TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-31-2013, 11:09 PM   #1
lessd

Xfinity on demand and the Roamio Plus

I get Xfinity on demand on all my TPs, I moved a working cable card from one TP to my new Roamio Plus, got the card paired by Comcast and got all the stuff I was paying for like HBO etc. After about a day the Xfinity on demand launch icon appeared, got to trying it the next day and all I got was an error (Error-2) Locale Code TiVocardio-ch2-a1p.comcast.com Called Comcast and they said Xfinity on demand was only approved for the TP type TiVos, called TiVo and they said it should work, does anybody have a Roamio Plus in the Hartford CT area with a working Xfinity on demand ? Does anybody have a Roamio working with Xfinity on demand working anyplace in the USA ?
I think I will be playing phone crap with Comcast/TiVo in the next week, that one problem TiVo should handle directly with Comcast and not put the customer in the middle, there should be a TiVo Xfinity on demand Tech group that knows who to talk to in Comcast to fix such problems.

Old 08-31-2013, 11:19 PM   #2
geekaren
TiVo Rocks, eh?!

In Middletown, CT area, and Xfinity on Demand is working on my Roamio Pro.

Just want to mention: I had received that TivoCardio error message a few weeks back on my Premiere. It resolved itself without any intervention 3-4 days later. So, you may want to wait a few days before calling Comcast to see if it resolves on its own... less frustrating than the Comcast call.
Pioneer DVR-57H (retired)
geekaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 11:20 PM   #3
speedy2
TivoAddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
I get Xfinity on demand on all my TPs, I moved a working cable card from one TP to my new Roamio Plus, got the card paired by Comcast and got all the stuff I was paying for like HBO etc. After about a day the Xfinity on demand launch icon appeared, got to trying it the next day and all I got was an error (Error-2) Locale Code TiVocardio-ch2-a1p.comcast.com Called Comcast and they said Xfinity on demand was only approved for the TP type TiVos, called TiVo and they said it should work, does anybody have a Roamio Plus in the Hartford CT area with a working Xfinity on demand ? Does anybody have a Roamio working with Xfinity on demand working anyplace in the USA ?
I think I will be playing phone crap with Comcast/TiVo in the next week, that one problem TiVo should handle directly with Comcast and not put the customer in the middle, there should be a TiVo Xfinity on demand Tech group that knows who to talk to in Comcast to fix such problems.
I have a Roamio Plus with working Xfinity On Demand in the Norwich CT franchise area. Works great so it's not an issue with the Roamio not being approved. At least not in my area.
speedy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 04:40 AM   #4
MScottC

TiVo Roamio Plus and Mini, both get xfinity on demand.
Comcast of Jersey City, NJ
MScottC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 08:18 AM   #5
Rkkeller

I am in Mercer County NJ and mine stated working a few minutes ago.
Rkkeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 09:03 AM   #6
justinw

I'm in the Vernon CT franchise area and Xfinity On Demand is working great on my Roamio Pro. I had activated it like 3 days before I got it from Weaknees which ended up working out very well because once the box came I had On Demand as soon as guided setup was complete.

So as another poster said, I'd give it a couple of days to see if it resolves itself.
justinw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 11:01 AM   #7
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinw View Post
I'm in the Vernon CT franchise area and Xfinity On Demand is working great on my Roamio Pro. I had activated it like 3 days before I got it from Weaknees which ended up working out very well because once the box came I had On Demand as soon as guided setup was complete.

So as another poster said, I'd give it a couple of days to see if it resolves itself.
As I will not be doing anything until Tuesday I hope it does resolves by then. I am glad it is working for people in CT.

Old 09-06-2013, 10:20 AM   #8
lessd

Quote:
As I will not be doing anything until Tuesday I hope it does resolves by then. I am glad it is working for people in CT.
Cable Comcast tech came out and had to change the cable card, OD now working great on my Roamio Plus.

Old 09-06-2013, 11:15 AM   #9
wco81

Xfinitiy on demand is channel 1 or something like that?

But the guide doesn't have specific info. on what's there?

How do you tap into say HBO shows on demand through Roamio?

I just got Comcast installed after over a decade with Direct TV.
wco81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:23 AM   #10
jrtroo
User

No, its an app.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:42 AM   #11
dmaneyapanda

As jrtroo says, you will not be able to access VOD through channel 1 (or any other OD channels). You have to use the app listed on the main Now Showing screen.
dmaneyapanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 02:27 PM   #12
wco81

What an app for the Tivo itself?

Where do you download from?
Old 09-06-2013, 03:14 PM   #13
dmaneyapanda

As mentioned, it is an option on the Now Showing Screen (along with Netflix, Youtube, etc.).
Old 09-06-2013, 03:18 PM   #14
wco81

OK I'll check it out.

How quickly do they get shows on there, a couple of days, a week?

One thing I'm going to miss from Direct TV is getting both East and West coast HD channels for the various cable networks.

So being able to watch shows at 6 or 7 PM instead of 9 or 10 PM. Do they get shows on there right after it airs in the East?
Old 09-06-2013, 03:27 PM   #15
dmaneyapanda

I really have no idea, sorry. I haven't had access to VOD for much more than a week, and I only used it to watch a single episode of "The Bridge" just to test it out. There seems to be a fair amount of stuff listed, but I didn't really look into it too much. The user experience is much worse than viewing a TiVo recorded show, so whenever possible I'd prefer to do that.
Old 09-06-2013, 03:37 PM   #16
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaneyapanda View Post
I really have no idea, sorry. I haven't had access to VOD for much more than a week, and I only used it to watch a single episode of "The Bridge" just to test it out. There seems to be a fair amount of stuff listed, but I didn't really look into it too much. The user experience is much worse than viewing a TiVo recorded show, so whenever possible I'd prefer to do that.
VOD can get you many movies for free and some new ones for a price, most shows are on VOD, just play with it (go to the HD version of VOD). You can launch VOD from the search menus or as stated at the bottom of the list of recorded programs, BUT VOD must be in your Comcast area, TiVo has a list of Comcast places you can get VOD.

Old 09-06-2013, 03:44 PM   #17
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
OK I'll check it out.

How quickly do they get shows on there, a couple of days, a week?

One thing I'm going to miss from Direct TV is getting both East and West coast HD channels for the various cable networks.

So being able to watch shows at 6 or 7 PM instead of 9 or 10 PM. Do they get shows on there right after it airs in the East?
The XFinity app is a special deal TiVo has with Comcast. It's only available in some Comcast areas, not all. This is NOT the same one you can access via XBox or iPad. That one is a subset of VOD content streamed over the internet. The TiVo app will have the full selection of VOD, just like a cable box would. The way it works is that the app is able to talk directly to your local Comcast servers via the internet but when you actually select a show it tunes to a specific channel on the cable, just like traditional VOD.

According to the list here...

http://www.tivo.com/discover/cable

San Jose, CA is not one of the markets where this service is available. But if you see the app on your TiVo then it should work, since the Xfinity app is only enabled for zip codes that support it.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 03:49 PM   #18
wco81

Thanks, it lists the SF Bay Area.

I'd seen the Hulu and Netflix listings but didn't bother because didn't subscribe to either.
Old 09-06-2013, 10:26 PM   #19
mattack

Yeah, I would bet you can get it in San Jose, since I get it in Santa Clara.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 12:02 AM   #20
jmpage2

Anyone notice the audio/video glitching a second every 10 minutes or so during VOD playback?
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 02:07 AM   #21
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
Anyone notice the audio/video glitching a second every 10 minutes or so during VOD playback?
Is it excatly every 10 minutes? If so it could be a drop frame issue. Broadcast uses a technique calle drop frame to get a frame rate of 29.97 to line up properly with a 30Hz clock. What this means is that once a minute the timecode jumps by 1 frame, except at minutes divisible by 10. So every 10 minutes there is one extra frame to display. If the video was encoded improperly this could result in a brief glitch every 10 minutes as the video resyncs to the clock.

Just a theory, could be something completely different.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 08:42 AM   #22
MScottC

Dan, two nitpicks with your comments about dropframe/non-dropframe video. First it's 2 frames every minute except the 10th minutes. Additionally, it really is only a labelling issue. Dropframe vs non-dropframe should never cause a glitch in playback, unless some device is actively steering the playback source, and unless you're involved in some form of production that keeps two devices locked, that should never happen. DF/NDF is an issue I've been dealing with for 35 years. It's a pain in patootie for any longform professional editor who edits for TV and has to have accurate times for broadcast. If you understand it, it's never a problem. Screw it up, and over an hour, your show is 3 seconds and 18 frames too long. Knock on wood, hasn't happened to me yet, but I've seen it happen to others.
Old 09-07-2013, 10:43 AM   #23
jmpage2

It could be a frame-drop issue as it seems to happen with some kind of regularity. The particular show is True Blood Season 6. My wife and I don't subscribe to HBO but noticed it was available as a preview, so we've been watching the episodes. 2-3 times or more per episode (and the incidents are pretty regularly spread out) there is what looks like a quick audio/video glitch or frame drop. I haven't noticed the issue with regular cable, with Netflix, etc, so I was suspicious it's simply a VOD issue with Comcast but haven't watched enough content to draw that conclusion just yet.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 10:58 AM   #24
MScottC

Let me be more specific about "Dropframe" as used in the TV production industry. For editing and other production purposes, videotape and other video recording devices label every frame of a video stream with a signal called "timecode." Due to some technical wizardry involved in making color TV compatible with black and white TV way back when, color TV was designed to run at 29.97 frames per second, not exactly 30 frames per second. This wasn't a big deal, unless you were counting those frames for any length of time. When that timecode counter reached 1:00:00:00 (1 hour) your show material was actually 1 hour 3 seconds and 18 frames long if measured with an accurate clock. So the early TV wizards in their infinite wisdom realized that if you dropped 2 frames of timecode, NOT video, every minute, except on multiples of the 10th minute, you could account for those 108 frames and 1;00;00;00 of timecode represented 1 hour of actual clock time. Again, it is important to realize that we are not dropping frames of video, just numbers in a temporal addressing scheme. Also, my use of semicolons in the second example of timecode was intentional, as the semicolon is the indicator that you are working with "dropframe" timecode. The alternative as typed earlier is considered "non-dropframe" timecode.
Old 09-07-2013, 11:00 AM   #25
wco81

I watched a Colbert Report episode on demand and the audio was dropping out constantly so I gave up.

Then I tried an hour show of Hunted, a Cinemax show and that was fine.

The menus were in SD though.
Old 10-03-2013, 01:14 AM   #26
shawndavid

Quote:
Did this ever get resolved? I am running into same issue. I am in a supported zip code. Was it just a matter of time? Or was Comcast able to do something?

I spoke with Comcast, they seem confused by the error. And, the ticketing system is down so they can't escalate right now. I am getting the same, ERR-2.

They have tried re-activating my cablecard; still no access to VOD.
shawndavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 02:46 AM   #27
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawndavid View Post
Did this ever get resolved? I am running into same issue. I am in a supported zip code. Was it just a matter of time? Or was Comcast able to do something?

I spoke with Comcast, they seem confused by the error. And, the ticketing system is down so they can't escalate right now. I am getting the same, ERR-2.

They have tried re-activating my cablecard; still no access to VOD.
Yes it did get resolved, the tech came to my home and could not get the cable card to work for OD, trying everything with his high end techs on the phone, so he put another cable in my Roamio said this would not help, but did it because I asked him to, the Comcast tech activated the card and OD worked !! The tech could not understand it, the only thing I know is the old cable card was many years old, the new cable card was in the a new looking box and looked new.

Old 10-04-2013, 12:30 AM   #28
shawndavid

Quote:
Yes it did get resolved, the tech came to my home and could not get the cable card to work for OD, trying everything with his high end techs on the phone, so he put another cable in my Roamio said this would not help, but did it because I asked him to, the Comcast tech activated the card and OD worked !! The tech could not understand it, the only thing I know is the old cable card was many years old, the new cable card was in the a new looking box and looked new.
Magically, after numerous calls and bouncing around by Comcast, and supposed inability to create a ticket; my VOD works today. About 48 hours after install.

However, not all VOD shows will play. Most are playing for 2 seconds and then freezing. Next issue...
shawndavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 07:48 AM   #29
drebbe
Carbon Blob

On Demand was working fine for a couple of weeks, but now for the last 24 hours, I'm getting a service error. "Unable to process request. Please call customer service. The locale code is (tivocardio-ch2-a4p.comcast.com). I've seen references to this error on line but no definitive solutions. Before I enter the bottomless abyss of frustration and despair that is Comcast tech support I was hoping someone here might have the magic words I can tell them that might get this resolved easily.
drebbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 09:09 AM   #30
DigitalDawn

When I get those errors a reboot of the mini or Roamio usually fixes it.
DigitalDawn is offline   Reply With Quote