TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-03-2013, 04:36 PM   #1
occraig

Do you think I can put my Tivo in my luggage and fly with it?

I normally carry my tivo onboard with me but I am not taking that much clothes so there is room in my check in bag to put it in there. If I surround it with clothes do you think it would safe to fly from California to NYC?
occraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 06:59 PM   #2
jay_man2
jay_man-also

No.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:25 PM   #3
windracer
joined the 10k club

You could take the hard drive out, I suppose, so it's not damaged.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 07:26 PM   #4
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
Not if you want to have it at the other end. Ship it UPS or FedEx.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:32 PM   #5
occraig

I am only there for a week

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevel View Post
Not if you want to have it at the other end. Ship it UPS or FedEx.

occraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 05:51 AM   #6
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Unless you have a Pelican case, I wouldn't risk it. Baggage handlers don't have a good reputation of taking care with checked luggage.

If you don't believe me, just check out YouTube.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 07:50 AM   #7
mr.unnatural

I would definitely put it in your carry-on bag. I used to take a ReplayTV with me all over the country and I would never even consider putting it in a bag that is touched by the baggage gorillas.

Once, while on a business trip, I was sitting in a plane waiting to continue on to my next destination. I happened to be sitting by the window where I could clearly see the baggage handlers unloading luggage from the plane. There was this big burly woman taking the bags and literally slinging them through the air to multiple baggage carts arranged in a semicircle at the end of the conveyer belt. There were numerous boxes clearly marked FRAGILE in big red letters on each box. She treated them exactly the same as the bags and hurled them through the air in the direction the cart. One or two of them missed the cart and hit the ground hard.

That's pretty much how they'll treat your bag with the Tivo. I never check any bags that contain anything fragile or breakable. In fact, I try to pack light enough so I don't have to check any bags at all unless I know I'll be gone for more than 3 or 4 days.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 09:44 AM   #8
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
I'd be more concerned with a TSA agent absconding with it. Putting ANYTHING valuable in checked luggage, or any electronics, is an invitation to theft. But yes, you can pretty much be assured that your bag will be savaged.
Old 10-04-2013, 12:17 PM   #9
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

When I first heard about TiVo to Go, I thought "Oh cool, they're making a portable TiVo!"

But no. They didn't.

In those days (pre-Slingbox, IIRC) it seemed like an obvious thing to do. If you had to go to your parents' house for a visit, you could take a TiVo with you, run Guided Setup, turn the TiVo service on for the duration (if necessary) and you'd be good to go. You could watch their local TV and still have trick play and all the other things.

If you used your Travel TiVo at home, you'd already have the service paid for; if not, you could call and activate service for the duration of your trip. Or TiVo could have done the deal they did of having TiVo Basic (only three days of Guide Data), with the option of paying for more if you wanted it.

It would have given us the all the ability to take TiVos with us everywhere and to demo the software and service for households that didn't already have one.
Old 10-04-2013, 01:48 PM   #10
windracer
joined the 10k club

Hopefully the forthcoming out-of-house streaming for the Roamio platform will make this kind of thing a lot easier.

|
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote