TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-05-2013, 05:06 PM   #1
socrplyr

Record future episode

Is there a way to go from watching something live on TV to select a future recurrence of the show easily?
With my TivoHD I don't remember the exact wording, but you could see all upcoming playings of the same show. Then pick which you want to record. I use this all the time when I stumble on a movie that is already in progress. Am I missing something?

Thanks,
Josh

Edit:
Never mind. I figured it out.
Recording options -> Get this movie -> Record this movie -> Options -> Time & Channel -> If there are future showings available, pressing right will flip through the available ones.

I must have picked a few that had no future showings when I was testing this out.

Edit 2:
And I completely missed a slightly faster way that also nicely lists them like the TivoHD did.
Recording options -> Get this movie -> View other showings -> Select from the list

Last edited by socrplyr : 10-05-2013 at 05:14 PM.
socrplyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 05:30 PM   #2
Dan203
Super Moderator

There is a better way. Just hit record on your remote. That will pop up a menu with two options "Record This Showing" and "Season Pass and Other Options". Select the second one and you'll be taken to a screen with the option to View Upcoming.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 05:58 PM   #3
sushikitten
Exhausted mama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
There is a better way. Just hit record on your remote. That will pop up a menu with two options "Record This Showing" and "Season Pass and Other Options". Select the second one and you'll be taken to a screen with the option to View Upcoming.
How have I had a TiVo since 2001 and not known that?!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
sushikitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 06:53 PM   #4
Dan203
Super Moderator

Just showed my Sister that the other day she's been a TiVo user since 2000. So you're not the only one.
Old 10-05-2013, 07:37 PM   #5
cherry ghost

Quote:

Is the third option "Explore This Show" available on Roamios? That's the one you want to use.
cherry ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 07:41 PM   #6
Dan203
Super Moderator

Ok they changed it a bit. On the older TiVos there were only the two options I mentioned. I didn't try it on my Roamio until just now. On the Roamio there are three options and the bottom Explore This Show is the one you want.
Old 10-05-2013, 07:46 PM   #7
socrplyr

Quote:
That is what the TivoHD did. The Roamio doesn't have that option. There is the extra step on the Roamio. Shortest I have is:
Record Button -> Recording options -> Get this movie -> View other showings -> Select from the list
Old 10-05-2013, 07:50 PM   #8
socrplyr

Quote:
Ok they changed it a bit. On the older TiVos there were only the two options I mentioned. I didn't try it on my Roamio until just now. On the Roamio there are three options and the bottom Explore This Show is the one you want.
Yep, and "Recording options" and "Explore this show" take you to the exact same place.

Seems like a bug to me...
Pressing "Recording options" should probably be equivalent to
Explore this movie -> Get this movie -> Record this movie -> Options
Old 10-05-2013, 08:06 PM   #9
cherry ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by socrplyr View Post
Yep, and "Recording options" and "Explore this show" take you to the exact same place.

Yes, for movies it would be nice if the option was "Explore this movie" and there then was then an "Upcoming" option.
Old 10-05-2013, 11:24 PM   #10
swerver

I was wondering about a similar case. If the show is recording, how do you get to the upcoming or view other showings? Seems like if it's recording, all you get is the option to stop the recording, or not. Even if you go to the guide, and hit info on that show, same problem.
swerver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 11:25 PM   #11
swerver

Quote:
Originally Posted by socrplyr View Post

They aren't quite exactly the same. One seems geared around that particular episode, while the other is geared around the show in general. Though I agree, they are pretty close and offer generally the same options with a few exceptions like cast and bonus features.

edit: ok I see the difference - it's a little different for movies vs. episodic shows. For movies, yes it's the same.

Last edited by swerver : 10-05-2013 at 11:40 PM.
Old 10-05-2013, 11:36 PM   #12
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry ghost View Post
Yes, for movies it would be nice if the option was "Explore this movie" and there then was then an "Upcoming" option.
There is. I just explore it and can view the upcoming showings of the movie. I just did it earlier tonight.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 11:41 PM   #13
swerver

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
There is. I just explore it and can view the upcoming showings of the movie. I just did it earlier tonight.
Yes it is there, they just don't call it upcoming, they call it view other showings. Looks like upcoming is just used on episodic shows.
Old 10-05-2013, 11:48 PM   #14
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by swerver View Post
Yes it is there, they just don't call it upcoming, they call it view other showings. Looks like upcoming is just used on episodic shows.
It shows " View other showings" as the option.

EDIT: Sorry I'm also on chat with FiOS right now, you just wrote that.
Old 10-05-2013, 11:51 PM   #15
swerver

Alright I tested this a little more. View other showings refers to that particular episode or movie. Upcoming is available only on episodic shows, and lists ALL episodes that are upcoming, not just the one that's on now.

Though oddly, when you select view other showings, the heading on the pop up menu is upcoming showings. <- at tivo

Which explains why you called it upcoming showings, aaronwt - the option says one thing but then the menu says the other.
Old 10-05-2013, 11:58 PM   #16
swerver

But I still don't see how to get to any of these menus if the show is already recording, short of typing it into the search.
Old 10-06-2013, 12:23 AM   #17
cherry ghost

The other difference between "view other showings" and "upcoming" is that "view other showings" is one-click record only. You don't get the option to pad. Which is why "upcoming" for movies would be nice to have, but not a huge deal since movies don't often need padding. They should at least have the one-click record for "view other showings" apply any padding in the Season Pass for that particular show.
Old 10-06-2013, 12:24 AM   #18
cherry ghost

Quote:
But I still don't see how to get to any of these menus if the show is already recording, short of typing it into the search.
Go to the to-do list.
Old 10-06-2013, 08:55 AM   #19
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
If it's already recording, you go to it in the "My Shows" list and you can access the info from there.