TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-09-2013, 06:01 PM   #1
jbrown13

Netflix and TiVo Premiere

I'm seeing a lot of threads on the issues with the Netflix streaming app on the TiVo Premiere, but I'm not seeing any solutions other than buying more hardware.

Lately, when we watch a movie streamed from Netflix the TiVo reboots itself near the end of the movie, and leaves a gap in the show/shows being recorded from cable. This always happens right near the end, and I'm surmising that Netflix has streamed the entire movie into the TiVo buffer and then the TiVo thinks it's getting a signal to reboot, and it does. Because TiVo takes an unusually long time to reboot (3-5 minutes) we lose large portions of the recording shows. Does anyone have a solution for this, or is this another example of the poor software that TiVo continues to write?

Thanks,
Jeff

Last edited by jbrown13 : 10-09-2013 at 06:47 PM.
jbrown13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:31 PM   #2
kherr

I gave up and bought a couple of Roku3s. Works with everything and doesn't lock the remote out or any other of the various troubles ... I just hope Amazon Prime gets added to the Mini.
kherr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:35 PM   #3
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown13 View Post
I'm seeing a lot of threads on the issues with the Netflix streaming app on the TiVo Premiere, but I'm not seeing any solutions other than buying more hardware.

Does anyone have a solution for this, or is this another example of the poor software that TiVo continues to write?

Thanks,
Jeff
Somehow, I don't think asking about a tired old subject yet again, will yield any new results
Old 10-09-2013, 09:35 PM   #4
bradleys
It'll be fine....

I really didn't find it usable on the Premiere. The girls used it, and didn't know the difference until they had an oportunity to play with a better implementation.

I think this is exactly why we didn't see many other streaming services interested in the TiVo Premiere platform.
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:44 PM   #5
jbrown13

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
Somehow, I don't think asking about a tired old subject yet again, will yield any new results

Gee, thanks for the smart ass comment!!!
Old 10-09-2013, 11:13 PM   #6
jrtroo
User

Netflix wrote the app, not TiVo.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:21 PM   #7
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
And the TiVo Premiere platform doesn't have the horsepower to run it properly.

It works, but it is slow to navigate and will crash from time to time. As I said, my girls used it all the time - but I wasn't a fan.
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 07:29 AM   #8
pmiranda

Sorry I can't add much of use. I tried it once, playback was choppy and quality was bad. Switched to my HTPC on the same ethernet hub and it was perfect, so I haven't looked back, although I wish my HTPC had a responsive and useful playback interface like normal TiVo. I usually rip DVDs and watch them through TiVo just to avoid the slow and painful Cyberlink interface
pmiranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 09:07 AM   #9
jrtroo
User

Mine works fine, only issues are the slow loading (not a big deal really except for my second issue) and sometimes when watching a series it will go blackscreen before moving to the next episode. The second issue only started happening since May.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:20 PM   #10
jbrown13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
Regardless of the author, they did a poor job of marrying it to TiVo. They surely knew where it was going to be used from day 1. And TiVo doesn't have a very good record with the software they have written, i.e. TiVo Desktop.

What I have difficulty reconciling is that the problem is intermittent. I just started using Netflix with my TiVo in August and had a few issues in August. They then went away and resurfaced again last week. Ghosts?

I'm solving the problem by buying a Roku 3.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:01 PM   #11
bacevedo

Quote:
Does anyone have a solution for this, or is this another example of the poor software that TiVo continues to write?
It's this. I don't care who wrote the Netflix UI, no app should be able to make the Tivo reboot. The fact that it can means they don't have a good sandbox for the apps to run in.

It's most likely a buffer overflow or null pointer type of exception that isn't being handled correctly by the Tivo. Their network handling code has always been suspect as they are the only device I have owned that is that slow and buggy when using the network. I have posted elsewhere that I am getting rid of Tivo completely and going completely streaming with Roku 3 and Plex.

Do yourself a favor and get a Roku (Roku 3 if possible) and see what a real streaming experience should be like.
bacevedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 08:17 PM   #12
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
I'm solving the problem by buying a Roku 3.
So nobody was able to come up with another solution since the last time this subject was brought up a week and a half ago?