TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 10-09-2013, 12:06 AM   #61
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcady View Post
The TiVo sees when you press TV buttons on your remote. Why doesn't it just keep the stream going until it sees that you have pressed the TV power button? I think the TiVo can safely assume that if you turn off the TV, then you don't need an active stream.

At least make this an option.
But in my case, with one of my Minis, I still need it playing the content when I turn the TV off. I have a stand alone DVD burner in that room, and I will put the Lifetime movies I record for my girlfriend on disc. So when I do that I will turn off the TV after I start the recording. When I had a Premiere in the room I had no issue, but with the Mini, I need to make sure I go into the room and hit the info button so it doesn't time out. Well I've never tested it to see if it will time out, but from what I've read it should timeout after 90 minutes. I wish it was adjustable, that way I would make the timeout 180 minutes in that room. While the mini in my other room I would make the timeout only 15 or 20 minutes.

Or does the Mini still timeout when playing back a previously recorded show? If not, then I don't need to worry about it any more?
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 12:34 AM   #62
Jeremy5

I scripted a telnet command to send IRCODE CC_OFF every 60 minutes to both of my minis. They haven't went to sleep in about a week now.

I sure hope Tivo gives us some control over this setting, but for now this is working.
Jeremy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:46 AM   #63
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy5 View Post
I scripted a telnet command to send IRCODE CC_OFF every 60 minutes to both of my minis. They haven't went to sleep in about a week now.

I sure hope Tivo gives us some control over this setting, but for now this is working.
That would work as long as you place your Mini onto the menu when you are done. Otherwise you are permanently allocating a tuner to your Mini.

I would rather see HDMI CEC control enabled. With CEC control the Mini will know that the TV is on and receiving a signal from the Mini.

If it is off, it can release the tuner immediately, if it is on then I keeps it forever.

Older receivers and TV's may not support the CEC communication, but this is exactly what it was designed for.
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo

Last edited by bradleys : 10-09-2013 at 09:52 AM.
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:53 AM   #64
jmpage2

I think that some people would be okay with permanent allocation of a tuner to a Mini... the problem is, many more who would NOT be okay with it would turn the setting for timeout to "never" anyway, then complain that a tuner was unavailable for recording.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:55 AM   #65
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
That would work as long as you place your Mini onto the menu when you are done. Otherwise you are permanently allocating a tuner to your Mini.
With six tuners permanently allocating of one tuner is not so bad for many people, my wife keeps the TV on in the kitchen most of the day when she is home, Mini not going to work, she also likes the bedroom TV on all night, Mini not going to work for that, so I have only one place to use a Mini, in my wife's dressing table/bathroom as she never spends more than 90 min in there without using the remote.

Old 10-09-2013, 10:55 AM   #66
Jeremy5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
Otherwise you are permanently allocating a tuner to your Mini.
Which is exactly my intention.
Jeremy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 11:07 AM   #67
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
With six tuners permanently allocating of one tuner is not so bad for many people, my wife keeps the TV on in the kitchen most of the day when she is home, Mini not going to work, she also likes the bedroom TV on all night, Mini not going to work for that, so I have only one place to use a Mini, in my wife's dressing table/bathroom as she never spends more than 90 min in there without using the remote.
Then it sounds like Jeremy's simple solution is a good one - if you have an always on PC or server. I do and it sounds like Jeremy does - but, I suspect most don't.

Just as a thought exercise, I wonder how hard it would be to setup a Raspberry Pi to do that kind of duty...
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo

Last edited by bradleys : 10-09-2013 at 11:13 AM.
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 12:58 PM   #68
Loach

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
But in my case, with one of my Minis, I still need it playing the content when I turn the TV off. I have a stand alone DVD burner in that room, and I will put the Lifetime movies I record for my girlfriend on disc. So when I do that I will turn off the TV after I start the recording. When I had a Premiere in the room I had no issue, but with the Mini, I need to make sure I go into the room and hit the info button so it doesn't time out. Well I've never tested it to see if it will time out, but from what I've read it should timeout after 90 minutes. I wish it was adjustable, that way I would make the timeout 180 minutes in that room. While the mini in my other room I would make the timeout only 15 or 20 minutes.

Or does the Mini still timeout when playing back a previously recorded show? If not, then I don't need to worry about it any more?
I'm fairly certain the Mini only times out during live TV - not during playback of a recorded show.

The 90-minute timeout would be a lot less annoying to me if it would treat non-Tivo IR commands as a "reset". For example, I'm always fiddling with the volume, but that doesn't reset the timeout. Last night watching the Cardinals game I had to remind myself to toggle the guide button periodically so it didn't time out at an exciting point in the game.
Loach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 07:36 PM   #69
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
I'm fairly certain the Mini only times out during live TV - not during playback of a recorded show.

The 90-minute timeout would be a lot less annoying to me if it would treat non-Tivo IR commands as a "reset". For example, I'm always fiddling with the volume, but that doesn't reset the timeout. Last night watching the Cardinals game I had to remind myself to toggle the guide button periodically so it didn't time out at an exciting point in the game.
I think you get a screen warning before the Mini goes to sleep.

Old 10-10-2013, 09:37 PM   #70
Loach

Quote:
I think you get a screen warning before the Mini goes to sleep.
Yes, true. But when you clear the warning the screen blanks out for a couple seconds and when it returns it seems to be a couple seconds behind live TV. I have to hit the skip button to catch back up to live TV. Very annoying during live sports.
Old 10-11-2013, 03:06 PM   #71
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:

Yes, true. But when you clear the warning the screen blanks out for a couple seconds and when it returns it seems to be a couple seconds behind live TV. I have to hit the skip button to catch back up to live TV. Very annoying during live sports.
It's always going to be behind something live since it is written to the hard drive and then read off of it before you view it. And this is after any delay introduced by the broadcaster or cable provider.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 04:49 PM   #72
lessd

Quote:
How are you clearing the warning ??

Old 10-12-2013, 07:45 AM   #73
TC25D

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSPhillips View Post
My wife complained that the Mini is annoying because if it stays on the same channel for a while it will ask to go into sleep mode.
Quote:
Even the CSR I talk to uses her TiVo-TV to go to sleep, and would not like her TV to go off every 90 min. (Until she asked someone she did not even know this was an unadvertised feature of this product.)
Quote:
TiVo should fix this as some people may want to use the Mini in the bedroom and getting up every 90 minutes would be a bummer, also some people like to have the TV on in the Kitchen when working and not have it go off every 90 minutes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grawdon View Post
you just want the TV on for background. Or maybe to keep a child or pet company. Having to go to the remote every 90 minutes is silly. This should be an option, not mandatory. I called TiVo and they told me it wouldn't be changed. Period. No discussion.

I'm thinking of returning mine as I am in the 30 day return period.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahanne View Post
But what about people who are mentally disabled and can't click on the remote every 90 minutes to keep it active?
During night time, what if you're a night owl and stay up until the wee hours of the night and don't want to have to keep hitting the freaking remote every 90 minutes?
Quote:
But in my case, with one of my Minis, I still need it playing the content when I turn the TV off. I have a stand alone DVD burner in that room, and I will put the Lifetime movies I record for my girlfriend on disc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
I think that some people would be okay with permanent allocation of a tuner to a Mini... the problem is, many more who would NOT be okay with it would turn the setting for timeout to "never" anyway, then complain that a tuner was unavailable for recording.
All these use cases indicate TiVo should simply give us the option to make the Timeout = 0, i.e., never timeout.

Sadly, the vitriolic posts, e.g., calling the current situation 'ridiculous' and accusing TiVo of some kind of ill intent are childish.
TC25D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 10:29 AM   #74
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

You're reading WAY more into what people are posting than what I see, they're just frustrated (with good reason) that Tivo has once again decided for the user what they think everyone should have. Nobody here is accusing Tivo of maliciously doing this.

Lack of configurability for basic options like this (frex, the live TV buffer length) is one of my biggest beefs w/Tivo.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 03:08 PM   #75
Loach

Quote:
How are you clearing the warning ??
By pressing the Select button in response to the "Still there?" message.
Old 10-13-2013, 03:13 PM   #76
Loach

Quote:
It's always going to be behind something live since it is written to the hard drive and then read off of it before you view it. And this is after any delay introduced by the broadcaster or cable provider.
Yeah that recently dawned on me while on the phone with my brother during an NLCS game. He was watching on a Cox HD cable box and clearly was seeing the action before I was on my Mini.
Old 10-14-2013, 03:15 PM   #77
jaredmwright

Jeremy, do you mind sharing your script with those of us here? I wouldn't mind trying this out as I am considering rolling out Minis to replace my Premieres.
-TiVo Mini (MoCa) HDMI
-TiVo Mini (MoCa) HDMI
DirecTV HR22 HDMI & Slingbox Solo COMPONENT
jaredmwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 10:48 AM   #78
pillpusher84

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredmwright View Post
Jeremy, do you mind sharing your script with those of us here? I wouldn't mind trying this out as I am considering rolling out Minis to replace my Premieres.
yes, please share ... I would also like to test out
pillpusher84 is offline   Reply With Quote