TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-09-2013, 09:56 AM   #91
MonsterJoe
salty meat-poles

We're really enjoying Brooklyn 99...it's kind of like the "Scrubs" of cop shows.

Back in the Game got maybe 5 minutes from me.
MonsterJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:59 AM   #92
Beryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
According to the pundits, Hostages and Betrayal are both failing to hold an audience, so I would expect them to be dropped fairly soon.
Totally agree with this prediction. I gave Hostages 2.5 episodes and Betrayal 1.25 (quitting at the first commercial break).
Old 10-09-2013, 10:41 AM   #93
WhiskeyTango

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryl View Post
Totally agree with this prediction. I gave Hostages 2.5 episodes and Betrayal 1.25 (quitting at the first commercial break).
It's not really a bold prediction and you don't have to be a 'pundit' to see that. The ratings for both shows suck and are getting worse with each passing episode.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:48 AM   #94
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyTango View Post
It's not really a bold prediction and you don't have to be a 'pundit' to see that. The ratings for both shows suck and are getting worse with each passing episode.
For Hostages at least, I hope they at least burn it off on Saturday night. If not, I'll just move on to something else having enjoyed the few episodes I watched.
Old 10-09-2013, 10:58 AM   #95
kmccbf

I've bailed on very few shows after the pilot. The few I have is because I just didn't like the characters. Recently I watched a detective show that was recommended to me by a friend. It was well written, well acted, but I took such a dislike to the lead character that I turned it off. When I bail on a show it's not just because it's bad, but also because the idea doesn't interest me.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:04 AM   #96
sharkster

I was thinking about this last night and one show from last year (a sitcom) came to mind. I tried to watch a show that was called something like 'Men with Kids'. Obviously, it was about several men all of whom had kids. It was so bad I didn't even last the first entire episode.

I also tried to watch that Mindy Kaling show that same year, and ditched it after the first episode. People seem to like it, though, so perhaps I got out too soon. It just didn't grab me in any way whatsoever.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 11:18 AM   #97
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkster View Post
I was thinking about this last night and one show from last year (a sitcom) came to mind. I tried to watch a show that was called something like 'Men with Kids'. Obviously, it was about several men all of whom had kids. It was so bad I didn't even last the first entire episode.

I also tried to watch that Mindy Kaling show that same year, and ditched it after the first episode. People seem to like it, though, so perhaps I got out too soon. It just didn't grab me in any way whatsoever.
I've stuck with pilots that were bad in the past. Usually it's either because I liked one of the actors, or while the pilot wasn't that funny, I saw potential in the show and the characters. The Matthew Perry show a couple of years ago where he managed a sports arena is an example of the former. I stuck with it because I generally like Perry, but the pilot was bad and it only got mildly better, so I gave up. 30 Rock is an example of the latter. The pilot, to me, was really bad, but I could see that the premise could be really funny, and it was for the most part.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:24 AM   #98
MonsterJoe
salty meat-poles

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkster View Post

I didn't like the Mindy Kaling show originally - but I've watched 1 or 2 more recently, since it's on right after New Girl, and it's better than I gave it credit for.
MonsterJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 11:27 AM   #99
laria
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterJoe View Post
It took me 5 years to get past the 1st episode of Breaking Bad.

I tend to bail quickly, but am open to trying again.
I just started watching Breaking Bad this summer. I think Season 1 was for the most part really boring. The last episode or two started to get things moving, although I'm not sure when I'll have time to start watching Season 2, since now all my other tv is started.

But I only powered through the first few because everyone raves about the show.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:32 AM   #100
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by laria View Post
I just started watching Breaking Bad this summer. I think Season 1 was for the most part really boring. The last episode or two started to get things moving, although I'm not sure when I'll have time to start watching Season 2, since now all my other tv is started.

That was me, but I kinda felt REALLY let down, and felt I wasted 10 hours of my life. Yeah, yeah, it gets better, by S2, or halfway through S2 or maybe S3 it gets better...maybe it's even S4

OK, dead horse beaten by me. Moving on.
Old 10-09-2013, 01:25 PM   #101
mr.unnatural

Quote:
Originally Posted by laria View Post

Breaking Bad takes a while to grow on you, then it won't let go. The first season was a bit slow and it picks up a bit with season 2. Season 3 is where things really start to steam roll and it only gets better from there. You really need to watch the first two seasons to understand the overall storyline.

Stick with it. You won't regret it.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 04:24 PM   #102
Azlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
According to the pundits, Hostages and Betrayal are both failing to hold an audience, so I would expect them to be dropped fairly soon.

Watched the pilot of Back in the Game last night and completely failed to even smile, although it seems to have a following.

Time will tell.
Hostages come from Jerry Bruckheimer and is a short run series so CBS is more likely going to have it swap places with Hawaii 5-0 than cancel it, but we'll see.
CBS really seems to be struggling (for them) on Mondays now. The two new comedies aren't doing well and 2 Broke Girls has had a big ratings drop. I think they'll try to shake some things up there before too long.
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 04:47 PM   #103
sushikitten
Exhausted mama

I record every pilot just so I don't miss anything I might have wanted to see. But I have so many KNOWN good shoes I want to watch (Breaking Bad, Veronica Mars, etc.) that if it doesn't REALLY grab me, it's done. I don't think I've set one SP yet this year.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
sushikitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 04:53 PM   #104
laria
Librocubicularist

I set season passes for everything, and then just delete them as I drop things.

So far The Blacklist, Sleepy Hollow, and Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. are the only new shows to make it into "continue watching" territory. I guess The Originals will probably be there too, even though I haven't watched it yet... but it's a spinoff of a show I enjoy, so I'll keep watching it.
Old 10-09-2013, 05:29 PM   #105
bsnelson
I'm an Android, baby

TC CLUB MEMBER
At the risk of offending some folks (and it's really not my intent): I wonder of some of the Breaking Bad "slow starting" is from those that lean more towards the "instant satisfaction" and generally expect the pace of things to be more frenetic. Myself, I love the long, slow scenes in BB; it's a time to reflect upon what's happened in the episode so far, to just let things digest. I don't have to have constant action and dialogue.

It took me about 5 minutes of the first episode to get hooked, and I loved almost every episode (though I'll admit that it took me a second viewing of "Fly" to fully appreciate it). I watched the first two episodes of Homeland last night and am already firmly hooked, and I've heard some say that it took them a while to get into it. Of course, for us guys (and some gals), having
Spoiler:
Morena Baccarin naked from the waist up and having sex
in the first episode didn't hurt.

Brad
bsnelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 05:32 PM   #106
Beryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.unnatural View Post
The first season was a bit slow and it picks up a bit with season 2. Season 3 is where things really start to steam roll and it only gets better from there. You really need to watch the first two seasons to understand the overall storyline. Stick with it. You won't regret it.
Or, you can do like I did -- watch 2 or 3 episodes in Season 3, get hooked and then go back and watch the first 2 seasons.

I wonder how many viewers did that also.
Old 10-09-2013, 05:34 PM   #107
Azlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsnelson View Post
At the risk of offending some folks (and it's really not my intent): I wonder of some of the Breaking Bad "slow starting" is from those that lean more towards the "instant satisfaction" and generally expect the pace of things to be more frenetic. Myself, I love the long, slow scenes in BB; it's a time to reflect upon what's happened in the episode so far, to just let things digest. I don't have to have constant action and dialogue.

It took me about 5 minutes of the first episode to get hooked, and I loved almost every episode (though I'll admit that it took me a second viewing of "Fly" to fully appreciate it). I watched the first two episodes of Homeland last night and am already firmly hooked, and I've heard some say that it took them a while to get into it. Of course, for us guys (and some gals), having
Spoiler:

Brad

I was hooked on Breaking Bad from the start as well. Didn't find it slow at all.
Homeland for me was the exact opposite of what you heard from others. It was great early on but lost a lot going from season 1 to 2. They had one great story (is he or isn't he) and nothing nearly as good to follow it up with.
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:52 PM   #108
mattack

So far, I know I've dropped the Goldbergs & Mom this year... Though somehow I ended up watching Goldbergs eps 1 then 3.. Still have 2 on my TivoHD, and will still watch it. There seem to be more good new dramas this year -- hostages, the James Spader one... and more I can't think of at the moment.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:47 PM   #109
gweempose

Quote:

Of course, for us guys (and some gals), having
Spoiler:
No it didn't.
(3) Minis

gweempose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 07:57 AM   #110
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:

Spoiler:

Brad
I don't think that's it for me. I watch Mad Men, where nothing really ever happens that gratifies me, but I still enjoy it. Same with Sorkin shows like The Newsroom. And I enjoyed the Sopranos episodes where nobody got whacked

For me, very often subject matter trumps "great writing". The show could be written so eloquently that Shakespeare himself would rise from the grave an applaud, but if the subject matter doesn't grab me, I'm out. Downton Abbey is another example. Supposedly it's very well written and done, but watching a show about an upper crust English family for hours on end would make me want to poke my eyes out.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:58 AM   #111
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azlen View Post
I was hooked on Breaking Bad from the start as well. Didn't find it slow at all.
Homeland for me was the exact opposite of what you heard from others. It was great early on but lost a lot going from season 1 to 2. They had one great story (is he or isn't he) and nothing nearly as good to follow it up with.
Homeland is a series I'll circle back to eventually. I don't have Showtime, so I'll have to find it during my slow periods somewhere and watch. It's definitely the kind of thing I am interested in.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:29 AM   #112
laria
Librocubicularist

I don't think that I expect shows to have a frenetic pace. I enjoy the shows that Steveknj mentioned... Mad Men, The Newsroom, Downton Abbey... and obviously I enjoyed Breaking Bad enough to keep watching it.

The thing is, I was expecting more to happen in Breaking Bad because of all the comments about the more recent seasons. I assumed it was that kind of show all along and it really wasn't right at the start. There was a looooong build up to the last 2 eps of Season 1. I wonder if some of that had to do with the writer's strike.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:56 AM   #113
gweempose

I never found Breaking Bad to be slow. I suppose in retrospect the first season was slow compared to later seasons, but this never dawned on me at the time.
(3) Minis

gweempose is online now   Reply With Quote