TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-06-2013, 10:28 AM   #1
evilotakuneko

Question Truly no work around for target not large enough?

Hello Tivo Community,

So having spent a couple of hours combing through the forum, I could find absolutely no workaround for the problem of "Backup Target not large enough" that occurs if your target drive is even a few MB smaller, even when using a truncated backup image (eg: backup -f 9999 -6so /dos/mybackup.bak /dev/hdc /dev/hdd).

Is this the general consensus? Is this really the sad state of affairs that backup/restore is in? Should I just give it up, and start collecting old >80GB PATA drives so I have a ready supply when failure inevitably occurs again?

Or have I missed something? (An alternative to winmfs/mfslive, perhaps)

I should also mention, I also got this error when trying to restore an image to the same drive it was taken from. /boggle

Last edited by evilotakuneko : 10-06-2013 at 10:46 AM.
evilotakuneko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:15 PM   #2
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilotakuneko View Post
Hello Tivo Community,

So having spent a couple of hours combing through the forum, I could find absolutely no workaround for the problem of "Backup Target not large enough" that occurs if your target drive is even a few MB smaller, even when using a truncated backup image (eg: backup -f 9999 -6so /dos/mybackup.bak /dev/hdc /dev/hdd).

Is this the general consensus? Is this really the sad state of affairs that backup/restore is in? Should I just give it up, and start collecting old >80GB PATA drives so I have a ready supply when failure inevitably occurs again?

I should also mention, I also got this error when trying to restore an image to the same drive it was taken from. /boggle

What model(s) TiVo are we talking about here?

Was the original drive a Maxtor?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 11:05 PM   #3
sfhub

Quote:
Hello Tivo Community,

I don't know which TiVo you are talking about, but can you backup and pipe to restore and adjust the swap partition a few MB less to allow enough space?
sfhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 03:27 PM   #4
evilotakuneko

TCD240040. I got it from my uncle, and he said he replaced the drive with an 80GB from Weaknees. It's a WD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfhub View Post
I don't know which TiVo you are talking about, but can you backup and pipe to restore and adjust the swap partition a few MB less to allow enough space?
I just tried that, and it still complained. I didn't adjust too much because I wasn't sure how it would affect the DVR.

Then, out of frustration, I left the swap entirely off, and it worked. I used "restore -zpi backup-file device". My Tivo's up and running!
Old 10-07-2013, 11:39 PM   #5
unitron

Quote:
TCD240040. I got it from my uncle, and he said he replaced the drive with an 80GB from Weaknees. It's a WD.

I just tried that, and it still complained. I didn't adjust too much because I wasn't sure how it would affect the DVR.

Then, out of frustration, I left the swap entirely off, and it worked. I used "restore -zpi backup-file device". My Tivo's up and running!
Were you trying to put my image or yours on a drive, and were you trying to put it on that same 80GB WD?

Old 10-15-2013, 06:16 PM   #6
evilotakuneko

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Were you trying to put my image or yours on a drive, and were you trying to put it on that same 80GB WD?
Back, sorry for the delay.

I only have my own image. I suppose that would've been my next step if it hadn't worked: try to find someone willing to send me a tivo image.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:05 PM   #7
mdscott

Quote:
Back, sorry for the delay.

I only have my own image. I suppose that would've been my next step if it hadn't worked: try to find someone willing to send me a tivo image.
Take a look in and ask in the Underground section/Upgrade Center

Last edited by mdscott : 10-15-2013 at 07:06 PM. Reason: added forum section
mdscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:45 PM   #8
unitron

Target not large enough may be one of more than one problems.

It could be that the image came from a Series 2 TiVo back when they were shipping with Maxtor drives back when Maxtors had a slightly larger LBA number than other brands when comparing models being sold as the same size in GB.

So a 40GB WD or Seagate isn't big enough if the image was taken from a 40GB Maxtor, and if it was an 80GB Maxtor, an 80GB Seagate or WD won't be big enough.

And I don't think you can trim the swap partition size enough to shoehorn it, either.

Of course you can restore that 40GB Maxtor image to a 60GB or larger drive, and then expand, and that'll work (which is good to keep in mind if your S2 came with a larger than 40GB drive but you can only find a 40GB image).

Then there's the other version of target not large enough, where it actually is large enough, but there's something funky going on with the drive or the software previously on it.

I just went through that with a TCD140.

As for leaving out swap, it could be that you caused it to go with whatever swap size the original had by not telling it any different.

Instead of stockpiling 80GB IDE drives, read through the SATA/IDE adapter thread

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=416883

keeping in mind that it spans a few years and there are some things we know now that we didn't when it started, and maybe start looking for a New Old Stock 1TB SATA drive made a few years ago.