TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-07-2013, 06:33 AM   #1
flsr

Stuck in guided setup

My Series 3HD is stuck in guided setup with a S03 error. I have tried kickstart 57, numerous restarts, and unplugging the internet for 3 days. Nothing works.

In another thread I noticed mention of also disconnecting my TA, which is something I had not tested.

At this point is there any way to get out of the guided set up?
Is replacing the hard drive my only solution?
flsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:43 AM   #2
dlfl
Cranky old novice

This adjacent thread may be pertinent:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=509772

Disconnecting the TA (the USB cable) for several hours is worth trying.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 10:23 AM   #3
flsr

The suggested link discusses a N11 error code. Mine is S03. I have tried Kickstart 57, 58, 54 and find no issues or solutions.

Questions:
1. How definitive are the hard drive tests relative to eliminating the hard drive as an issue?
2. Assuming the hard drive tests are OK, what next?
Old 10-07-2013, 11:18 AM   #4
sfhub

Quote:
Originally Posted by flsr View Post
The suggested link discusses a N11 error code. Mine is S03. I have tried Kickstart 57, 58, 54 and find no issues or solutions.
I suggest you not focus on the error code itself and follow the suggestions near the end of that thread.

Basically try disconnecting the USB cable for your TA and then select an OTA channel provider rather than cable.

If you can get past the guided setup with a reduced channel data set, then slowly introduce pieces back in until you get the whole system working.
sfhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 12:14 AM   #5
unitron

If you can get into the right menu, try fixing that S03 with Clear Program information & To Do List.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 12:18 AM   #6
unitron

Also, you can try KS 51 and/or 52 to try to get it to switch to the alternate boot partitions to see if that does any good, or you could hook the drive to a PC running Windows XP or better and run WinMFS as administrator and try mfsinfo to see which partitions it's set to boot from. Fix bootpage option 1 will set it to boot from 2,3, and 4 and option 2 will set it to boot from 5,6, and 7. Clicking fix swap might help as well.

Old 10-08-2013, 07:32 AM   #7
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Kickstart 54 is known not to detect all possible HDD problems. So while you have the HDD connected to a PC run the mfr's extended test. If no problems are detected the data will not be corrupted. If there are problems you need a new HDD anyway.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 02:38 PM   #8
flsr

Just to recap: In Sept I had a software update and something interrupted the update. I was gone for most of the month. When I returned I rebooted the Tivo and updated the TV guide, etc. The guide did update the upcoming shows but the Season Mangers and Find Shows did not show any upcoming episodes for any show. I then connected to Tivo Central several times, rebooted several times and kept getting the S03 error. I then tried Kickstart 57 and still had S03. I noticed in another forum a suggestion to go into guided setup and that is where I am stuck. I have disconnected the Tivo from the TA and internet for 4 days, tried all other Kickstart options, tested the hard drive via the menu choices and I still am stuck with S03 and the guided setup. I am looking for direction on where to try next. Do I just throw in the towel and purchase a new hard drive?
Old 10-11-2013, 03:23 PM   #9
sfhub

Quote:
I noticed in another forum a suggestion to go into guided setup and that is where I am stuck. I have disconnected the Tivo from the TA and internet for 4 days, tried all other Kickstart options, tested the hard drive via the menu choices and I still am stuck with S03 and the guided setup. I am looking for direction on where to try next. Do I just throw in the towel and purchase a new hard drive?
S03 is often not a hard drive hardware issue so replacing the hard drive shouldn't even be in the discussion. If you don't care about anything on the drive, just reimage it.

My suggestion, which I posted above but you seem to have missed, is to choose an OTA guide provider since the amount of data is much less and might allow your guided setup to finish before hitting the S03 error. If it works, from there, you can work your way back to your normal cable provider.
sfhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 03:44 PM   #10
unitron

Quote:
Just to recap: In Sept I had a software update and something interrupted the update. I was gone for most of the month. When I returned I rebooted the Tivo and updated the TV guide, etc. The guide did update the upcoming shows but the Season Mangers and Find Shows did not show any upcoming episodes for any show. I then connected to Tivo Central several times, rebooted several times and kept getting the S03 error. I then tried Kickstart 57 and still had S03. I noticed in another forum a suggestion to go into guided setup and that is where I am stuck. I have disconnected the Tivo from the TA and internet for 4 days, tried all other Kickstart options, tested the hard drive via the menu choices and I still am stuck with S03 and the guided setup. I am looking for direction on where to try next. Do I just throw in the towel and purchase a new hard drive?
Can you pull that drive and hook it to a PC (or a Mac that can boot from a cd like the Ultimate Boot cd and that can also run Windows in one of them virtual emulator thingies), and run the manufacturer's long test just to be sure it's nothing to do with the drive mechanically and also look at the drive with WinMFS's mfsinfo?

And while you've got the lid off that TiVo, check the power supply thoroughly for "capacitor plague" so that you know for sure which problems you are or are not dealing with.

If the drive's okay physically but the software's hopelessly borked, you can re-image it.

I'm hoping to have 652 images with the latest (11.0m) ready soon, in the meantime I've got 11.0k images up.

If the drive's got physical problems, it might still be possible to use something like

dd_rescue

to "Xerox" it to another drive and maybe have better luck straightening out the software on it.

Old 10-12-2013, 03:58 PM   #11
flsr

I did try the OTA suggestion and still got the S03 error. This was after waiting 4 days without the TA and the internet connections. As a last ditch attempt, I did a kickstart 58. I got a screen regarding a service update then the warning that it was going to take up to 3 hrs to fix a serious error. The net result is that I am now in a loop. The Tivo goes from powering up screen, to just a few minutes more, to the 3 screen, etc, etc. I have unplugged and restarted without any kickstart and the loop above just keeps going.

Unless I someone has another suggestion, I will move into removing the hard drive and checking the capacitors.
Old 10-12-2013, 04:00 PM   #12
flsr

I am not the greatest computer wizard.

Unitron --- please translate this downwards for a novice.

I'm hoping to have 652 images with the latest (11.0m) ready soon, in the meantime I've got 11.0k images up.

Are you offering a possible solution?
Old 10-12-2013, 07:20 PM   #13
unitron

Quote:
I am not the greatest computer wizard.

Unitron --- please translate this downwards for a novice.

Are you offering a possible solution?
It's a solution you might not like very much.

Because you won't be able to save any recordings or settings.

And it requires removing the hard drive from the TiVo and hooking it up to a PC.

Of course at this point most of my other troubleshooting techniques will require the same thing, but at least they hold out the hope of saving your shows.

Before you open it up, you could try Kickstart 52, to get it to switch back to the previous software version.

http://www.weaknees.com/tivo-kickstart-codes.php

But I think that one way or another you're going to have to open up that puppy.

But it's an S3, and S2 and S3 owners should lift the lid and check their power supplies for "capacitor plague" anyway.