TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-05-2013, 05:47 PM   #1
smgeisler

TiVos won't connect to TiVo service with Asus RT-AC68U router.

I bought an Asus RT-AC68U router to replace a Netgear router. All of my TiVos worked on the Netgear router. With the Asus, every device I own, wired or wireless, work fine except for my 5 TiVos. 4 are wired, 1 is wireless. The 3 Premiers pass the DNS and port tests. All of the TiVos fail the network test connection and fail to connect to the TiVo service, Netflix, etc. All of them see each other and the TiVo server and can stream and transfer OK. They just can't get to the outside (internet). The router has no blocked ports, URLs, IPs, or anything that I can see. TiVo support blames the router and that seems logical up to a point. But obviously TiVo is doing something that no ther device does. I have desktop and laptop computers, my Andriod phone, several tablets, a Sonos system, 2 RoKus, an XBox, a Sirius radio, and probably other stuff I can think of. Every one of them work perfectly whether wired or wireless. Only the TiVos do not work.
Does anyone have a idea of what the problem may be?
Old 10-05-2013, 08:57 PM   #2
CraigK
(unspecified)

I am going to get a new router and this one was on my short list.

Guess I will have to wait a bit.
Old 10-06-2013, 06:31 AM   #3
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Firewall on the router? I bought a router once (don't remember the brand) that had an internal firewall which was automatically active and my Tivos weren't connecting. Since I run a firewall on my PC, I didn't need the one on the router so I turned it off. No problems after that.

You might try:
  • Rebooting the equipment. Unplug router and Tivos. Restart router and let it fully boot, then restart the Tivos, one at a time.
  • Giving each of your Tivos a static IP address outside the range of the DHCP pool of the router.
  • Specifically allowing Tivos access via their mac addresses (should be an option in the router settings). IIRC the Tivos mac address is shown on the Network Settings screen on the Tivo.

That's all I can think of at the moment.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 08:53 AM   #4
smgeisler

Thanks but I tried everything you suggested yesterday several times. TiVo support had me try most of that again.

I also turned everything off. Disconnected everything from the router. Disabled WiFi, restarted the router, connected one TiVo, and tried all 3 methods of assigning the IP and it still wouldn't connect
Old 10-06-2013, 10:23 AM   #5
squint

Any non-OEM firmware for that router? dd-wrt, etc.?
squint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 04:08 PM   #6
MScottC

Have you tried putting one of your TiVos in the DMZ?
MScottC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 05:06 PM   #7
Connelly29

Did you get this resolved? I have the EXACT same issue. Both my Tivos won't connect to the tivo service.
Connelly29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 06:10 PM   #8
Connelly29

I got it working. Downloaded the latest firmware and turned off "Hardware Acceleration".
Connelly29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 06:24 PM   #9
smgeisler

Mine already had the latest firmware and I had hardware acceleration off and I still had the problem.

What finally worked was to use the "Let me assign an IP address" and then use an IP address that was never previously used for the TiVo.
Just assigning a static IP and reserving it didn't work when I used the same IP address that I had used in the old Netgear router. I had to choose one that had never been used before.
Old 10-21-2013, 07:28 PM   #10
CraigK
(unspecified)

I got an RT-AC68R at Best Buy today. This seems to be the same router as the RT-AC68U.

No problems with the TiVos connecting to the internet for updates before or after a firmware upgrade.

Hardware Acceleration was already on and I left it on.

My TiVos were already set up to use static IPs outside the DHCP range so I left that alone.

Nice router (so far).