (not exploding until you step off). Then we have the Queen's company in danger of takeover. WTF? The Queens only own 45% of their own company, and they have all their liquid assets tied up in the company with nothing they can use to buy more?

Laurel breaking up with Oliver and blaming the Hood for Tommy's death was contrived and lame (especially since, IIRC, it was Laurel's fault for going to her office despite being warned). I'm not even sure why Oliver is still interested in Laurel. If I were him, I'd be trying to win Felicity's affection and forget about Laurel.

The Hood shows up again, after a long absence, right after Oliver comes back to town after a long absence. No one notices the connection? Not even Thea or Laurel?

And the whole thing with Oliver not refusing to kill anyone is such a cliche. When Oliver was rescuing Thea, one of the kidnappers was seconds away from killing her in cold blood. If anyone deserved to die, it was that guy. But no, Oliver risks Thea's life further by going for non-fatal shots.

One of the things I liked about the first season was that it managed to avoid a lot of the usual tropes and cliches for a superhero show. But so far, the 2nd season seems to be checking them all off one by one.

Last edited by john4200 : 10-10-2013 at 12:35 PM.
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 03:31 AM   #5
Church AV Guy

Quote:
Summer Glau? Aw, man. This show is toast. She does look good, though. She gets better looking as she gets older.

Hopefully, Oliver adopts the name Green Arrow now.

That was my first thought too. Yeah, she looked good, but her history of ushering shows into their demise worries me.

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it. - JOA
Church AV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 04:39 AM   #6
cheesesteak
Meh.

I'm tired of Laurel already.

Old 10-10-2013, 06:35 AM   #7
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4200 View Post
I did not recognize her when they were looking at her pictures, but then when she was in the board room I suddenly recognized her. I guess her face needs to be moving for me to recognize her.
Which is weird, because one of the things about Summer Glau is that her face doesn't really move all that much...
Quote:
Originally Posted by john4200 View Post
And the whole thing with Oliver not wanting to kill anyone is such a cliche. When Oliver was rescuing Thea, one of the kidnappers was seconds away from killing her in cold blood. If anyone deserved to die, it was that guy. But no, Oliver risks Thea's life further by going for non-fatal shots.
On the other hand, last season he was a brutal mass murderer. So at least they're dealing with the consequences of that.

Perhaps he's evolving towards a middle ground..?
Old 10-10-2013, 12:29 PM   #8
john4200

Quote:
Which is weird, because one of the things about Summer Glau is that her face doesn't really move all that much...
Maybe that is how I recognized her -- her face was not moving as much as it should be for most actors!
Old 10-10-2013, 01:56 PM   #9
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Please tell me that people won't believe that the Hood is gone and that the Green Arrow is a different person.
Old 10-10-2013, 02:34 PM   #10
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
Please tell me that people won't believe that the Hood is gone and that the Green Arrow is a different person.
Judging from the way they cut from the "What are you going to call yourself" question to the logo, I suspect it's just going to be "Arrow"...
Old 10-10-2013, 03:23 PM   #11
Shakhari

Nobody seemed to notice the coincidence last year of the Hood showing up exactly when Oliver returned, so no one will probably make the connection this time either ... as silly as that is.
Shakhari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 04:07 PM   #12
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakhari View Post
Nobody seemed to notice the coincidence last year of the Hood showing up exactly when Oliver returned, so no one will probably make the connection this time either ... as silly as that is.
I think that you forgot that Oliver had a clever plan where he led Quentin to deduce that he was "The Hood" publicly and then "proved" he wasn't.

BTW, anyone else catch the radio announcement about the new particle accelerator in Central City?

"I aim to misbehave"
Old 10-10-2013, 04:19 PM   #13
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakhari View Post
That was less of a coincidence. This time, (1) Oliver leaves, (2) Hood leaves, then (3) Oliver comes back, (4) Hood comes back. The previous situation did not have (2).
Old 10-11-2013, 08:03 AM   #14
cheesesteak
Meh.

Quote:
Judging from the way they cut from the "What are you going to call yourself" question to the logo, I suspect it's just going to be "Arrow"...
But they made a point to show the green arrow head. Also, the bad hoods in this episode wore black, so I can see them emphasizing the "green". Anyway, I hope it's Green Arrow and that he wears a mask so that nobody will be able to recognize him.

I kinda liked Oliver killing every other bad guy he faced. Starling City would have to hire about 12 new coroners though to keep up with him though.

Old 10-11-2013, 08:28 AM   #15
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Anyway, I hope it's Green Arrow and that he wears a mask so that nobody will be able to recognize him.
Why would he do that? Nobody can recognize him even without a mask!
Old 10-11-2013, 10:10 AM   #16
justen_m

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYoung View Post
BTW, anyone else catch the radio announcement about the new particle accelerator in Central City?
Yup, but not having any familiarity with the DC Universe, I wasn't sure what they were alluding to.

[edit] Ok, quick google shows Central City is connected to the Flash. Is his origin related to a particle accelerator? That'd make sense.
justen_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 10:20 AM   #17
Ereth

I've made this reference before, but my favorite "Whose under the mask" bit was in Carmine Infantinos Flash way back in the 1960s when the Flash was knocked unconscious by the Rogues and they pulled his mask off and nobody had any idea who he was.

Unlike Oliver Queen, Barry Allen isn't on TV a lot, isn't famous, and in a city with millions of people, you aren't likely to actually know the guy.

Ollie really needs a mask, because his face is plastered on TV all the time.

Please do not "Fixed Your Post" on my posts. I find that rude and annoying. Thank you for your consideration.
Ereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 11:23 AM   #18
cheesesteak
Meh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ereth View Post
Ollie really needs a mask, because his face is plastered on TV all the time.
Plus, it's makes it harder to fight crime when you have to stay in the shadows and face away from everybody you talk to.

Old 10-11-2013, 01:59 PM   #19
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
That technicality is irrelevant to my point.
Old 10-11-2013, 03:23 PM   #20
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by justen_m View Post
Yup, but not having any familiarity with the DC Universe, I wasn't sure what they were alluding to.

[edit] Ok, quick google shows Central City is connected to the Flash. Is his origin related to a particle accelerator? That'd make sense.
In the comics, his chemical shelf was hit by lightning and the electrified chemicals splashed all over him, granting him super speed.

There is said to be interest in a Flash pilot and talk that they may be using Arrow as a back door pilot.

"I aim to misbehave"
Old 10-11-2013, 03:36 PM   #21
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
That technicality is irrelevant to my point.
Oh, so now you're asking for relevance?!?

Some people are just SO demanding!

Old 10-13-2013, 02:07 PM   #22
alpacaboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ereth View Post
I've made this reference before, but my favorite "Whose under the mask" bit was in Carmine Infantinos Flash way back in the 1960s when the Flash was knocked unconscious by the Rogues and they pulled his mask off and nobody had any idea who he was.
Maybe this was an homage to that, but I think it was Justice League Unlimited that did something where Lex Luthor and the (Wally West) Flash switched bodies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Qy4EIvvVj4
alpacaboy is offline   Reply With Quote