TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-04-2013, 06:03 PM   #1
Dan203
Super Moderator

Spoiled by speed

Our cable system just finally started simulcasting all the analog channels, so I'm trying to convert my wife over from her 2 tuner Premiere to my old 4 tuner Elite. (she recorded a lot of analog so couldn't use a 4 tuner before) Anyway this means I'm spending a lot of time on the Elite copying all her shows over via MRV. (she has about 1.2TB worth) It is sooooo sloooooow! I've only been using my Roamio for a few weeks but I forgot how slow the Elite was. Hopefully she doesn't notice a big difference or I may end up having to buy another Roamio soon.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 08:06 PM   #2
djwilso

All these comments about speed really make me want one...
djwilso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 08:13 PM   #3
uw69

The Premiere must be a real dog, glad I skipped that series!
1 Roamio plus 470 hours
3 TiVo Mini's
uw69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 09:32 PM   #4
mattack

In HD UI, it's slow as dirt. But there are a few things (ESPECIALLY the space indicator -- yes, I'm one of those who OCD-ly constantly checks how full my Tivo is, since I WANT TO WATCH EVERYTHING I RECORD OR DELETE IT MYSELF, and understandably can't realistically set everything to KUID) that made me stick with the HD UI after getting a Premiere 4..

Another funny thing is that I'm now spoiled by the download speed from the Premiere 4 compared to my Tivo HD.. download to a computer (with kmttg) that is. I record mostly SD shows, so a SD show takes *around* 5 minutes (a bit more, but that's a rough estimate) to download on my Premiere 4. On my Tivo HD, it takes WAY WAY longer -- tens of minutes.

Supposedly downloading from the Roamios is even faster.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 10:57 PM   #5
astrohip
Stuart F

A Premiere running the SDUI is fast. Under HDUI, it's painfully slow.

Now that I have a Roamio, I can see why everyone complains about the Premiere. I always ran my Elite under SDUI, but was forced to change to HDUI to use a Mini on it. The Roamio is a pleasure; the Premiere is constantly pausing, waiting, displaying that little circle of patience.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 11:09 PM   #6
moyekj

I recall getting a lot of flack over they years complaining how ridiculously slow my Elite was running HDUI and Flash apps. So glad I no longer have to use that Elite anymore.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 12:07 AM   #7
Dan203
Super Moderator

I think you mainly got flack for claiming that your Elite was slower then your Premiere. To me they are equally as agonizing to use.
Old 10-05-2013, 07:43 AM   #8
BigJimOutlaw

Oh I could tell a difference between the Premiere and Elite easily. I would frequently change some of the Elite's unused tuners over to channels I didn't receive (no recording) and the Elite would tangibly speed up immediately.

Then I thought the Mini was a joy to use until I used the Roamio. Now the Mini seems slow too. Definitely spoiled.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 11:13 AM   #9
moyekj

Yes I found my 2 tuner Premiere after several updates just about tolerable using HDUI and always significantly faster than my Elite. Even now compared to Mini and Roamio my 2 tuner Premiere is still tolerable and I still use it (though I'd never want to use Netflix on it again). The Elite I gladly cast off to other family members.

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 12:08 PM   #10
bobfrank

I never owned a Premiere. My latest was the THD, so all I was used to was the SDUI. The Roamio UI is at least as fast as my THD, and maybe faster.

Where the Roamio really surprises me is the speed of transfers between it and my computer, up or down. Blazing!
bobfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 12:33 PM   #11
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
...The Roamio is a pleasure; the Premiere is constantly pausing, waiting, displaying that little circle of patience.
Calling it the "circle of patience" is being too kind
DCIFRTHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 08:52 AM   #12
JohnnyO
Crimper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfrank View Post
I never owned a Premiere. My latest was the THD, so all I was used to was the SDUI. The Roamio UI is at least as fast as my THD, and maybe faster.
I went from TiVoHD to a Roamio. I'm very pleased with the performance. I still have one TiVoHD in the basement, and used it the other day. My goodness churning through that UI (even though it is SD) felt like trying to run in waist deep water. What a frustrating experience compared to the Roamio!
JohnnyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 10:13 AM   #13
elwaylite

On my Premier I cut the HD Gui off because it slowed down so much. The Roamio is quick.
Directv HR44/200
elwaylite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 12:36 PM   #14
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:

Now that I have a Roamio, I can see why everyone complains about the Premiere. I always ran my Elite under SDUI, but was forced to change to HDUI to use a Mini on it. The Roamio is a pleasure; the Premiere is constantly pausing, waiting, displaying that little circle of patience.
Well, I am glad you now see we were not crazy

When released, the Premiere was almost unusably slow in the HDUI. I was forced to use the SDUI to keep my sanity. After a few updates, it went from unusably slow to painfully slow in the HDUI, but I switched to it.

The Roamio is acceptable. I would not describe it as "fast", but it is very usable and certainly not slow. It is as fast in the SDUI as the Premiere was in the SDUI. The speed, alone, makes the Roamio a very worthy upgrade.
Old 10-06-2013, 01:35 PM   #15
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
I think you mainly got flack for claiming that your Elite was slower then your Premiere. To me they are equally as agonizing to use.
The Elite is just way slower than the regular Premiere for me. Opening something like Netflix takes almost 4x longer. The UI of the Premiere is slow but usable but the Elite/XL4 is just painful to me. I don't know why but it is very noticeable.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 02:57 PM   #16
HazelW

Quote:

I use a mini with an Elite running the SDUI. No problems that I can see. Why were you forced to change to the HDUI?
HazelW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 03:08 PM   #17
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Another funny thing is that I'm now spoiled by the download speed from the Premiere 4 compared to my Tivo HD.. download to a computer (with kmttg) that is. I record mostly SD shows, so a SD show takes *around* 5 minutes (a bit more, but that's a rough estimate) to download on my Premiere 4. On my Tivo HD, it takes WAY WAY longer -- tens of minutes.
I am highly amused by reading this post, because my experience is that the TiVoHD is blazingly fast with kmttg -- compared with the way it was before, with TiVo Desktop.
Old 10-07-2013, 12:24 PM   #18
vurbano

Quote:
Originally Posted by uw69 View Post
The Premiere must be a real dog, glad I skipped that series!
its not. It was significantly faster than the TivoHD
Old 10-07-2013, 01:56 PM   #19
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vurbano View Post
its not. It was significantly faster than the TivoHD
In the SDUI maybe. But in the HDUI it gets bogged down and takes a second to respond to commands, which in turn causes you to think the command was missed so you press again and then it does it twice. And then other times it does miss commands and you wait thinking it's slow and it does nothing.

With the Roamio that never happens. You occasionally get a bong if you go too fast, but at least that's a response to the command so you know it was was received.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:29 PM   #20
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroyd View Post
I am highly amused by reading this post, because my experience is that the TiVoHD is blazingly fast with kmttg -- compared with the way it was before, with TiVo Desktop.
Weird, I thought they both did basically the same exact thing, essentially a curl or http download....
so I don't know how they're any different in actual download speed -- unless I'm wrong, which I probably am.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 10:00 PM   #21
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
The Roamio is acceptable. I would not describe it as "fast", but it is very usable and certainly not slow.
My Roamio is fast. And I'm a demanding user. It's a very rare occasion when the response isn't instantaneous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HazelW View Post
I use a mini with an Elite running the SDUI. No problems that I can see. Why were you forced to change to the HDUI?
When I first added the Mini, it said something like "you can only use a Mini with the HDUI interface, do you want to change?". There was no option given.

Then once I did that, next was the "and you lose a tuner too. Ok?".
Old 10-07-2013, 10:15 PM   #22
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
My Roamio is fast. And I'm a demanding user. It's a very rare occasion when the response isn't instantaneous.
It might start to do something instantly (thank God), but it doesn't FINISH it instantly. What holds up performance now are the unnecessary animated transitions- they are just too slow. They were "cute" for about 10 minutes, many years ago. Now they just slow down my navigation. ERRRRRG.
Old 10-08-2013, 04:08 PM   #23
dslunceford

I moved up from TiVo HDs, skipping the last gen. In just 4 days with Roamio, I've made the decision to change out the remaining boxes to Minis. I'm glad I skipped the last couple of generations, and hope this box lasts quite a while. I just realized today that I've had the THDs for 6 years!

dslunceford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 04:26 PM   #24
uw69

Quote:
Originally Posted by dslunceford View Post
I moved up from TiVo HDs, skipping the last gen. In just 4 days with Roamio, I've made the decision to change out the remaining boxes to Minis. I'm glad I skipped the last couple of generations, and hope this box lasts quite a while. I just realized today that I've had the THDs for 6 years!
I did the same exact thing, installed my 2nd mini today, one more to go.
1 Roamio plus 470 hours
3 TiVo Mini's
uw69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 06:33 PM   #25
Devx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Our cable system just finally started simulcasting all the analog channels, so I'm trying to convert my wife over from her 2 tuner Premiere to my old 4 tuner Elite. (she recorded a lot of analog so couldn't use a 4 tuner before) Anyway this means I'm spending a lot of time on the Elite copying all her shows over via MRV. (she has about 1.2TB worth) It is sooooo sloooooow! I've only been using my Roamio for a few weeks but I forgot how slow the Elite was. Hopefully she doesn't notice a big difference or I may end up having to buy another Roamio soon.
Transferring content from my mostly full THD to my Elite took about 3 days. At least that's what it seemed like since I saw the blue light for 3 straight days. Each transfer was only about 30-32Mbps even with tuner parking on both boxes.
THD 2TB x 2
Humax S2 300GB (retired)
Devx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 06:39 PM   #26
Dan203
Super Moderator

Transferring from my Elite to my Roamio was actually quite fast. But transferring from my Wife's 2 tuner Premiere to the Elite was a bit slow. Although I started using the Roamio immediately and transferred things as I went, so it may have felt faster because I wasn't in a hurry. With the Wife's TiVo I was trying to get done in a certain window so that I could catch a time when she wasn't recording to swap them out.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:27 PM   #27
flar

Quote:
My Roamio...

When I first added the Mini...

Then once I did that, next was the "and you lose a tuner too. Ok?".
Roamios don't lose a tuner when you add a Mini. They have dynamic tuner allocation. Was that question from the Mini or from the Roamio?
selling TiVo Series 3, WD10EVCS, lifetime from Series 2
retired TiVo Series 2, 80 hour
flar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:33 PM   #28
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
Roamios don't lose a tuner when you add a Mini. They have dynamic tuner allocation. Was that question from the Mini or from the Roamio?
There was a post I was replying to that was not in your reply/quote. In it we were talking about an Elite.