TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-07-2013, 09:46 AM   #1
astrohip
Stuart F

The Mentalist: Season Six "Red John: The Final Chapter"

Since this is the season we will discover who Red John is, I thought we should have a thread to discuss it as the episodes unfold.

** Spoilers allowed up to the most recently aired episode **

BTW, there was already one thread on the season premiere (S6E1) located here.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:03 PM   #2
busyba
The Funcooker

I guess Bertam, McCallister and Smith are probably RJ minions.

Partridge is dead, so it's probably not him (even though I still think RJs voice sounds just like him, to the point where it's almost unfair that it's not him).

The really made Haffner look super hinky in episode 2, so it's probably not him.

I think it's Kirkland. He's been my pick all along, after Partridge (although my picking Partridge was only because of the voice).

"of course, you are 100% correct" --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

busyba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 02:14 PM   #3
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by busyba View Post

Partridge is dead, so it's probably not him (even though I still think RJs voice sounds just like him, to the point where it's almost unfair that it's not him).
I know we had CSI types saying that Partridge is dead but did we see a body?
Did we?

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 02:19 PM   #4
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYoung View Post
Did we?
I don't think we did, but Jane was in the house, no? I'm sure he did.

Also, the first responders (after Lisbon) were a bunch of local PD LEOs, so I think pulling a fake-death stunt in that instance would be improbable.

Old 10-07-2013, 04:59 PM   #5
verdugan

Quote:

Also, the first responders (after Lisbon) were a bunch of local PD LEOs, so I think pulling a fake-death stunt in that instance would be improbable.
Well, they did take over an hour to arrive when Lisbon asked for back up, and red John has more moles than the CIA, so it's possible that somebody on sac pd helped with the deception.

In other words, the writers could pull this out of their, you know what.
verdugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 05:54 PM   #6
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:

That's what Red John WANTS you to think!

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:42 PM   #7
Malcontent
Aka: Smiling Bob

Quote:

I think it's Kirkland. He's been my pick all along, after Partridge (although my picking Partridge was only because of the voice).
For some reason RJs voice sounds like the actor Garret Dillahunt from 'Raising Hope' to me. <shrug>
Malcontent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:31 PM   #8
secondclaw

Is it at all possible that RJ is several (or all) of the suspects? That's why 'he' appears to be all-knowing? With voice modulation maybe it's possible to pull it off. Maybe Partridge was one of them but was removed because it became a liability. I know it's a stretch.
secondclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:38 PM   #9
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

They certainly hinted at that this week, with the three suspects talking menacingly among themselves.

Probably a red herring, but you never know.
Old 10-07-2013, 10:14 PM   #10
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
They certainly hinted at that this week, with the three suspects talking menacingly among themselves.

I see what you did there.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 06:31 AM   #11
eddyj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post

I had the same thought, and the same reaction (too obviously done).

eddyj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 07:49 AM   #12
busyba
The Funcooker

Red John is all of us!

Old 10-08-2013, 07:56 AM   #13
loubob57
Cancer sucks!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Red John is ... PATRICK JANE!

Wouldn't that be fun - not.
Old 10-08-2013, 08:04 AM   #14
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by loubob57 View Post
Red John is ... PATRICK JANE!

Wouldn't that be fun - not.
I think fans have been wondering this for years.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:44 AM   #15
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by betts4 View Post
I think fans have been wondering this for years.
To the point where the showrunner has gone on record to say that Patrick is not RJ.

Old 10-08-2013, 10:13 AM   #16
Dirk Legume

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcontent View Post
For some reason RJs voice sounds like the actor Garret Dillahunt from 'Raising Hope' to me. <shrug>
I thought this too. I have convinced myself that it was him. And I believe he has played bad guys in the past.

Sooooo...If he shows up in an episode...
Dirk Legume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 10:44 AM   #17
loubob57
Cancer sucks!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Legume View Post
I thought this too. I have convinced myself that it was him. And I believe he has played bad guys in the past.

Sooooo...If he shows up in an episode...
He was a Terminator. That's a bad guy isn't it?
Old 10-08-2013, 04:20 PM   #18
bacevedo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYoung View Post
Did we?
I agree, we never did actually see the body. In every other Red John murder, the body was always shown with the smiley face nearby. In this case, the body wasn't shown and the blood smiley was put on Lisbon's face. I think there is something to that.

We saw Jane running from the house asking for water, and when he got it, Lisbon was already in the ambulance. Why was Jane running from the house? Maybe he saw that it wasn't Partridge. I thought maybe he was taking a sample of the blood from Lisbon's face for later use to see who's blood it really was.

If Partridge was dead, why didn't they show how he died? He was still alive when Lisbon was there, so what did Red John actually do to him?
bacevedo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:57 AM   #19
mr.unnatural

Red John is really the smoke monster from Lost.

FWIW, when CBS moved this show to Sunday night they killed it for me. I just got tired of having to deal with NFL overruns and having to pad recordings by an hour. Fox has the right idea for Sunday night scheduling and learned how to handle extended games the correct way. CBS just needs to get a clue.

OTOH, I do still watch The Good Wife. Patrick Jane was getting to be just too much of a wimp to keep me interested. I'm surprised somebody hasn't kicked the crap out of him by now for being such a smart ass.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:06 AM   #20
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.unnatural View Post
FWIW, when CBS moved this show to Sunday night they killed it for me. I just got tired of having to deal with NFL overruns and having to pad recordings by an hour. Fox has the right idea for Sunday night scheduling and learned how to handle extended games the correct way. CBS just needs to get a clue.

My understanding is that the problem isn't CBS not having a clue, the problem is 60 Minutes having too much juice to let CBS get creative. 60M refuses to yield its 7pm timeslot, even if it means it sometimes gets delayed by occasional football overruns.

Old 10-09-2013, 01:31 PM   #21
mr.unnatural

Quote:
My understanding is that the problem isn't CBS not having a clue, the problem is 60 Minutes having too much juice to let CBS get creative. 60M refuses to yield its 7pm timeslot, even if it means it sometimes gets delayed by occasional football overruns.
That would be fine if 60 Minutes actually aired at 7PM. The reality is that it airs anywhere between 7 and 8PM and sometimes even later. If there's a late afternoon game on CBS then everything is pretty much guaranteed to get pushed back. I believe the later games are now starting at 4:30PM instead of 4 so that there's no overlap with the earlier 1:00 games. I stopped watching 60 Minutes over 15 years ago due to their screwed up schedule.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 09:08 AM   #22
astrohip
Stuart F

Potential episode title spoiler (but no real spoiler info; just an episode title):

Spoiler:
Episode 9 (S6E9) is "My Blue Heaven". Since Mentalist episodes are usually red based, could this be a sign that something will change in (or has changed by) ep9?

astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 09:31 AM   #23
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacevedo View Post
We saw Jane running from the house asking for water, and when he got it, Lisbon was already in the ambulance. Why was Jane running from the house? Maybe he saw that it wasn't Partridge. I thought maybe he was taking a sample of the blood from Lisbon's face for later use to see who's blood it really was.
Jane just wanted to clean up Lisbon's face. He was so appalled that RJ would do that to her, that he rushed to get the water to accomplish that goal.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 05:36 PM   #24
bacevedo

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
Jane just wanted to clean up Lisbon's face. He was so appalled that RJ would do that to her, that he rushed to get the water to accomplish that goal.
Mabye that's what we are supposed to think, but it just seemed odd to me that he came running from the house asking for water. I thought he would run back in to the house to give her water but then she was already in the ambulance. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but it just struck me as odd at the time.

It's going to be kind of annoying to have them give each suspect something that makes them the likely "Red John" as they did in the latest episode with the sheriff. Instead of trying to figure out who the real Red John is, I am just going to wait until the reveal as there is so much misdirection.
bacevedo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 06:31 PM   #25
busyba
The Funcooker

Maybe they're all Red John, like in Murder on the Orient Express.

Old 10-19-2013, 01:45 AM   #26
Church AV Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
I agree that he wanted to clean the blood off her face, but I'm not exactly sure why. Was he protecting her from the trauma, or did he not want anyone to know except RJ and himself, hoping one of them would slip up and say something about it.

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it. - JOA
Church AV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 03:28 AM   #27
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post
I agree that he wanted to clean the blood off her face, but I'm not exactly sure why. Was he protecting her from the trauma, or did he not want anyone to know except RJ and himself, hoping one of them would slip up and say something about it.
Obviously not the latter.
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 08:07 AM   #28
Shakhari

One more suspect gone. I was a bit surprised, because I had him pegged at least as a minion, but it was a nice twist that Jane isn't the only one seeking revenge.

I also thought it was interesting that they addressed the "Patrick Jane is Red John" rumor too.
Shakhari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:39 AM   #29
busyba
The Funcooker

I imagine we'll be seeing the actor sometime in the future playing the twin brother.

So if the FBI agent is part of the Tyger conspiracy, then the sheriff and Bertram probably are as well (based on that meeting the 3 of them were having in Bertram's office?), and probably none of them are Red John (if any of them were, I would think the body language of the other 2 in the meeting would have been completely different). So it's either Reed or Styles.

My money is on Reed.

So what was that conversation between Jane and Kirkland after Kirkland was taken into custody about? Kirkland said he had stuff to say, but couldn't say it there and that Jane should come see him some time and Jane said okay. But both of them had to have known that Kirkland was a dead man walking. Why not tell Jane everything right then?

Old 10-21-2013, 02:13 PM   #30
Shakhari

Quote:
So it's either Reed or Styles.

My money is on Reed.
You mean Ray Haffner? It's certainly beginning to look that way. Styles certainly seems to have some sort of connection to Red John and Red John has some sort of connection to Visualize, but I can't see the head of the cult being able to take off and kill people whenever he wants without anyone noticing. Plus Ray more closely resembles the physical description of Red John we've heard. Styles does not.
Shakhari is offline   Reply With Quote