TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-02-2013, 06:58 PM   #1
skaggs
AlbanyHDTV

Time Warner Cable Oct. 8, 2013 upcoming channel lineup change

Time Warner in Albany, NY has announced they will be changing their channel lineup on October 8, 2013.

For example, my TiVo Season Pass to Showtime's Homeland on channel 1885 will have it's channel switched to 551.
  • How will this affect my season passes?
  • Will I need to modify anything on my TiVo units?
  • There are no more dedicated HD channels. How do I insure my recordings are in HD?

I'm sure there are other implications. Do I need to do anything to prepare for this change?

http://www.timewarnercable.com/en/re...-channels.html

From the website link above:

Find your favorites faster.
Channels 100 and above will be reorganized by genre. Channels 1-99 will be the same.

Always get the best picture.
You'll automatically receive the best quality picture possible on any channel you choose. No more searching between Standard Definition (SD) and High Definition (HD) channels.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:14 PM   #2
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaggs View Post
Always get the best picture.
You'll automatically receive the best quality picture possible on any channel you choose. No more searching between Standard Definition (SD) and High Definition (HD) channels.
That part doesn't work with TiVo. Their boxes can be programed so that if you enter channel 8 it will detect that you have an HD box and redirect you to the HD version which is actually on channel 708 or whatever. But with a TiVo if you type in 8 you get the SD version that's actually assigned to channel 8. Apparently whatever technology they're using for that redirect is not CableCARD compatible.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:18 PM   #3
tatergator1

Season passes will automatically adjust to the new lineup , but not until your TiVo receives an updated channel lineup for Albany NY. In my experience, lineup changes can take up to 7 days until they reach the TiVo. You 'll need to be vigilant until the update and potentially set manual recordings to compensate .
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:19 PM   #4
mrizzo80

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...63#post9804763
mrizzo80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:33 PM   #5
Arcady
Stargate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
That part doesn't work with TiVo. Their boxes can be programed so that if you enter channel 8 it will detect that you have an HD box and redirect you to the HD version which is actually on channel 708 or whatever. But with a TiVo if you type in 8 you get the SD version that's actually assigned to channel 8. Apparently whatever technology they're using for that redirect is not CableCARD compatible.
Not always true. Some cable systems will remap to the HD version on a TiVo.

I think this is annoying, since some HD channels stretch/skew/mangle SD content on the HD version of the channel, and I want to watch the un-mangled version on the SD channel.
Premiere (320GB) w/ MoCA adapter
Mini

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 12:38 AM   #6
Dan203
Super Moderator

I've seen that a few times. I wish the Zoom button worked on HD content and not just SD. Would make things like that easier to deal with. Although the aspect button on my TV does work, so I still have a way around it.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 10:20 AM   #7
k2ue
Retired RF Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
That seems to only be the case for Analog SD channels -- here in Rochester NY we are scheduled for the new system on Oct 15th, but already most SD Digital channels (above 100 and below 1000) are now showing 1080i instead of 480i on TiVo. It appears they are doing it in two phases: the first unannounced phase, send HD to HD boxes (resulting in duplicates on previously SD channels); the second on the specified date, remap to the new channel scheme, eliminating the duplicate channel numbers.

Last edited by k2ue : 10-03-2013 at 12:58 PM.
k2ue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:26 PM   #8
skaggs
AlbanyHDTV

The lineup change happened this morning.

The way I found out was when I tuned to channel 1810, which is normally the HD version of WTEN 10 (local ABC affiliate) and instead found the Playboy-on-demand channel.

My three TiVos have not downloaded the new channel lineup, which is wreaking havoc with my season passes.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:00 AM   #9
socrplyr

Quote:
The lineup change happened this morning.

The way I found out was when I tuned to channel 1810, which is normally the HD version of WTEN 10 (local ABC affiliate) and instead found the Playboy-on-demand channel.

My three TiVos have not downloaded the new channel lineup, which is wreaking havoc with my season passes.
I don't know that you want to do this, but there is a Digital Rebuild on Zap2it's listings. You can redo the guided setup and use that. You will have to change back however after the regular lineup is correct. It may or may not be worth it for you. Also, many of your season passes may not automatically transition anyways. The channel ID on the Zap2it listing is the SD one, not the HD one. If that ends up that way, it looks like this might be pretty messy for you and you may have to remake all your season passes.
socrplyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:04 AM   #10
socrplyr

One way that things "might" be easier if you have the issues with the channel names changing is if you have a second Tivo. I was given an option of choosing a channel when transferring Season Passes via the website.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:44 AM   #11
the block

Skaggs you have to re-do guided setup and make sure you do advanced options after selecting TWC as your cable provider. After that you are presented with about 4 different lineups. Mine was Schenectady - Extended Digital Rebuild, something like that. After that it took a couple tries but I finally got my new guide. Unfortunately, NONE of the season passes fixed themselves to the new channel numbers, so I have to re-do the whole thing. I'm super excited about it.
the block is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:24 AM   #12
HowHH

I expected that I would have to redo my season passes. What I did not expect was that I would lose HD for the broadcast channels.

Example: I manually changed 1810 for WTEN for the new channel as indicated by TW. Previously 1810 was received in HD. The new channel for WTEN is SD only. The supposed redirection to the HD version is not happening for TIVO. Would having a tuning adaptor fix this, or is the problem at TW's end?
HowHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:37 AM   #13
the block

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowHH View Post
I expected that I would have to redo my season passes. What I did not expect was that I would lose HD for the broadcast channels.

Example: I manually changed 1810 for WTEN for the new channel as indicated by TW. Previously 1810 was received in HD. The new channel for WTEN is SD only. The supposed redirection to the HD version is not happening for TIVO. Would having a tuning adaptor fix this, or is the problem at TW's end?
You have to stay out of the 1-99's on a TiVo or you will only get the SD feed. If I recall correctly, only a TWC box or DVR will automatically detect the HD version of the feed in that range. For the local networks, find them in the 1200's, you'll get them in HD. Everything else should be in the 100s-??? (I don't have the new channel numbers/categories in front of me or memorized to know how far up it goes) in HD.
Old 10-09-2013, 10:54 AM   #14
HowHH

I don't have the numbers in front of me either, but even the new broadcast channel numbers in the 1200's came through in SD. Are they coming through in HD for you on your Tivo?
Old 10-09-2013, 11:02 AM   #15
the block

Quote:
I don't have the numbers in front of me either, but even the new broadcast channel numbers in the 1200's came through in SD. Are they coming through in HD for you on your Tivo?
Yeah, though I also have a tuning adapter.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:06 AM   #16
skaggs
AlbanyHDTV

Quote:
I don't have the numbers in front of me...
http://www.timewarnercable.com/conte...ure_Albany.pdf
Old 10-09-2013, 12:11 PM   #17
languid

Exclamation

hello, I live in albany and have a tivo with cablecard and tuning adapter. my tivo has not updated it's channel lineup or program data yet, I tried to manually update the program information but it is still the same. will this happen? I rebooted the tivo and still nothing.
languid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 12:15 PM   #18
HowHH

Quote:
Originally Posted by the block View Post
Yeah, though I also have a tuning adapter.
That may be it then. When I get home I will have to hook up the tuning adaptor and see what happens. I picked one up about a month ago when TW offered them to Tivo users for SDV channels, but did not hook it up as the rep said it would probably not change much for me.
Old 10-09-2013, 12:24 PM   #19
skaggs
AlbanyHDTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by languid View Post
hello, I live in albany and have a tivo with cablecard and tuning adapter. my tivo has not updated it's channel lineup or program data yet, I tried to manually update the program information but it is still the same. will this happen? I rebooted the tivo and still nothing.
"the block" previously stated to re-do guided setup (see his post above).

I haven't tried this yet, but will later this afternoon.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:45 PM   #20
skaggs
AlbanyHDTV

I repeated Guided Setup and the new channel lineup was successfully downloaded.

I also rebooted both the Tuning Adapter and the TiVo. It appears the shows are in HD.

However, all my Season passes are all screwed up. For example, the Season Pass Manager shows that Homeland is still scheduled to record on the old Showtime channel (1885) instead of the new Showtime channel (551).
Old 10-09-2013, 09:02 PM   #21
skaggs
AlbanyHDTV

Is there a way to modify the Season Pass channel without deleting it and re-creating with the correct channel?
Old 10-09-2013, 09:53 PM   #22
languid

Quote:
"the block" previously stated to re-do guided setup (see his post above).

I haven't tried this yet, but will later this afternoon.
thank you, this fixed it, but not all of my season passes updated so i had to re-do some of them.
languid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 10:05 AM   #23
Bill@LakeGeorge

I repeated guided setup on my S3 and I got thru to "Getting Program Info" and it is stuck on "Preparing" for over an hour now. Should I wait or reboot?
Bill@LakeGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 11:42 AM   #24
the block

Quote:
Is there a way to modify the Season Pass channel without deleting it and re-creating with the correct channel?
Not that I have found. It has been a painful process so far. Even more annoying for shows that aren't in season right now and can't add season passes for. I'm afraid I'll forget to re-add them when the shows start again.
Old 10-10-2013, 11:50 AM   #25
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill@LakeGeorge View Post
I repeated guided setup on my S3 and I got thru to "Getting Program Info" and it is stuck on "Preparing" for over an hour now. Should I wait or reboot?
Probably, at this point (although hanging like that may be a harbinger of trouble to come), but what drove you to repeat all of GS instead of just making whatever changes were necessary?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 11:54 AM   #26
socrplyr

Quote:
If you happen to have two Tivo's on your account, then you can use the web tool to copy them and it gives you an option to choose the channel (copy them and then copy them back...). That might work.
Even if you don't do it this way, the web is probably the quickest way to make a lot of season passes.

Also, another thing that you could try is kmttg. I haven't seen anyone try this, but you can download your season passes. They go to a text file. Then you can edit the text file to have the right channel numbers and station ID (the station ID might be hard to figure out, but if you already have one season pass on that station you can copy it.) Then upload them back to the Tivo. Again, I have never tried this, but if you have a LOT of season passes it might be worth it.
Old 10-10-2013, 11:55 AM   #27
skaggs
AlbanyHDTV

I started a chat session with TiVo support in order to determine the best way to get my season passes to indicate the correct (new) channel. I was told there are only two options:
  1. Re-do guided setup in the hopes that corrects the channel numbers in my season passes
  2. Manually delete and the re-enter each of my 40+ season passes

Here's the transcript from my chat session with TiVo support:

Quote:
Niles: Thank you for contacting TiVo! My name is Niles. So that I may better assist you, are you an existing customer?

Skaggs: Yes

Niles: Thank you for verifying your information Mark. How may I assist you today?

Skaggs: Time Warner in Albany, NY recently implemented a total change of their channel lineup. Nearly every channel changed position (number) in the lineup.

I re-did guided setup and that updated my Premiere units with the newest channel lineup.

My question is concerning the Season Passes that are already scheduled. The channel number listed in each season pass refers to the wrong channel. For example, my season pass to Homeland on Showtime indicates it will recod on channel 1885, which is the old location for Showtime HD. Showtime HD is now on channel 551. I cannot go into each season pass and change the channel number. Do I have to delete each season pass and re-create a new season pass or will TiVo still record the correct show on the correct channel at the correct time?

Niles: I can definitely address this setup question with you.

Niles: Typically that is moved on its own to the new channels. However, if that was not able to change after guided setup, you would want to manually add or adjust the channels for that.

Skaggs: The Channel number in each season pass cannot be adjusted manually.

Niles: You would delete those and add them back in then.

Skaggs: I have over 40 Season Passes. Are you stating that I need to delete all 40 and then re-enter them manually via the remote on my TiVo?

Skaggs: There is no easier way?

Niles: If that guided setup didn't automatically change that, we could only manually update that.

Skaggs: OK, go ahead and manually update my Season Passes.

Niles: I apologize for the confusion. You would manually update that.

Skaggs: There's no way for it to be done automatically or with little/no effort on my part?

Niles: No the guided setup should do that when possible.

Niles: You could try guided setup again if you would like.

Skaggs: I will definitely try guided setup again before deleting all my Season Passes and re-entering them manually.

Niles: Sounds like a plan.

Skaggs: Copying from one TiVo to another and back again via Season Pass Manager on TiVo.com would not do the trick?

Niles: We have never had that reported as a success by customers.

Skaggs: I'm disappointed that this is such a difficult and time consuming process.

Niles: We apologize for the frustration with that. Generally with the correct episode ID and guide procedures, this is automatically done with the guided setup.

Skaggs: I have 4 TiVo's with lifetime service. I should not have to spend hours and hours manually entering season passes when a lineup change occurs.

Niles: Correct, which is why we have that automated procedure for when the guide has changed. In these rare instances manual control is needed.

Skaggs: I can see you are not going to provide an acceptable fix for me.

Skaggs: Have a GREAT afternoon.

Niles: You too. Thank you for contacting TiVo today. There will be a brief satisfaction survey emailed to you. We would appreciate any feedback on your TiVo Chat support experience today.

Niles has disconnected.

Old 10-10-2013, 03:31 PM   #28
Bill@LakeGeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Probably, at this point (although hanging like that may be a harbinger of trouble to come), but what drove you to repeat all of GS instead of just making whatever changes were necessary?
I did reboot and everything went well, though it took over an hour.

I did the GS because none of the new channels from TWC were showing up. It usually takes a day or two for my TiVo to pickup the new channels.
Bill@LakeGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 04:05 PM   #29
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

FWIW, I believe the season passes *will* catch up after a redo of GS - but it takes a while (frankly, I'd give it up to 48 hours after redoing GS before deeming it a failure).
LoadStar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 05:47 PM   #30
mobouser

Im in the same place with TWC, so how do I rerun guided setup cant find a link and cant find it in the prompts for my Premier.
mobouser is offline   Reply With Quote