TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-02-2013, 07:01 AM   #1
dugbug

Hmmm. Apple hires cablelabs exec

Could this get interesting? I have yet to like any cablebox other than my tivo, and the premier has left a bad taste in my mouth (for reasons everyone I think shares). I have not personally used the roameo but if folks could pick up an apple tv with cablebox capability and icloud recording for $99 with no monthly subscription.... (all conjecture on my part btw).

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/...-something-big

Quote:
Mulé revealed his new position in a post to his LinkedIn page on Tuesday (via Multichannel), noting that he started working at Apple in September. Under the Experience column, Mulé said he would be "Challenged, inspired and part of something big" in his role as Engineering Director.

The hire was confirmed by Mulé's most recent employer CableLabs, which is now looking to fill the outgoing executive's former position of Senior VP of Technology Development.

Mulé has a pedigree in cable technology, and most recently worked for two years as CableLabs' SVP of Technology Development. During that time, he founded the firm's San Francisco office, which is currently building out a new research and development center in Sunnyvale, Calif. Prior to that, Mulé served as CableLabs' director of PacketCable Architecture and chief architect.

Old 10-02-2013, 10:13 AM   #2
lessd

The price one would have to pay in lag time for cloud IPTV would not be something I would want as all you could save is the cable TV part of the triple play package, that in itself is not that much money. I don't like the lag time I now have using OD.

Old 10-02-2013, 11:04 AM   #3
moedaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dugbug View Post
Could this get interesting? I have yet to like any cablebox other than my tivo, and the premier has left a bad taste in my mouth (for reasons everyone I think shares). I have not personally used the roameo but if folks could pick up an apple tv with cablebox capability and icloud recording for $99 with no monthly subscription.... (all conjecture on my part btw).

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/...-something-big
Apple will not create a cloud service without any subscription fees. I have a feeling that cloud dvr's will just be another nail in the coffin for consumer rights.
moedaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 01:27 PM   #4
dugbug

I just made up the cloud stuff for food for thought... don't get hung up on it

The point is they hired a cablelabs exec and the rumor is he has joined the apple tv group.
Old 10-02-2013, 01:39 PM   #5
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
I just made up the cloud stuff for food for thought... don't get hung up on it

The point is they hired a cablelabs exec and the rumor is he has joined the apple tv group.
That may be, but it doesn't necessarily mean that they are developing a DVR, although they might be. It also doesn't mean the DVR is going to be at the same price point as an Apple TV, although it could be.

What it would mean is that Apple would need to pay royalties to TiVo for it's time shifting and other patents.

I suspect that if Apple does decide to get into the DVR game, they could go cheaper, but it isn't going to be as cheap as you are thinking with the level of functionality you are thinking.

With that said, I believe there would still be room in the market for TiVo. And TiVo would rake in the money on patent fees if they really tried to do a standard DVR!

BTW - you are correct, Apple would never go for local storage. They would push for cloud storage - probably an extention of iCloud. You currently get 5.0GB free with 50GB priced at $100 a year.

You can do the math on how that might relate to a service plan...
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 02:00 PM   #6
Dan203
Super Moderator

Apple has never been one to release anything cheap. Even the AppleTV is $50 more then an equivalent offering from Roku. So why would anyone expect a DVR from Apple to be cheaper then a TiVo? Cooler looking, slicker UI, maybe. But I seriously doubt it would be cheaper.

Honestly I hope they do release a DVR. It would be nice to have some competition in this space. Maybe it would put enough pressure on TiVo to finally finish the HDUI.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 03:37 PM   #7
dugbug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Honestly I hope they do release a DVR. It would be nice to have some competition in this space. Maybe it would put enough pressure on TiVo to finally finish the HDUI.
That's the key there
Old 10-02-2013, 04:57 PM   #8
moyekj

Quote:
If "finishing" the HDUI means crippling previously perfectly functional ones like they did with the Wishlist screens then I hope they never do...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 05:57 PM   #9
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
If "finishing" the HDUI means crippling previously perfectly functional ones like they did with the Wishlist screens then I hope they never do...
There's nothing left except the options and Find By Time/Channel, not much they can do to mess those up.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:12 PM   #10
mattack

Quote:
Apple has never been one to release anything cheap.
Except the fact that the iPad was MUCH cheaper than people were predicting, and for a very long time "competing" tablets were as expensive or more expensive..
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 09:13 PM   #11
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Wait, what is crippled with wishlist screens? I have a Premiere 4, and do leave it in HD UI.. I don't remember any functions missing from the SD version.

Quote:
There's nothing left except the options and Find By Time/Channel, not much they can do to mess those up.
and various setting screens.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:00 PM   #12
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Wait, what is crippled with wishlist screens? I have a Premiere 4, and do leave it in HD UI.. I don't remember any functions missing from the SD version.
For series 4 units the Wishlists screens are the traditional fully functional SD ones that work great. For series 5 units TiVo "upgraded" the Wishlists screens to HD and crippled some functionality as described in HDUI Wishlist screens issues thread.

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:35 PM   #13
Arcady
Stargate Fan

Quote:
premier

roameo
Premiere

Roamio

It's not that hard.
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 12:37 AM   #14
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
and various setting screens.
That's what I meant by options.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:59 PM   #15
dugbug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcady View Post
Premiere

Roamio

It's not that hard.
Relax, life will go on
Old 10-03-2013, 05:57 PM   #16
unitron

Quote:
Relax, life will go on
Search engines often prefer correct spelling though, and part of the utility of this site is that something you write today may help someone a year or two from now, just as you in turn may be helped at some point by something written at some point more than a day or 3 previous.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 12:22 AM   #17
Johncv

Quote:
Apple has never been one to release anything cheap. Even the AppleTV is $50 more then an equivalent offering from Roku. So why would anyone expect a DVR from Apple to be cheaper then a TiVo? Cooler looking, slicker UI, maybe. But I seriously doubt it would be cheaper.

Also, Apple will never release anything that use a cablecard or tuning adapter. It just not Cool.

HDTiVo
27-inch iMac with i7 quad core processor
Johncv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 01:37 AM   #18
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johncv View Post
Also, Apple will never release anything that use a cablecard or tuning adapter. It just not Cool.
Well, if they're hiring someone from CableLabs, that implies a plan for something that will work with cable, not something that will download from the internet.

As it stands now, if you need a cable card, you need one that can talk to the cable company's head end equipment, so different head end gear manufacturer, different cable card needed.

What if they're going for a software defined virtual cable card? Whatever the head end needs, it'll pretend to be, and it'll handle any SDV TA chores as well.

Just plug it in and it works.

No need to go pick up a card.

No truck roll needed.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 09:13 AM   #19
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
According to Multichannel, Mulé was involved in a number of high-profile initiatives, including CableLabs' DOCSIS 3.0 program and the creation of APIs for so-called "second screen" video apps.
I highly doubt that Apple would want anything to do with cable cards... But, looking at the projects Mulé has worked on, it definately could be delivery of content in some meathod - most likely IP.

Quote:
DOCSIS 3.0: Most recently, the specification was revised to significantly increase transmission speeds (this time both upstream and downstream) and introduce support for Internet Protocol version 6 (IPv6).

TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 07:55 PM   #20
qz3fwd

Maybe apple could develop a "cool" cablecard DVR with pre-provisioned cablecard/tuning adapter or require the purchaser to come into an apple store for the geek squad to install and get working the cablecard? Haha.....
qz3fwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 08:08 PM   #21
SullyND
L:27-31

I still think it would be interesting if they could leverage the cellphone model for cable and get comcast et al to subsidize an Apple DVR.
SullyND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 04:08 AM   #22
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SullyND View Post
I still think it would be interesting if they could leverage the cellphone model for cable and get comcast et al to subsidize an Apple DVR.
Why would the cable company do that? They already have a model that makes them millions in profit. They buy the boxes themselves for a couple hundred bucks and then rent them out to customers for $20/mo for life.

I paid $7/mo for like 8 years for a cable modem before I realize you were allowed to buy your own. I bought one for $75 from Amazon. They made $672 off me for a $75 piece of equipment, and when I did buy my own I had to give theirs back so they could rent it to some other sucker.

No way the cable company is going to the cell phone model. They've got a sweet deal where already where they get to charge you for service AND rent you the equipment for a profit.
Old 10-06-2013, 08:09 PM   #23
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

People generally hate the cellphone model and Apple knows this. Even the cell phone carriers are catching on shifting to new models.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:08 PM   #24
mattack

Tivo did do the cellphone model, and IIRC not many people took them up on the offer.