TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-02-2013, 02:28 PM   #31
Eamus Catuli

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDallas View Post
I even tried to Tweet and email Margret and asked her when possibly the fall update might come out, and its all been ignored. So glad March is just around the corner.
Check her tweets around the 2nd week of September and you 'll see "we are preparing an update for TiVo Premiere. It will be released this Fall". I suspect the exact date is still TBD.
Old 10-02-2013, 04:31 PM   #32
tomhorsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
A firmware update would be the better option. Expecting TiVo to work around some flaw in your CableCARD or tuning adapter, even if possible, is not really reasonable. The "fix" they put in for your flawed card could negatively effect some other card. It's a vicious cycle. You should hound your cable company to fix their broken cards, not blame TiVo for not being able to work around it.
I would normally agree with that, but TiVo made things 1000 times worse with the 20.3 update, and I've seen reports in these forums of comcast customers who actually have gotten the new firmware seeing zero improvement in the way 20.3 behaves.
tomhorsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 06:22 PM   #33
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
We know there will be a fall update for the Premieres but after that I don't expect much except bug fixes. There is only so much they can do with the Premiere's hardware and I am guessing it is pretty much maxed out know (remember the processor and basic design is from 2009).
While I agree, one of the guys from RCN indicated that they had a meeting with TiVo and TiVo has promised to bring the Romaio UI design to their Premiere units in Q1 2014. There is no guarantee retail units will get the same update, but if they are actively working on the code there is at least a chance they will.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 06:42 AM   #34
atmuscarella

Quote:
While I agree, one of the guys from RCN indicated that they had a meeting with TiVo and TiVo has promised to bring the Romaio UI design to their Premiere units in Q1 2014. There is no guarantee retail units will get the same update, but if they are actively working on the code there is at least a chance they will.
That does make some sense, getting the Premiere, Mini, & Roamio to have the same HDUI makes allot of sense when you factor in TiVo's cable partners. I personally don't pay enough attention to how the UIs look to even notice the difference, but it is clear from many posts that many people do. However even if the UI"s appearance is updated I am not too sure it will result in any additional features being added to the Premiere.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 10:56 AM   #35
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
However even if the UI"s appearance is updated I am not too sure it will result in any additional features being added to the Premiere.
I think the final main feature that will be added is Dynamic Tuner Allocation (DTA) for the 4 tuner units and would expect that to be the last feature update for series 4 units. It could also mean HTML5 support via built in Opera browser but I have a feeling it won't be enabled on such slow hardware. Series 4 units getting the Roamio UI changes would actually be a negative in my mind if it happens.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 12:02 PM   #36
jrtroo
User

I believe we have also been promised some more HD screens, but I would not expect anything more than that.
Old 10-03-2013, 04:50 PM   #37
Dan203
Super Moderator

Yeah I'd think they would at least get the new Wish List screens as part of the DTA update. Beyond that I'm not sure.
Old 10-04-2013, 09:34 AM   #38
buscuitboy

Wink

Quote:
There is a planned Fall update that will bring Dynamic Tuner Allocation for the Minis and should also include the new HD Wish List screens. Beyond that no one really knows.
I recently got a 4-tuner Premiere and while I know they have said dynamic tuning for minis will arrive to these Premieres & would LOVE to see it, I have a bad feeling they will reverse their stance on this. Or at the very least, it will be delayed for 4-tuner Premieres & will come sometime in 2014. Just saying & PLEASE prove me wrong TiVo
buscuitboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 10:39 AM   #39
sharkster

I know this is probably a massive understatement, but it doesn't seem right to sell the Premieres, extended warranties, lifetime service, and drop the whole thing in this short a period of time.

I know they've been out a little longer, but I've only had my Premieres for a year and a half. I have extended warranties on both of them and lifetime service. I am not one who tends to have a blown out sense of entitlement (not even close), but I feel entitled to having up to date, operable, software for at least 3-4 years. Even Microsoft still updates their OS for several years after they have brought out newer OS.

I get that they are just trying to sell Tivos, but it doesn't say much for their sense of customer care that they would completely drop one series in lieu of a new one, after people pay many hundreds of dollars for them.

I don't think it's an unreasonable expectation that I should be able to take good care of my electronics and have them work at least long enough to pay for the lifetime service and get through the warranty. That would logically include up-to-date software.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 11:23 AM   #40
tigerspy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkster View Post
I know this is probably a massive understatement, but it doesn't seem right to sell the Premieres, extended warranties, lifetime service, and drop the whole thing in this short a period of time.

I know they've been out a little longer, but I've only had my Premieres for a year and a half. I have extended warranties on both of them and lifetime service. I am not one who tends to have a blown out sense of entitlement (not even close), but I feel entitled to having up to date, operable, software for at least 3-4 years. Even Microsoft still updates their OS for several years after they have brought out newer OS.

I get that they are just trying to sell Tivos, but it doesn't say much for their sense of customer care that they would completely drop one series in lieu of a new one, after people pay many hundreds of dollars for them.

I don't think it's an unreasonable expectation that I should be able to take good care of my electronics and have them work at least long enough to pay for the lifetime service and get through the warranty. That would logically include up-to-date software.
I agree, and another thing I haven't heard people mention much of is that DirecTV and maybe other collaborators selling customized Tivo solutions to their subscribers are all currently based on the Series 4 platform. I think it's in the best interest for Tivo as a company to keep those ties strong and keep customers with a pleasurable experience while Series 5 solutions get developed and trickle out, but that's a slower process than Tivo fanatics adopting new hardware. Tivo has to know this and knows they need to keep support for the Series 4 platform pretty solid for at least a few years.
tigerspy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 12:45 PM   #41
jrtroo
User

Series 1 tivos still work, as to S2s, and S3s. Premiere owners may not get new features, but they are sure to work for years to come.

We know of a "fall update" for Premieres, other than some hints at new HD screens, we don't know what else is included.
Old 10-04-2013, 07:07 PM   #42
kherr

I'm figuring that the DTA is a shoe-in and beyond that, I'm getting Rokus for Netflix/Amazon Prime, with the added benefit of additional sites. For a C note up front and no monthly fees, it fits my situation.
kherr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 07:24 PM   #43
Dan203
Super Moderator

For me I'd sell the Premiere and use that and the extra $100 toward a Roamio. The speed alone is worth it, and you get DTA now.
Old 10-05-2013, 02:21 AM   #44
replaytv
Bang/Bounce/Thump

Well, even if we don't get updates for Premieres, we can always hope for downgrade software like they did to Series 2 Tivos last year to make it so they couldn't have the time shift feature. But then they gave the feature back. Who can figure that out?

Sometimes I think they make decisions at TiVo with a spin of the bottle, but I never seem to get a kiss by the cute gurlie.
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:15 PM   #45
plazman30

I could see TiVo using the Premiere as it's testbed. We Premiere owners get updates first. If they don't blow up, then the Roamio gets them a few weeks later.
plazman30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 10:44 PM   #46
TiVoMargret
VP of Design, TiVo

Hi everyone,

At this point I expect the Fall update for TiVo Premiere to be released by the end of this month. We'll probably open the priority list in another week or so.

--Margret
TiVo Inc. *
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TiVoMargret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 05:44 AM   #47
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoMargret View Post
Hi everyone,

At this point I expect the Fall update for TiVo Premiere to be released by the end of this month. We'll probably open the priority list in another week or so.

--Margret
Thanks for the Update!
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 07:49 AM   #48
compnurd

Sounds like I will miss this as I will be back with DirecTV next week. best of luck to everyone
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:46 AM   #49
tvmaster2

Quote:
I agree. We'll never see a performance increase on the Premiere. It's hardware bound and there is nothing they can do about it. If you want Mini like performance you need to upgrade to a Roamio.
can a Mini be used in a Premiere network, i.e. access Premiere shows, or is it purely a Roamio play?
tvmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:52 AM   #50
jrtroo
User

That is actually his point- the mini can work with the premiere and does so much faster than when working on the premiere it is tied to. But, it only works with the four-tuner model.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:56 AM   #51
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
But, it only works with the four-tuner model.
As a host, true. But you can stream shows from any series 4 unit including the 2 tuner ones as well.

Old 10-08-2013, 10:04 AM   #52
b_scott
TiVo Fan

Quote:
Hi everyone,

--Margret
thanks
b_scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 10:11 AM   #53
tvmaster2

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
As a host, true. But you can stream shows from any series 4 unit including the 2 tuner ones as well.
what do you mean "as a true host", feature wise?
Old 10-08-2013, 10:14 AM   #54
NotVeryWitty
Too Big to Fail

Quote:
Hi everyone,

--Margret
Margret,

Thanks again for your continued support! Your active public involvement and status updates go a long way towards keeping me (and I'm sure many others) in the Tivo camp.
NotVeryWitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 11:13 AM   #55
philw1776

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkster View Post

Not unreasonable at all.

As someone in the same situation who has been a customer since 2001, I'm really disappointed that TiVo has no outlook for a fix to their Netflix problems and no outlook towards getting TiVo desktop to work so I can view my laptop photos on my TV via TiVo. These were 2 reasons I bought the Premier yet TiVo is deaf to entreaties to make their touted features function. The company I once promoted to all has lost my advocacy.

Yes, I have contacted support.
philw1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 12:19 PM   #56
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
what do you mean "as a true host", feature wise?
The Mini is required to be paired with a host TiVo. Allowed hosts for the Mini are units with 4 or more tuners. So you can't designate a 2 tuner Premiere as the Mini host. However if you have a >= 4 tuner TiVo on your network then you can set that as the Mini host. The Mini then can stream shows from that host unit and all other series 4 or series 5 units on your network (including 2 tuner units).

Old 10-08-2013, 12:46 PM   #57
tvmaster2

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
The Mini is required to be paired with a host TiVo. Allowed hosts for the Mini are units with 4 or more tuners. So you can't designate a 2 tuner Premiere as the Mini host. However if you have a >= 4 tuner TiVo on your network then you can set that as the Mini host. The Mini then can stream shows from that host unit and all other series 4 or series 5 units on your network (including 2 tuner units).
so, if you only have 2-tuner Premieres you're out of luck, i.e. you need at least ONE 4-tuner device to route things through?
Old 10-08-2013, 01:47 PM   #58
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
so, if you only have 2-tuner Premieres you're out of luck, i.e. you need at least ONE 4-tuner device to route things through?
Correct.

Old 10-09-2013, 12:39 PM   #59
sharkster

Thanks for the info re: Fall Update.

I hope it fixes some of the things that the last updated screwed up. I also really miss watching semi-live and being able to stay on semi-live even after it needs to change a channel to record. Now it just jumps you up to the new channel and you lose all that's buffered when you are watching behind. Wow, I don't know if that made sense or not.

There are also some slownesses that the last update created.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 06:31 PM   #60
bcronin

Made sense to me. Happens all the time to us. Its soooo annoying.
--
bc
bcronin is offline   Reply With Quote