TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-03-2013, 08:46 AM   #1
crazycabbie

LAN Packet losses and slow ping times to new Roamio causing stream disconnects

I recently bought a Roamio and two Minis. This is my first TiVo since 2005, so I was excited to get back to TiVo with the new DVR.

However, the experience so far has been less than enjoyable. When everything works, it's great, the problem is that my Minis regularly lose their connection (V87 error) to the Roamio and the stream cuts out. Sometimes it happens every 5 minutes, sometimes it takes an hour. But it always happens.

I'm fairly tech savvy, and I've tried a million and one troubleshooting techniques. I've spent hours on the phone with TiVo support. I've tried plugging my Roamio and the Minis directly into two different routers using different cables. No matter what I do, when I ping my Roamio, I regularly get ping times above 1ms (often as high as 10ms) and regular packet losses on my LAN.

Anyone have any thoughts? Could my Roamio just have a bad NIC? I'm at my wits end here.

Thanks!
crazycabbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:41 AM   #2
tmagnum000

Are you using a green switch/router?
tmagnum000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:36 PM   #3
crazycabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmagnum000 View Post
Are you using a green switch/router?
No. Why?
Old 09-04-2013, 12:49 PM   #4
ShayL

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycabbie View Post
No. Why?
There have been reports of issues that between the roamio and minis with them. The issues stopped when the green switch was replaced.
ShayL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:12 PM   #5
crazycabbie

Does anyone else get regular pings over 1ms when they ping their TiVos? I'd say every 10 pings or so is 2ms or higher, up to 10ms.
Old 10-05-2013, 11:14 AM   #6
MoranJ2000

I know this isn't too helpful, but for what it's worth I am having a similar problem between a Roamio and two Premieres.

Up until I added the Roamio the day before yesterday, my Premieres had zero problems streaming to/from each other.

Then I added the Roamio, and when I use it to stream shows from either of the Premieres, I eventually lose the connection. It might be 10 seconds, or 10 minutes, but I always wind up with a V87 error. Similarly, if I try to stream something from the Roamio and watch it on the Premiere, the same thing happens.

Meanwhile, the two Premieres stream from each other as rock solid as they ever had.

I called TiVo tech support, and they were not helpful. They told me to wait until 72 hours activation for all features to be supported (for me this will be mid-afternoon on Monday 10/7), which is nonsense.

Clearly there is a problem with the Roamio's ability to maintain a reliable connection, and this is a concern since I'm eventually planning to replace those Premieres with Minis.

I'm going to call back support on Monday at attempt to get this escalated to someone who knows something, otherwise the Roamio is getting returned. It's way too expensive to be dealing with this kind of stuff.

Joe
MoranJ2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 11:19 AM   #7
MoranJ2000

Crazycabbie,

I forgot to mention that my ping times from the Roamio are pretty much 1 ms or less-- a few times it's been 2 or 3 ms, but not higher than that.

I should also add that I'm using Green Ethernet switches. I seriously doubt that has anything to do with it Roamio's connectivity (it certainly shouldn't) but I'll probably try temporarily replacing them as a last resort before I give up on the Roamio.

Joe
Old 10-08-2013, 12:44 PM   #8
Ucmike

Use an old switch

I was in the same boat. Brand new roamio and brand new mini and couldn't watch anything (recorded, live or streaming) on the mini without it being interrupted because of a connection loss to the roamio. Sometimes the connection was lost after watching for 1 minute, sometimes 5 or 10. I too tried everything (moca, direct Ethernet connections, etc.) to no avail. I had both devices plugged directly in to a brand new motorloa surfboard modem/gateway router and then I started reading about all these problems with "green switches". I have no idea what those are but figured since my surfboard was new, it might be one. So I dusted off a 10 year old netgear switch, plugged that into the surfboard, and then plugged the roamio and mini into the old switch. Viola! Works like a charm...no cut outs at all. I even enabled moca on the roamio and tried connecting the mini that way and it works perfectly too. Not sure why the roamio doesn't like new switch/gateway tech, but that seemed to be my problem. I hope that's that cause of your problem too, b/c it's a pretty easy fix (as long as you have an old switch lying around). Good luck!

Last edited by Ucmike : 10-10-2013 at 01:03 AM.
Ucmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 07:25 PM   #9
MoranJ2000

Thanks for the feedback.

Unfortunately, I don't have any old switches lying around. I moved into a new house less than a year ago, and all my switches are new and green.

It seems that pretty much every new switch on sale these days is green in some way shape or form. I even just ordered one from Amazon that I thought was not green (because the word was not used in the product description), but when I got it, it in fact was green.

I'm glad to know that ditching the green switch is at least a demonstrable workaround to this issue. Sooner or later, I will find or buy a switch that will play nice with the Roamio.

But I must say I find it slightly ludicrous that TiVo's flagship, brand new, state-of-the-art product has such a ridiculous bug in it, and this is six weeks after launch.

Moreover, the only reason I know about the green switch angle is because of yours and other posts on unofficial forms. It would be nice if TiVo disseminated this info to their support reps and gave some indication of when it would be fixed.

Sigh. I can't say I'm surprised. I've been a TiVo customer since 2001-- almost as long as TiVo has been a company-- and they've always made things difficult for their early adopters.

<stepping down from soapbox>

Anyway, thanks for the info. It's much appreciated.
Old 10-09-2013, 05:50 AM   #10
MScottC

TiVo Margaret has announced a fix for the green switch issue is rolling out starting today. Perhaps you want to call Tech Support and get yourself pushed to the top of the software implementation list.
MScottC is offline   Reply With Quote