TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-03-2013, 01:28 AM   #1
substance12

getting base premiere, have questions

im replacing my tivo hd with a premiere for $49. with a 30 day return policy, why not? i only care about dvr functionality.

1) i've heard there were lag issues when the premiere just came out there were lag issues. is this still an issue?

2) HD upgrades. is this possible like with the tivo hd?

3) any issues with twc/tuning adapter compatibility? the tivo hd has garbage collection/guide issues that have been plaguing me.
substance12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 05:58 AM   #2
replaytv
elects "cold sleep"

1) i've heard there were lag issues when the premiere just came out there were lag issues. is this still an issue? I haven't had any trouble with lag issues if you mean the video lagging or stuttering.

2) HD upgrades. is this possible like with the tivo hd? Yes, you can upgrade the hard drive with the same methods as before.

3) any issues with twc/tuning adapter compatibility? the tivo hd has garbage collection/guide issues that have been plaguing me.
I have never used a tuning adapter.

replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:41 AM   #3
PCurry57
Liberal Hippie Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by substance12 View Post
im replacing my tivo hd with a premiere for $49. with a 30 day return policy, why not? i only care about dvr functionality.

1) i've heard there were lag issues when the premiere just came out there were lag issues. is this still an issue?

I have two base Premieres a 320 and a 500. I have the external 1tb wd drove on the 320. I recently pulled the cable cards and returned the timing adapted to twc. The issues I had with my premiere and twc were all either quality of signal delivered to the wall outlet or running adapters that just failed. As evidenced by never having an issue with ota recordings. TWC in Dallas used the Motorola m-card/tuning adapter in 20 months I went through 6 tuning adapter failures
----
TiVo Premiere {lifetime} WD1TB+w/slide remote(original)
TiVo Premiere {lifetime} WD1TB
TiVo Stream (happily streaming to Android)
PCurry57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 01:22 AM   #4
substance12

Quote:
Originally Posted by replaytv View Post
1) i've heard there were lag issues when the premiere just came out there were lag issues. is this still an issue? I haven't had any trouble with lag issues if you mean the video lagging or stuttering.

2) HD upgrades. is this possible like with the tivo hd? Yes, you can upgrade the hard drive with the same methods as before.
The FAQ says you can't upgrade the hdd but the underground says you can. I think you are correct.
Old 10-04-2013, 08:03 PM   #5
kherr

.... I put a 2TB in mine ...
kherr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 07:22 PM   #6
cjgadd3

Curious. Where do you get a Premiere for $49?
cjgadd3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 07:24 PM   #7
substance12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjgadd3 View Post
Curious. Where do you get a Premiere for $49?
my tivoHD had an s03 error and tivo customer service offered me a premiere for $49 (knocked down from 79). first time i've ever called tivo. their CS was actually really friendly.
Old 10-06-2013, 11:25 PM   #8
rexreed

I bought my base Premiere from Tiivo last Christmas for 49 bucks. Refurb. but it looked new to me.
rexreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 12:58 AM   #9
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by substance12 View Post

Don't have an S4 so can't answer #1

Hard drive upgrades are possible with the jmfs software which was written for S4 upgrades but turned out to be usable on the S3 HD and HD XL as well (but not the original S3 with the clock display on the front). However, it's now possible to use WinMFS on any S3 running version 11.0k or later of the TiVo software and upgrade to up to a 2TB drive.

But you still need jfms to upgrade an S4.

For either I'd recommend the 2 TB WD20EURS if you can find it for $100 or less.

You may be able to fix that S03 error by running Clear program information & To Do List.

If you're buying an S4, that should give you the leverage to get the $99 lifetime offer on the S3 HD, increasing its resale value (you can also fix the S03 with a re-imaged hard drive, I would think), or making it feasible to keep as a second TiVo so you can copy non-copy protected digital and all analog shows from one to the other to watch in whichever room is more convenient.

Haven't been forced into digital cable yet so can't speak with certainty about TA problems.

(but I've got a lamp timer I'm holding in reserve)

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote