TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-15-2013, 10:12 PM   #31
GrtEscGtr301

Sorry for the radio silence, I've been on the road the past couple of days. Well, the S2 is now on life support. No matter what I do it eventually goes into the Reboot-Loop-Of-Death. I was able to get it into Kickstart mode and try KS 57, 58, all the 54 variants (all of which came up clean) and 56, (which failed with some kind of network error). I also removed the drive and did a level 4 test on SpinRite just to be sure the drive hardware was OK, which it was. No errors there.

At this point I'm at a loss. I was able to find a TiVo tech who was a bit more sympathetic and tried to be more helpful than the first guy, but with no more success. I can get the system up and running, but as soon as it phones home for a service update, back to the RLOD.

I definitely have 9.3.2b on the drive, and (as sbourgeo hinted) would be happy to test a 9.3.2c version. I'll keep puttering around and watching the board here for suggestions, but I'm about to throw in the towel. (And the Roamio sure does look purdee, don't it? ;-)
GrtEscGtr301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 01:08 PM   #32
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

I finally pulled the logs from mine and see what is going on. Basically, everything is running fine with software version 9.3.2b-01-2-540. It then downloads the 9.3.2c-01-2-540 slices, loads them into MFS, and then installs them at the next reboot.

I see from the logs with both of the drives I tried (which both pass the long manufacturer diags) it tries to create and mount the new root file system that should be sitting on /dev/hda4 and fails trying to mount it. At that point, the old root file system (/dev/hda7) is unmountable, the new root file system (/dev/hda4) is mountable but empty, and the /var filesystem (/dev/hda9) contains all of the logs documenting this. This basically puts you in the reboot loop because there is no valid operating system on the box.

I don't have a lot of time to work on this at the moment, but I do have a couple of things I can try. First, I wonder if a bug is choking on the fact that there is no existing "old" root file system on /dev/hda4 because this disk was created from Unitron's truncated 9.3.2b backup. I'm going to try dd'ing the contents of /dev/hda7 to /dev/hda4 before I run guided setup so there is at least something on there before the eventual 9.3.2c install starts. Failing that, if I can get a killhdinitrd kernel running to get CLI on this I could try executing the upgrade script manually so I can intervene as required. Another option would be to just restore a 9.3.2c backup if we can get one, but that could mean we'd have to repeat this exercise if 9.3.2d is ever released.

I'll provide more details when I know more.
"You know, ground beef is a real winner nowadays" -- Faster Guy
sbourgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 04:56 PM   #33
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

Well, I can verify that dd'ing the contents of /dev/hda7 to /dev/hda4 also results in a reboot loop Haven't had a chance to pull the disk and look at the logs yet, but I'm guessing I know what's there...
Old 09-17-2013, 10:55 AM   #34
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

I also just figured out that the TCD540040 needs to have the prom physically replaced to use the killhdinitrd kernel. So much for that option.

It's looking like we're stuck without a 9.3.2c backup to restore. I did take a truncated backup with 9.3.2b before the call to get the 9.3.2c upgrade, so I guess I'll have to restore that every few months and have the TiVo call in to maintain my MSD. This sucks.
Old 09-20-2013, 08:03 AM   #35
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

I have been using Unitron's 9.3.2b MFSLive image for this experimentation, so for the heck of it I tried using his WinMFS image on yet another SATA drive. Unfortunately, this also results in a reboot loop.
Old 09-20-2013, 08:27 PM   #36
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbourgeo View Post
I have been using Unitron's 9.3.2b MFSLive image for this experimentation, so for the heck of it I tried using his WinMFS image on yet another SATA drive. Unfortunately, this also results in a reboot loop.
Does my image cause it, or is it the failure of the update from b to c?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 09:25 PM   #37
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

It could be both, but it's nearly impossible to debug without CLI or the ability to add my own code (I have the stock prom). I get the same reboot loop using your virgin 9.3.2b image on multiple SATA and PATA drives that pass the long manufacturer diags when they attempt to upgrade to 9.3.2c. From the kernel log file during one of those attempts:

Quote:
Sep 7 11:50:14 (none) kernel: NewSoftware: getting SwSystem name
Sep 7 11:50:14 (none) kernel: NewSoftware: SwSystem 9.3.2c-01-2-540 is present but NOT active.
Sep 7 11:50:14 (none) kernel: NewSoftware: SpigotMapInfo: Name production Vers 25 Svc 3
Sep 7 11:50:14 (none) kernel: NewSoftware: map is OK, 25 >= 25
Sep 7 11:50:14 (none) kernel: NewSoftware: SpigotMapInfo: Name production Vers 4 Svc 11
Sep 7 11:50:14 (none) kernel: NewSoftware: map is OK, 4 >= 4
Sep 7 11:50:14 (none) kernel: NewSoftware: SpigotMapInfo: Name production Vers 7 Svc 12
Sep 7 11:50:14 (none) kernel: NewSoftware: map is OK, 7 >= 7
Sep 7 11:50:14 (none) kernel: NewSoftware: SpigotMapInfo: Name production Vers 4 Svc 14
Sep 7 11:50:14 (none) kernel: NewSoftware: map is OK, 4 >= 4
Sep 7 11:50:19 (none) kernel: 09/07:11:50:19: /tvbin/installSw.itcl: Installing "9.3.2c-01-2-540".
Sep 7 11:50:19 (none) kernel: Installing module utils
Sep 7 11:50:20 (none) kernel: 09/07:11:50:20: /tvbin/installSw.itcl: Executing updateroot /dev/hda /install /var/packages 9.3.2c-01-2-540
Sep 7 11:50:24 (none) kernel: Path prefix is /var/utils/
Sep 7 11:50:24 (none) kernel: Sha1hash passed for updatekernel
Sep 7 11:50:24 (none) kernel: Sha1hash passed for checkkernel.tcl
Sep 7 11:50:24 (none) kernel: Sha1hash passed for messagelib.tcl
Sep 7 11:50:24 (none) kernel: Sha1hash passed for buildskeleton
Sep 7 11:50:25 (none) kernel: Sha1hash passed for SwInstall.tcl
Sep 7 11:50:25 (none) kernel: Sha1hash passed for builddev
Sep 7 11:50:25 (none) kernel:
Sep 7 11:50:25 (none) kernel: Searching /etc/fstab for current root
Sep 7 11:50:25 (none) kernel: Old root is on /dev/hda7, new one goes on /dev/hda4
Sep 7 11:50:25 (none) kernel: Creating new filesystem on /dev/hda4
Sep 7 11:50:57 (none) kernel: Mounting new root filesystem on /install
Sep 7 11:50:57 (none) kernel:
Sep 7 11:50:57 (none) kernel: couldn't create error file for command: I/O error
Sep 7 11:50:57 (none) kernel: while executing
Sep 7 11:50:57 (none) kernel: "exec mount $dev$newroot $installdir"
Sep 7 11:50:57 (none) kernel: (file "/var/utils/updateroot" line 119)
Sep 7 11:50:57 (none) kernel: assert: Tmk Assertion Failure:
Sep 7 11:50:57 (none) kernel: assert: AutoLock, line 149 ()
Sep 7 11:50:58 (none) kernel: Tmk Fatal Error: Thread tivosh <159> strayed!
Sep 7 11:50:58 (none) kernel: Paste the following into a shell to get a backtrace...

Old 09-21-2013, 12:46 AM   #38
unitron

I'll try to find a time when I can take my 540 offline and do a new "c" backup, but I fear laundry and lawnmowing will have to take priority to keep the peace around here, so not sure how soon.

Old 09-21-2013, 07:37 AM   #39
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
I'll try to find a time when I can take my 540 offline and do a new "c" backup, but I fear laundry and lawnmowing will have to take priority to keep the peace around here, so not sure how soon.
Ha, I'm about to head to Lowe's for the materials for my task list today! I was at least able to cut the grass last night.

I really appreciate the help though, I'm stuck in the water on this one.
Old 09-22-2013, 06:23 AM   #40
Todd B.

I can confirm the exact same behavior seen on my 540040 as described in this thread, and also in this thread.

The original hard drive had failed, so I had restored onto a new hard drive using unitron's image. It was fine for a year, but a couple weeks ago, it started doing this reboot loop thing. Since then, I've tried restoring it with numerous different options using mfslive and Winmfs, to no avail. As soon as the software update happens, it always starts the reboot loop again.

I'd be curious to know if everyone experiencing the problem started off with a restoration from unitron's image.

I'd also be very grateful for a "c" image, unitron.
Todd B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:14 AM   #41
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd B. View Post
I'd be curious to know if everyone experiencing the problem started off with a restoration from unitron's image.
That's a good question. My stock drive was shot so I don't have that point of reference. I'm not sure what image GrtEscGtr301's was initially running though.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:08 PM   #42
unitron

EDIT:

APPARENTLY THESE DON'T WORK FOR SOME REASON, SO I'M GOING TO PULL THEM TO FREE UP DROPBOX SPACE.

For the ones that do work, go here:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...54#post9838454

END EDIT

"c" images for the 540 here:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...14#post9829114

I made them but haven't tested them due to lack of time and a spare hard drive, so let me know how they work out.

Last edited by unitron : 10-09-2013 at 04:40 AM.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:33 AM   #43
ACraigL

I'm now watching this thread closely as well. I also recently lost a series 2, posted in a thread above. Unitron helped me as well, and got it to boot properly with his image, but has since failed.

I never bootlooped, but in my case it never got past the almost there screen before a crash/black screen. Hopefully this can be worked out...
  • Linksys WRT600N Router
  • Harmony H550
ACraigL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 09:03 AM   #44
GrtEscGtr301

Quote:
"c" images for the 540 here:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...14#post9829114

I made them but haven't tested them due to lack of time and a spare hard drive, so let me know how they work out.
Hi guys. Been traveling a bit but just caught up on the thread. In the meantime I've located a 40GB drive that I labeled "TiVo A Drive". Not sure which machine it's from but I'm pretty sure it's a TiVo stock drive. So I'm going to reinstall that and see if that can make the B-to-C upgrade.

Second I will download Unitron's C image and see if I can get that to work. I'll post the results back here, as always. Wish me luck....
Old 09-29-2013, 02:30 PM   #45
Todd B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrtEscGtr301 View Post
Hi guys. Been traveling a bit but just caught up on the thread. In the meantime I've located a 40GB drive that I labeled "TiVo A Drive". Not sure which machine it's from but I'm pretty sure it's a TiVo stock drive. So I'm going to reinstall that and see if that can make the B-to-C upgrade.

Second I will download Unitron's C image and see if I can get that to work. I'll post the results back here, as always. Wish me luck....
You should make a backup of the stock drive before installing or doing any upgrades to it. It might be useful for troubleshooting or for other people to test with.

As for Unitron's current C images, I think the consensus in the other thread is that they don't work, and he is working on taking and posting new backups.
Old 09-29-2013, 10:11 PM   #46
GrtEscGtr301

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd B. View Post
You should make a backup of the stock drive before installing or doing any upgrades to it. It might be useful for troubleshooting or for other people to test with.

As for Unitron's current C images, I think the consensus in the other thread is that they don't work, and he is working on taking and posting new backups.
Well, folks, it looks like this is the end of the line. Simply placing the stock drive in the S2 never got past the Welcome screen, and trying to install the "C" version on the drive resulted in a "drive too small" error from MFSLive (as Todd B hinted might happen). At this point, She-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed has shut down the project, citing the need to re-assemble her computer (the only one that still handles the S2 ATA drives) and a refusal to sit through one more 3-hour Guided Setup loop.

I think 9 years is a good run for the S2, and we've certainly gotten our money's worth from the Lifetime Service purchase. We still have one more S2 left in the family so it will be interesting to see if that one can last just as long. The new Roamio will be ordered tomorrow so we'll have a shiny new plaything to hold our attention for a while.

Unitron, bless you for all the help you've provided trying to get this fixed, and for all the help you've provided to others on this board. Sbourgeo, thanks to you, too, for trying to help out. I hope this issue finally gets fixed and, if so, maybe I'll be able to rescue the old gal after all.
Old 09-29-2013, 11:42 PM   #47
Todd B.

Quote:
I think 9 years is a good run for the S2, and we've certainly gotten our money's worth from the Lifetime Service purchase.
9 years is a good run, but what bothers me most about this is that the hardware is still perfectly fine and serviceable. It's simply this software issue, which shouldn't be an issue. I hate to get rid of something that still works.

That said, I also ended up just picking up a Roamio this weekend, and I will probably give my Dad (who had the problem Series 2) my Tivo HD, and then I'll sell this Series 2, if/when we ever get a fix.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:51 AM   #48
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

Quote:
Sbourgeo, thanks to you, too, for trying to help out. I hope this issue finally gets fixed and, if so, maybe I'll be able to rescue the old gal after all.
In the worst case, I was able to get unitron's WinMFS 9.3.2c image to boot, run a CD&E, and go through guided setup even though the restore crashed during the cleanup phase. I don't have a good feel for long-term stability, but it looks like it might be good enough so I can have it call in periodically and keep my MSD intact.
Old 10-02-2013, 01:38 AM   #49
unitron

Tested 540 "c" images now available

See this post in the "Need an image, don't PM me" thread:

Old 10-03-2013, 05:55 PM   #50
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

I can verify that the latest MFSLive 9.3.2c backup brought my S2 back from the perpetual reboot loop death! Thanks unitron, you've helped a bunch of us out quite a bit (again).
Old 10-03-2013, 06:48 PM   #51
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbourgeo View Post
I can verify that the latest MFSLive 9.3.2c backup brought my S2 back from the perpetual reboot loop death! Thanks unitron, you've helped a bunch of us out quite a bit (again).
And you were using the .bak and not the .tbk version?

As soon as I get confirmation that both the MFS Live and WinMFS versions work I can pull any other 540 images and get some space back on DropBox.

Anybody got a 540 or 240 power supply they want to sell cheap?

Old 10-03-2013, 08:12 PM   #52
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

Quote:
And you were using the .bak and not the .tbk version?

As soon as I get confirmation that both the MFS Live and WinMFS versions work I can pull any other 540 images and get some space back on DropBox.

Anybody got a 540 or 240 power supply they want to sell cheap?
Yes, the .bak version works fine.

I have an HDVR2 power supply that'll work in a 540. PM me your address and it's yours.
Old 10-06-2013, 08:15 AM   #53
GrtEscGtr301

Quote:
See this post in the "Need an image, don't PM me" thread:

Hey, Unitron, I'm back. Through a comical set of circumstances we haven't gotten the new Roamio yet and this post caught my eye. Before I subject She-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed to yet another round of computer disassembly, C&DE, GS, anticipation, and ultimate heartbreak, is there a minimum drive size that this "C" image needs to be restored? The target drive is a 160GB. Thanks.
Old 10-06-2013, 08:20 AM   #54
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

Quote:
Hey, Unitron, I'm back. Through a comical set of circumstances we haven't gotten the new Roamio yet and this post caught my eye. Before I subject She-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed to yet another round of computer disassembly, C&DE, GS, anticipation, and ultimate heartbreak, is there a minimum drive size that this "C" image needs to be restored? The target drive is a 160GB. Thanks.
One of the tests I did was to restore this image to a 40 GB Maxtor drive I had hanging around, which worked fine. I was also able to restore to and expand a 250 GB drive, so you should be good to go with a 160 GB drive.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:32 PM   #55
unitron

Quote:
sbourgeo was able to use a 40GB drive because he used a Maxtor 40GB drive from the days when the Maxtors were a little bit bigger than other brands where everyone was saying their drive was "X"GB.

That's why I put a minimum Logical Block Array number in that post.

As long as the LBA number of your drive is bigger, you're good to go.

I guess the next biggest drive made back then by anybody would have been a 60GB, so if it says that on it, or larger, you're good to go as well, as even rounding up, the Maxtor I made the image from is only like 41GB.

Old 10-07-2013, 12:03 PM   #56
photobrian

Hello all,
I have TWO old toshiba SD400's and one of them has version "c" and the other version "b" and the "b" version I believe is having the problem described in this thread. After a series of reboots(sometimes dozens, sometimes just one) it will come back up and work however it wants to restart itself every night in the middle of the night and inevitably it gets stuck on the "almost there" screen and never finishes rebooting. Once in a while when I unplug it and plug it back in the screen will say "installing a service update" and it will come up to the tivo screen but still did not actually complete the update.

Since I have a working unit with version C is there any way to pull the image from that machine and fix my other? I feel like these machines have always had different software on them so its like this version has been installed for years and is only now becoming a problem when..but what do I know except the one doesnt work and it's super frustrating. lol. Thanks.
photobrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:59 PM   #57
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

Quote:
Originally Posted by photobrian View Post
Since I have a working unit with version C is there any way to pull the image from that machine and fix my other? I feel like these machines have always had different software on them so its like this version has been installed for years and is only now becoming a problem when..but what do I know except the one doesnt work and it's super frustrating. lol. Thanks.
If the units are identical, you can absolutely use the image from the working unit on the one stuck in the reboot loop. Check out the WinMFS/MFSLive info at mfslive.org for more details.
Old 10-08-2013, 08:24 AM   #58
GrtEscGtr301

Quote:
sbourgeo was able to use a 40GB drive because he used a Maxtor 40GB drive from the days when the Maxtors were a little bit bigger than other brands where everyone was saying their drive was "X"GB.

That's why I put a minimum Logical Block Array number in that post.

As long as the LBA number of your drive is bigger, you're good to go.

I guess the next biggest drive made back then by anybody would have been a 60GB, so if it says that on it, or larger, you're good to go as well, as even rounding up, the Maxtor I made the image from is only like 41GB.
Sounds good. I'm on the road for a couple of weeks but I'll give it a shot as soon as I get home. Thanks again.