TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-03-2013, 06:40 PM   #1
chrison600

Difficulty Installing TiVo Roamio on TWC

Hi all,

First post. I am migrating from DirecTV to TWC in order to [re]implement TiVo. We have had RoadRunner here for 7 years, so I was told by the TWC sales group that all they had to do was switch the TV feed on and then it was up to equipment installation in the house as to when the TV feeds would be accessible. I purchased a Roamio and Mini and visited the local TWC office for a CableCARD and tuning adapter. Initial installation was attempted last night.

After three hours on the phone, I had nothing but a scheduled service call. I called and tried to have the CableCARD initialized again this morning, to no avail. The tech suggested that the card might be bad. I returned it to the TWC office and got a replacement. The replacement resulted in the same outcome.

Along the process, a few techs insisted that even though the card and tuner were failing, I could still get basic channels by connecting the TWC feed to a panel with a tuner. I tried that later today and there are no channels at all.

Another call to TWC support developed the suggestion that there might be a TV trap installed at the pole. I now have a tech visit scheduled for tomorrow for removal of the trap.

I've read an article about traps and it seems reasonable as the reason the card activation group could see the card and tuner and attempt to activate them both, but there was no signal reaching the hardware.

I'm hopeful about the visit tomorrow fixing things, but skeptical as well and wondering what the TiVo Community thought about the current situation.

Chris
chrison600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 06:51 PM   #2
unitron

"...I could still get basic channels by connecting the TWC feed to a panel with a tuner."

Is that what others might refer to as a television set with a digital tuner?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:49 PM   #3
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Post your TWC region or at least your location. Each region is different and another forum member in your region might offer specific suggestions.

I too am confused by your statement about connecting to a "panel".

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:15 PM   #4
chrison600

Sorry about the "panel" language. I just meant a "TV".

An update though. A TWC tech came tonight and removed the trap. The CableCARD immediately activated. Still had to call in because the tuning adapter gave troubles, but we're up now, seemingly ok.

A question about a Roamio + Mini. The Mini installation guide says the following: "No other device can record shows on a tuner in use by TiVo Mini." Can the tuned channel be recorded? I would guess so. That would be the only way to pause, etc. What if a channel is triggered to record via a Mini, then the channel is changed at the same Mini?

For example, I'm watching a show on a TV connected to a Mini. I decide, "Hey, I like this show, I think I'll record it for later and change the channel." Surely the show will record in the "background" even though I changed the channel?

Chris
Old 10-04-2013, 01:55 AM   #5
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrison600 View Post
Sorry about the "panel" language. I just meant a "TV".

An update though. A TWC tech came tonight and removed the trap. The CableCARD immediately activated. Still had to call in because the tuning adapter gave troubles, but we're up now, seemingly ok.

A question about a Roamio + Mini. The Mini installation guide says the following: "No other device can record shows on a tuner in use by TiVo Mini." Can the tuned channel be recorded? I would guess so. That would be the only way to pause, etc. What if a channel is triggered to record via a Mini, then the channel is changed at the same Mini?

For example, I'm watching a show on a TV connected to a Mini. I decide, "Hey, I like this show, I think I'll record it for later and change the channel." Surely the show will record in the "background" even though I changed the channel?

Chris
Just off the top of my head, I'd say that the stream from the tuner the Mini is using is dedicated to the Mini, and can't also be sent to the hard drive of the TiVo--in other words, it can't do a virtual Y-cable--, so you'd have to tune one of the TiVo's other tuners to that same channel to record it to the TiVo.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 11:11 AM   #6
chrison600

Just an update. While you're watching live TV via a Mini, you can trigger to record that channel, then change to another channel and the Mini will continue recording AND change to the newly selected channel. I don't know if you can do this more than once, e.g. trigger more than one channel to be recorded while changing to other channels.

Chris
Old 10-23-2013, 09:54 PM   #7
flippedgator

Roamio & Tune Adapt & TIVO warning & no channels >25

right behind you, Cincinnati customer, new roamio, & tuning adapter (cisco 1225) & Mcard, & 2 hours on phone, & no luck, I get channels 2-25 & nothing else but an error on scrteen . My tuning adapter blinked, TW tech says tune adapt does not see a signal when it is blinking. . .re-plugging the usb coord from tune adapt to roamio gets a solid lite on the tune adapt . , but no change, in getting channels > than 25. So I'll see what the tech visit shows , maybe a trap here on the pole too. What about the TIVO warning that says Tune Adapt restricts number of tuners??
flippedgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 12:29 AM   #8
dlfl
Cranky old novice

The STA 1520 is the only Cisco TA I've ever heard of. Yours is a 1225 ???

During boot up/power up the TA light blinks then finally becomes steady. I guess if it just keeps blinking forever that could mean it's not getting signal.

A repeated sequence of 6-blinks-pause means the TA isn't seeing the Tivo via the USB cable. An 8-blink-pause sequence means the TA isn't authorized.

and
Old 10-25-2013, 07:49 PM   #9
flippedgator

dlfl - thanks for the info , TA is 1525, I fat fingered it, so it IS 8 blink sequence , TA not authorized, shouldn't I be able to get T/W to authorize it w/out having to take off work to meet the tech?
Old 10-25-2013, 08:51 PM   #10
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Authorizing the TA is done by TWC sending the appropriate signal to it. Whether they know how to do this can be doubtful, especially if they are new to TA's. What might work is to ask the telephone support rep to go to the "Customer Balancing" screen and hit the Enter key. This sends signals in addition to the TA authorization signal so you might have to power cycle the TA or restart the Tivo also. However, I think you should see a reaction of some kind on the TA light when they do this.

The TA authorizations only last something like a month so they have to send it every 20 days or so. Normally this should occur automatically but during the first year I had my TA they never sent the automatic refresh signal and I would get 8-blinks every month and have to call them.

Once the TA is operating to the point where you can get into the TA Diagnostics menu there is a place you can look to see the exact date and time at which your TA auth will expire. I believe it's under "PowerKey" and is called "Sub Expires". I can provide more exact detail although my Tivo is a Tivo HD model so it could be different.

TA's are something the cable cos never wanted but grudgingly created to avoid pressure from the FCC to force them to serve SDV channels to third party equipment (e.g., Tivo's). Thus if you get seamless TA operation and good TA support you are among the lucky ones.

and
Old 10-25-2013, 10:39 PM   #11
flippedgator

So everything is working, I called in again, got transferred to Cable Card folks, , they found a few things, Mcard was still assigned to someone else, they found that TW didn't see the m-card paired , even though the TiVo screen said it was, then the cisco TA came back to 8 blink pattern again TW said , it was 'bricked' not properly setup before it came out to me, not recoverable remotely once it was in the field. he took a little while and found the reset instruction and got it reset after all. 20 mins later, I am up and running
Old 10-25-2013, 11:13 PM   #12
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Here's how you find the date your TA is authorized until, at least on my Tivo HD:
Tivo Central .... Messages & Settings ... Account & System Information .... Tuning Adapter ... Tuning Adapter Diagnostics ... PowerKEY information .... go to third page. Look at: Sub Expires

Mine is currently 1118.110000, which means 11/18 at 11:00 hrs exactly. If you reach that date/time you will see the TA start the 8-blinks exactly then. Hopefully you will receive the automatic updates to keep that date at least 20 days out.

I think your experience has illustrated what TWC support of CableCARD and TA is like ---- not exactly seamless. Good luck!

and