TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 63 votes, 4.92 average.
Old 10-05-2013, 08:18 PM   #1201
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbach View Post
I think it would work. Haven't got to look at the APM of the Roamios greater than 1TB, but the 2TB XL4 has 3907029168 (hex E8 E0 88 B0) sectors. The last sector that can be addressed with a 32bit APM is 4294967295 (hex FF FF FF FF) and the length of the partition can be the same as well. So as long as you start with a 2TB image and if you could modify JMFS to add a partition at the end with max length of 2TB, it would likely work. In fact, if you keep the modification so that it works with S4s and S5s, it might be able to expand S4s beyond 2TB as well.
The S4s will not even boot with any drive bigger than 2Tb, I tried that out by just using a non expanded copy of a S4 original drive onto a 2.5Tb drive, unit would not even boot when put into a S4 TiVo.

Old 10-05-2013, 08:37 PM   #1202
jmbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
The S4s will not even boot with any drive bigger than 2Tb, I tried that out by just using a non expanded copy of a S4 original drive onto a 2.5Tb drive, unit would not even boot when put into a S4 TiVo.
Well actually ggieseke was able to get an XL to boot a 3TB drive (with a 2TB image) with a minor adjustment to the APM and block0. He was not sure which made it work.
Old 10-06-2013, 12:25 PM   #1203
krisbuxton

Smile Upgrade out of the box confirmed

I can confirm that you can turn a Roamio Pro into the plus model by just swapping out the hard drive. For $135.00 and about 3 minutes of your time.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...acebook0bfe-20
krisbuxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 12:33 PM   #1204
jmpage2

I think you mean plus into pro.... and, yes, many many people have already confirmed that this is a straightforward thing to do.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 01:14 PM   #1205
imacericg

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisbuxton View Post
I can confirm that you can turn a Roamio Pro into the plus model by just swapping out the hard drive. For $135.00 and about 3 minutes of your time.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...acebook0bfe-20
Newbie question, will Roamio Basic take this drive as well? Is this the max TB?
imacericg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 01:51 PM   #1206
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by imacericg View Post
Yes and yes.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 04:56 PM   #1207
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by imacericg View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
Yes and yes.
Just some further clarification. 3TB is the max size we can upgrade too without buying specially prepared drives from Weakness.com. Weakness has single 4TB and dual 4TB (8TB total) drive upgrade solutions.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 05:42 PM   #1208
clark_kent

2TB 2.5 inch disc in a Plus

I haven't read all 41 pages so I'm not sure if anyone has already tried a notebook drive or not.

I put a 2TB Toshiba 2.5 inch notebook drive into a Roamio Plus. It booted up fine and got through setup without any issues. The drive itself is a MQ01ABB200 out of a Toshiba Carvino Portable USB Drive. This might be an alternative for anyone concerned about the power and heat of a 3.5 inch drive in the standard Roamio. I can't confirm if the notebook drive will work or not in a standard Roamio since I don't have one. For anyone interested, the 2TB drive spec's it can be found here:

http://storage.toshiba.eu/cms/en/hdd...?productid=547

Also, incase anyone does want to use a portable drive, a bare 2.5 inch drive will (likely) cost more than a if you buy the same capacity in a "USB portable" drive form and take the drive out of the USB box. Just be aware that not all "USB portable" drives will have a bare disc inside that has a standard power/SATA connector on the bare drive itself.

Food for thought question: how about putting two 2.5 inch 2TB drives inside the Roamio box? Could we get to that magical 4TB capacity that everyone is pining to get without special software "setup tools" that may only run on a Windows machine? Splitting the internal drive power to two drives would be simple enough but can the SATA connector be split to two drives and if it can, would the Roamio recognize the two separate drives on the bus?
clark_kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 08:26 PM   #1209
BobCamp1

Quote:
Originally Posted by clark_kent View Post
I haven't read all 41 pages so I'm not sure if anyone has already tried a notebook drive or not.

I put a 2TB Toshiba 2.5 inch notebook drive into a Roamio Plus. It booted up fine and got through setup without any issues. The drive itself is a MQ01ABB200 out of a Toshiba Carvino Portable USB Drive. This might be an alternative for anyone concerned about the power and heat of a 3.5 inch drive in the standard Roamio. I can't confirm if the notebook drive will work or not in a standard Roamio since I don't have one. For anyone interested, the 2TB drive spec's it can be found here:

http://storage.toshiba.eu/cms/en/hdd...?productid=547

Also, incase anyone does want to use a portable drive, a bare 2.5 inch drive will (likely) cost more than a if you buy the same capacity in a "USB portable" drive form and take the drive out of the USB box. Just be aware that not all "USB portable" drives will have a bare disc inside that has a standard power/SATA connector on the bare drive itself.

Food for thought question: how about putting two 2.5 inch 2TB drives inside the Roamio box? Could we get to that magical 4TB capacity that everyone is pining to get without special software "setup tools" that may only run on a Windows machine? Splitting the internal drive power to two drives would be simple enough but can the SATA connector be split to two drives and if it can, would the Roamio recognize the two separate drives on the bus?
You should be able to use 2.5" hard drives. Note they generally run slower, but Tivos don't need any speed. They are also not as durable, which is probably more of a concern.

There does appear to be a spare SATA connector in there, and a couple more unpopulated connectors too. I have no clue how the Roamio would react to it, though.
BobCamp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 05:48 PM   #1210
tigerspy

Looking to drop in a 3TB WD AV-GP into my Roamio basic, but have a question- and honestly haven't ready every post on this 41 page thread, so maybe someone could help me if it's already been posted.

Can I back up my recordings on my existing drive and restore after dropping in the new drive?
tigerspy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 05:50 PM   #1211
jmbach

There are no tools currently available that will allow you to do this. You can backup and restore your season passes but that is it.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:05 PM   #1212
tigerspy

Quote:
There are no tools currently available that will allow you to do this. You can backup and restore your season passes but that is it.
Can I use Tivo Desktop (or is that software long gone) to transfer to my PC, then back to the Tivo later?
Old 10-09-2013, 06:09 PM   #1213
Devx

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerspy View Post
Can I use Tivo Desktop (or is that software long gone) to transfer to my PC, then back to the Tivo later?
Yes, that should work...if you still have a copy. I believe Tivo retired the regular free version back in June and only offer Tivo Desktop Plus now but I haven't checked since they sent the notice.
THD 2TB x 2
Humax S2 300GB (retired)

Last edited by Devx : 10-09-2013 at 06:10 PM. Reason: Clarification on free version
Devx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 06:53 PM   #1214
jmbach

Quote:
Yes you can. However only those programs that don't have the copy protection bit set. I was thinking about being able to save everything when I replied previously. I am corrected.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:16 PM   #1215
tigerspy

Quote:
Yes you can. However only those programs that don't have the copy protection bit set. I was thinking about being able to save everything when I replied previously. I am corrected.
Oh yeah, I forgot about the copy protection stuff. Just got back into using Tivo, was a user back in like 2003-2004. I'm guessing anything from a digital channel has copy protection?
Old 10-09-2013, 07:18 PM   #1216
gigaguy

Tim Warner here copy-protects about 95% of programs I record.
gigaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:09 PM   #1217
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Oh yeah, I forgot about the copy protection stuff. Just got back into using Tivo, was a user back in like 2003-2004. I'm guessing anything from a digital channel has copy protection?
Copy Protection depends on the cable company and the cable cards. Antenna never copy protects.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:57 PM   #1218
WRX09MD

Quote:
Looking to drop in a 3TB WD AV-GP into my Roamio basic, but have a question- and honestly haven't ready every post on this 41 page thread, so maybe someone could help me if it's already been posted.

Can I back up my recordings on my existing drive and restore after dropping in the new drive?
Try this, worked for me when I transferred everything.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/kmttg/
Slide x 2
Slide Pro x 2
Verizon Fios
WRX09MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:39 PM   #1219
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigaguy View Post
FiOS doesn't protect 95% of things, gawd I love FiOS...
(sorry, not really trying to rub it in, just balancing it out for tigerspy)
Old 10-10-2013, 12:30 AM   #1220
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigaguy View Post
Yeah I know that dude, what a jerk for doing that! Someone should tell his mom. I used to work with his brother Tony and he's no better.
HarperVision is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 11:04 AM   #1221
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRX09MD View Post
Try this, worked for me when I transferred everything.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/kmttg/
kmttg alone doesn't get him what he needs since it doesn't by itself provide a mechanism for getting the recordings back to the TiVo.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 11:28 AM   #1222
unitron

Quote:
Well actually ggieseke was able to get an XL to boot a 3TB drive (with a 2TB image) with a minor adjustment to the APM and block0. He was not sure which made it work.
Does block 0 come before the partition map partition?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 12:27 PM   #1223
jmbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Does block 0 come before the partition map partition?
Yes
Old 10-10-2013, 03:37 PM   #1224
ggieseke

Getting it to boot at all was cool, but making it USE that extra space is what I'm working on now. More in a few weeks.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 09:27 PM   #1225
unitron

Quote:
Yes
Is that where they hide the bootpage?

Old 10-10-2013, 09:38 PM   #1226
jmbach

Quote:
Is that where they hide the bootpage?
Not sure what you are asking. Block0 basically has a TiVo identifier, info on which partition to boot off of, and some other identifying information.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:40 PM   #1227
unitron

Quote:
Not sure what you are asking. Block0 basically has a TiVo identifier, info on which partition to boot off of, and some other identifying information.
I think that's what they call the bootpage, cause that's supposed to be where they keep the which partitions to boot from info that gets re-written if there's a software upgrade sent down the line.

Old 10-11-2013, 05:59 AM   #1228
ggieseke

Quote:
I think that's what they call the bootpage, cause that's supposed to be where they keep the which partitions to boot from info that gets re-written if there's a software upgrade sent down the line.
That's it, and it's always the first 512 bytes on the drive. The first two bytes are an identifier (0x1492), the next two bytes identify the primary and alternate Root partitions, and that's followed by a 128 character boot parameter field. The primary and alternate partitions are usually 3 & 6 or vice versa.

Earlier models have some additional fields with the name, IP address and MAC address. Premieres and Roamios don't bother with that, but they have a 16 byte field that seems to be unique to each drive.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 12:05 PM   #1229
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Newegg has a special on this 3TB red WD drive (WD30EFRX) again. A TCF user above said "quietest ever" and has it in his Roamio.

Newegg Item #: N82E16822236344

Western Digital Red NAS Hard Drive WD30EFRX 3TB IntelliPower 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

coupon Code: EMCYTZT4579
ThreeSoFar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 06:15 AM   #1230
aaronwt
HD Addict

I don't know what "quietest ever" means, but I can hear a Red drive like any other hard drive out there. They still make noise.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote