TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-30-2012, 10:05 PM   #1
rodlebod

Arrow Scrolling horizontal bars

Please help me identify my TiVo problem. Lately I have scrolling horizontal bars of various sizes on my old series 3. They do not appear on other input sources like DVD. Is my TiVo about to die? I uploaded a video on YouTube but I can't post a link. Search for rodlebod.
rodlebod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:13 PM   #2
MeInDallas

How do you have that connected to your TV? HDMI? RCA cables?
MeInDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:13 PM   #3
MeInDallas

Here's the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlQxzrm2CLc
MeInDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:26 PM   #4
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDallas View Post
Thanks for that. When I searched YouTube for "rodlebod" I didn't see the Tivo video listed and thought the worst (spammer).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:47 AM   #5
rodlebod

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDallas View Post
How do you have that connected to your TV? HDMI? RCA cables?
RCA Cables connected to a Sony Trinitron TV. To troubleshoot, I have disconnected all other input boxes (stereo, DVD, etc.), rearranged cables, and restarted TiVo. I still get the bars even on the Tivo welcome screen. My cable strength seems ok.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:34 AM   #6
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Did you also try using different inputs on the TV? A new set of cables?

F*CK CANCER!
Old 05-01-2012, 08:42 AM   #7
blackngold75

Looks like some sort of interference - maybe a broken cable or something is loose somewhere? Does your TV have an s-video input and do you have a cable for that? That might be worth a try.

Last edited by blackngold75 : 05-01-2012 at 08:42 AM. Reason: spelling
blackngold75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:42 AM   #8
mblloyd

Horizontal bars

Reads like you have lost the filter capacitor( s) in your TIVO power supply.
mblloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:12 PM   #9
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodlebod View Post
RCA Cables connected to a Sony Trinitron TV. To troubleshoot, I have disconnected all other input boxes (stereo, DVD, etc.), rearranged cables, and restarted TiVo. I still get the bars even on the Tivo welcome screen. My cable strength seems ok.
The "venetian blind" effect is usually due to some sort of in-channel RF interference, but since this occurs even on the menus, that's ruled out. It could be hum, but it's awfully bad for hum, and of an unusually high frequency. As mentioned above, a filter cap could be the culprit, especially since the TiVo uses a switching supply. To rule it out, get a monitor with an HDMI or DVI input and try it out. If the problem persists, then the filter cap is a major candidate.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:41 PM   #10
steve614
what ru lookin at?

If it's an original OLED Series 3, then a capacitor issue could be the culprit.

Those units seem to be suffering the effects of capacitor plague more than any other lately.

F*CK CANCER!
Old 05-01-2012, 12:45 PM   #11
rodlebod

THANKS for all the suggestions. I will troubleshoot some more tonight! (and now that I have 5 forum posts, I can add a links!)
Old 05-02-2012, 08:23 AM   #12
rodlebod

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackngold75 View Post
Looks like some sort of interference - maybe a broken cable or something is loose somewhere? Does your TV have an s-video input and do you have a cable for that? That might be worth a try.
Tried an s-video cable in another input. Same problem. The picture actually seemed worse.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:30 AM   #13
rodlebod

I tried connecting the TiVo to another TV. It still had the bars. It never got past the Welcome screen. I connected it to the original TV and it got stuck in a Welcome screen loop. I feel after 6 years, it is time to retire the old S3. I just ordered the new XL4 replacement and will sell the old for parts.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:44 PM   #14
SNJpage1

The bars are also a sign of a bad ground or a ground loop. Dont think its a ground loop in your case.
Old 07-13-2012, 02:49 PM   #15
BladeZ

I have also rolling wavy lines and tons of interference on menus, from the first power up screen. My unit was actually working fine, but I bought an XL4 and decided to move the S3 to another room, and now it started. I tried component, rcas and even two different tv's, same result. What can I do to get the picture working again? I thought it was the HD formats, but they all show same ridiculous amount of feedback and interference.

BladeZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 11:27 PM   #16
beno

Old Faithful S3 just started scrolling horizontal lines

Hi All,
My S3 just started experiencing the same rolling horizontal lines as described by rodelbod. I tried replacing the component video cables and also tried disconnecting OTA Coax and it made no difference. What's weird is that the problem comes and goes. I run this TiVo through my Sony ES receiver via component video. I have other devices connected to the receiver via HDMI. The receiver does the switching and I use HDMI to then connect to the TV.

Has anyone determined if replacing the Power Supply would fix this? Can this really be related to a hard drive? Also, would it make any difference if I use HDMI?

I have a lifetime subscription on this unit so I'd like to repair it. Do I have any other options as to what I can do with lifetime? I also have an HD unit on $6.95 monthly service in the same setup / cabinet and that has no problems.

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by beno : 09-13-2012 at 12:21 AM.
beno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 02:47 PM   #17
blacknoi

To resurrect this thread, I'm now having this issue on my oled S3.

I had been using HDMI for the past 6 years no issue and had to switch to component as I got an apple tv (and my hdtv only has 1 hdmi port, and the appletv is hdmi-only).

The hum bars are very light and seem to come and go. Swapped cables and no difference.

I'm on my 3rd power supply in this unit by the way (lifetimed or I'd have replaced it by now).

I could switch back to hdmi, but the apple tv doesnt auto-switch the hdmi 3-way switch like my ps3 does when shut off so convenience is the issue.

Any thoughts?
Old 10-04-2013, 03:53 PM   #18
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknoi View Post
To resurrect this thread, I'm now having this issue on my oled S3.

I had been using HDMI for the past 6 years no issue and had to switch to component as I got an apple tv (and my hdtv only has 1 hdmi port, and the appletv is hdmi-only).

The hum bars are very light and seem to come and go. Swapped cables and no difference.

I'm on my 3rd power supply in this unit by the way (lifetimed or I'd have replaced it by now).

I could switch back to hdmi, but the apple tv doesnt auto-switch the hdmi 3-way switch like my ps3 does when shut off so convenience is the issue.

Any thoughts?

If you know of a good repair shop, preferably a mom and pop type not to strict about not letting you behind the counter, see if you can get them to put an oscilliscope on the DC outputs of the supply to see if there's any ripple.

Also, there's a big 200 Volt or so capacitor on the input side and though they haven't seemed to have given trouble so far, they should check it for ripple to see if it's starting to fail.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 01:35 PM   #19
blacknoi

Update on my issue. GONE.

The fix? The color wheel in my Samsung 55" DLP set died. Upon replacing it and hooking everything back up, the rolling bars are totally eliminated.

So I guess it wasn't the tivo exactly, or some combination of the color wheel and the tivo?

Don't fully understand it as the *way* the color wheel went bad was to have one of the pieces of colored glass dislodged and flew off (not like the ball bearings went bad or something electrical).