TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 10-05-2013, 08:22 AM   #91
Gary-B

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarcyM View Post
It's definitely in RF mode. It just likes to randomly send one or two commands via IR which happens to be at remote code 0 which the Premiere responds to. I called TiVo about it and the tech guy said it shouldn't be dropping out of RF mode like that and so to look for interference and or low batteries. Replaced the batteries and it still happens. Haven't figured out what may be interfering yet as there is no cordless phone, cell phone, router, or such near by to cause interference at such close range between the remote and Roamio. I had suggested that they should of put the ability of the IR mode to be programmed to a different remote code for the IR, but he kind of blew that off as it "shouldn't be dropping out of RF mode" .. thats all well and good, but it does. So I have had to (unfortunately) resort to programming the Premiere remote for each TiVo when I want to access it and just use the IR until I can figure it out. Not sure it's worth the cost in shipping to have TiVo replace the remote.
The remote droping out of RF mode is a know problem. It's not the remote but the Box itself. Tivo is working on a software fix for this.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=508587
67" Samsung DLP
55" Samsung Plasma
61 Terabytes Storage.
Popcorn Hour C-300
Gary-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 09:22 AM   #92
innocentfreak

Also to reprogram the remote to a different address you need to switch to IR mode. Program the address, and switch back the RF mode.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 12:37 PM   #93
DarcyM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary-B View Post
The remote droping out of RF mode is a know problem. It's not the remote but the Box itself. Tivo is working on a software fix for this.

That would definitely be nice if it can be fixed via an update to the box as it would solve the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
Also to reprogram the remote to a different address you need to switch to IR mode. Program the address, and switch back the RF mode.
Thats what I thought too, you can't program a different remote address code when in IR mode. If you go into IR mode and then press tivo+pause it does not go into program mode. Thats one reason I had called TiVo to see if the buttons to do the program mode had changed.
DarcyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 03:28 AM   #94
Jeremy5

Did anyone else here order a Roamio remote? My order from September 28 still hasn't shipped
Jeremy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:57 AM   #95
Richard A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy5 View Post
Did anyone else here order a Roamio remote? My order from September 28 still hasn't shipped
My order from September 25th hasn't shipped either.
Richard A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 12:38 PM   #96
A J Ricaud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard A View Post
My order from September 25th hasn't shipped either.
+1, although it's status changed from "Received" to "Processing Order" and the option to cancel is gone. Maybe soon, I hope.
A J Ricaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 02:57 PM   #97
bradleys
It'll be fine....

I have a replacement remote coming - and yes, it did change to Order Processing.

The CSR did tell me they didn't have any in stock and it would be a few days before it they shipped.
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 05:59 PM   #98
A J Ricaud

Mine has shipped!
Old 10-09-2013, 10:40 PM   #99
MisterWho

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
I have a replacement remote coming - and yes, it did change to Order Processing.

The CSR did tell me they didn't have any in stock and it would be a few days before it they shipped.

How did you get a Roamio replacement remote? They are telling me flat out "no" right now. My Thread: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=509994
MisterWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:43 PM   #100
MisterWho

Quote:
Battery level a least with the slide is under the system info screen.
Oh, and forgot to ask about this too.

My Roamio gives "unknown" under system info screen for RF remote battery level using stock Roamio remote. This the same for everyone else? I'm having remote issues at the moment.
Old 10-09-2013, 10:49 PM   #101
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterWho View Post
Oh, and forgot to ask about this too.

My Roamio gives "unknown" under system info screen for RF remote battery level using stock Roamio remote. This the same for everyone else? I'm having remote issues at the moment.
It was the same for me with the included Roamio remote. When I connected the USB adapter for my Slide remote then it started showing the percentage. Of course that percentage is for the slide remote though and not the Roamio remote.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 03:08 AM   #102
Jeremy5

The two I ordered have finally shipped from Texas.
Jeremy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 11:55 AM   #103
A J Ricaud

Quote:
How did you get a Roamio replacement remote? They are telling me flat out "no" right now. My Thread: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=509994
Look here: https://tivo.com/shop/detail/roamio-remote

You can find in "Shop Products", "Accessories" and scrolling down.
Old 10-10-2013, 11:07 PM   #104
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Arrived today!
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 10-10-2013, 11:15 PM   #105
innocentfreak

Quote:
Thats what I thought too, you can't program a different remote address code when in IR mode. If you go into IR mode and then press tivo+pause it does not go into program mode. Thats one reason I had called TiVo to see if the buttons to do the program mode had changed.
Yes you can. My Roamio Pro has the address I assigned.

Old 10-11-2013, 12:37 AM   #106
DarcyM

Quote:
Yes you can. My Roamio Pro has the address I assigned.
Yes, the TiVo itself can be set to respond to a different IR remote address code, but you can not program the Roamio remote's IR mode to a different code. If you change it into IR mode then do the tivo+pause buttons to put the remote into programming mode like you can the Premiere's remote, it does not go into programming mode so you can set it. I called TiVo and the tech confirmed you can not change the IR remote code on the remote as it was pretty much designed for you to use it in RF mode with the Roamio.
DarcyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 06:32 AM   #107
MisterWho

Quote:
Originally Posted by A J Ricaud View Post
Look here: https://tivo.com/shop/detail/roamio-remote

You can find in "Shop Products", "Accessories" and scrolling down.
Yeah, believe me, I know they are selling them for $30 as that was the response given by Customer Support in regards to mine that stopped working. I was told that warranty replacements weren't available but they were for sale on their online store! After help from TivoMargret, I now have a replacement on order but I did learn something interesting: Tivo does not honor their equipment warranty when the Tivo is purchased from anyone but them. They stated "it is standard policy to initially refer customers to replace their defective equipment from the original place of purchase while you're within your 30 day money back guarantee." I purchased my stock Roamio from Weakness on 8/25 so should have been covered under Tivo's warranty but they insisted I had to have them replace my remote. I was told that if I bought from Best Buy I would have to take the remote back for a replacement to them (like they have a basket of them waiting to be swapped out). This was confirmed by several agents over several calls, chats, and emails.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:53 AM   #108
innocentfreak

Quote:
Yes, the TiVo itself can be set to respond to a different IR remote address code, but you can not program the Roamio remote's IR mode to a different code. If you change it into IR mode then do the tivo+pause buttons to put the remote into programming mode like you can the Premiere's remote, it does not go into programming mode so you can set it. I called TiVo and the tech confirmed you can not change the IR remote code on the remote as it was pretty much designed for you to use it in RF mode with the Roamio.
I don't know what to tell you since mine works. My Roamio Remote in IR mode only controls my Pro, and I have multiple TiVos in the same room.

Old 10-11-2013, 09:28 AM   #109
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Just so you do not have to go searching for it...

To pair a different remote to your DVR

You can control the Roamio Series DVR with a different remote or transfer the remote to another DVR by performing these steps:

Prepare the DVR for pairing:
1.Press the Live TV button to go to Live TV.
2.Press Clear, Enter, Clear, 220, Clear.

Put the Roamio remote into Allow Pairing mode:
Press and hold the TiVo+Back buttons until the activity indicator light turns red. The remote control will then send pairing requests for 30 seconds (as indicated by the flashing amber activity indicator).

The remote will pair with any DVR that is accepting pairing requests.
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 10-11-2013, 09:35 AM   #110
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Yeah, believe me, I know they are selling them for $30 as that was the response given by Customer Support in regards to mine that stopped working. I was told that warranty replacements weren't available but they were for sale on their online store! After help from TivoMargret, I now have a replacement on order but I did learn something interesting: Tivo does not honor their equipment warranty when the Tivo is purchased from anyone but them. They stated "it is standard policy to initially refer customers to replace their defective equipment from the original place of purchase while you're within your 30 day money back guarantee." I purchased my stock Roamio from Weakness on 8/25 so should have been covered under Tivo's warranty but they insisted I had to have them replace my remote. I was told that if I bought from Best Buy I would have to take the remote back for a replacement to them (like they have a basket of them waiting to be swapped out). This was confirmed by several agents over several calls, chats, and emails.
Huh?

My remote had a button that didn't work and they sent me a new one with no problems at all. I purchased my Roamio from Best Buy.

Either you missunderstood or a CR gave you some bad information. They did not have the ability to do a Warrenty return because it wasn't in their system yet - so they did a store order for me and refunded the purchase and shipping price.

He was very clear at the time that they were back ordered and it would be a few days before the remote would be shipped.

No escalation and no hassels. I recieved my new Remote yesterday and paired it wth my TiVo - works great.

Bottom Line, TiVo does warrenty units purchased from retailers and has since the beginning.
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 10-11-2013, 03:03 PM   #111
MisterWho

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
Huh?

Either you missunderstood or a CR gave you some bad information. They did not have the ability to do a Warrenty return because it wasn't in their system yet - so they did a store order for me and refunded the purchase and shipping price.

Bottom Line, TiVo does warrenty units purchased from retailers and has since the beginning.
Hey, I hear ya; I was as disappointed as you are incredulous regarding this. I have the chat transcripts, phone logs, and email responses from as many as five Customer Service reps and a total of seven support ticket numbers assigned to this single issue that document their stance of "take it back to where you bought it."

Though disappointing, I recognize the need to play Customer Support Roulette with companies and often do so to get the needed support as one support rep may have more knowledge and experience than another. This time, I failed at every turn. Even reading the warranty to them as well as the list of authorized retailers directly from tivo.com did not convince them to change their stance.

Ours are two different experiences and I just wanted to share mine as a warning to others who may not have the persistence to see the issue through to a resolution and give up on their just bought, brand new tivo unit because of the non service received.
Old 10-11-2013, 05:56 PM   #112
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Hey, I hear ya; I was as disappointed as you are incredulous regarding this. I have the chat transcripts, phone logs, and email responses from as many as five Customer Service reps and a total of seven support ticket numbers assigned to this single issue that document their stance of "take it back to where you bought it."

Though disappointing, I recognize the need to play Customer Support Roulette with companies and often do so to get the needed support as one support rep may have more knowledge and experience than another. This time, I failed at every turn. Even reading the warranty to them as well as the list of authorized retailers directly from tivo.com did not convince them to change their stance.

Ours are two different experiences and I just wanted to share mine as a warning to others who may not have the persistence to see the issue through to a resolution and give up on their just bought, brand new tivo unit because of the non service received.
As I think about it, I am wondering when this happened... I called in the morning on October 2nd and the CSR said he could not get me one because it wasn't available for them to order yet - they expected the online store to be updated later in the day - and that he would have to call me back.

He called me later in that afternoon... He still couldn't do a warranty return, but I was able to purchase it and they credited the cost back to me.

Prior to that, you may have been caught in a situation where the CSR had no options for replacing your remote.

I think being honest with you would have been better then telling you they wouldn't warranty it.

Oh, he did say I could go back to Best Buy for a quicker return, but I told him I wasn't interested in resetting the TiVo, boxing it back up and going through the hassle of moving my lifetime sub, just for a remote button that wouldn't fire!
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 10-11-2013, 09:20 PM   #113
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary-B View Post

I hope what you are saying is true but I had two Roamios and one worked in RF mode the other would go in and out of RF mode, tried everything I could think of, so I know it was not a bad remote as I could get both remotes to RF syn to the working Roamio and both remotes would not RF syn to the bad Roamio, took the both Roamios apart and switched the little RF plug in board between both Roamios and the problem followed the little plug in board. If software can correct the problem great !! (The little plug in PC board is under the hard drive and goes into the front panel area through a metal slot.)

Old 10-14-2013, 06:42 PM   #114
TC25D

Dumb question....

Received my extra Roamio Remote today. The light at the top of the remote continues to blink yellow long after the command has been executed. On the original Roamio, the light blinks yellow once when the key is pressed.

Any ideas?

Last edited by TC25D : 10-14-2013 at 07:33 PM.
TC25D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 07:34 PM   #115
uw69

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC25D View Post
Dumb question....

Received my extra Roamio Remote today. The light at the top of the remote continues to blink yellow long after the command has been executed. On the original Roamio, the light blinks yellow once when the key is pressed.

Any ideas?
Is it paired with your Roamio?
1 Roamio plus 470 hours
3 TiVo Mini's
uw69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 07:53 PM   #116
TC25D

Quote:
Originally Posted by uw69 View Post
Is it paired with your Roamio?
I followed the procedure listed above and when I press and hold the TiVo+Back buttons, the light blinks yellow but never turns red.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:32 AM   #117
A J Ricaud

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC25D View Post
I followed the procedure listed above and when I press and hold the TiVo+Back buttons, the light blinks yellow but never turns red.
Same here. Are these remotes bad or are the directions for pairing bad? I don't think it's operator error.
Old 10-15-2013, 01:52 PM   #118
TC25D

I bought 2 remotes, one so my wife and I can each have one for use with the Roamio in the living room and one to replace the remote shipped with the Mini.

I have a hard time believing both remotes are bad.
Old 10-15-2013, 02:52 PM   #119
mike1273

I ordered another remote for my plus yesterday at 3PM with standard delivery and received it at 1PM today in Houston!

So far, both work fine in rf mode.
mike1273 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 10:54 PM   #120
c3
TiVoholic

Just got my Roamio yesterday. RF mode worked fine, but the remote finder did not work. I replaced the batteries, shut off the WiFi router, etc. I gave up and was going to call TiVo for replacement today. And then it started working for no apparent reason.
c3 is offline   Reply With Quote