TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-01-2013, 03:01 PM   #31
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryl View Post
Yep. I liked an actor and the premise of Revolution but I couldn't stand the show. The writing and the direction didn't hold me.
I watched 3 episodes of Revolution and dropped it. Still here it being talked about so I am not sure if I should go back to watch, but really am not that interested.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 03:36 PM   #32
MonsterJoe
salty meat-poles

It took me 5 years to get past the 1st episode of Breaking Bad.

I tend to bail quickly, but am open to trying again.
MonsterJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 03:58 PM   #33
Azlen

For most new shows, the pilot episode is the highest ratings it will ever get, so a good chunk of the Nielsen audience seems to bail if they don't like the pilot. It's the rare show that will actually build an audience in subsequent episodes and those shows usually have great word of mouth. One of the more recent shows that did this that comes to mind is Scandal as well as Breaking Bad whose ratings went in the exact opposite direction with it's finale the highest rated episode.
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 08:52 PM   #34
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by betts4 View Post
I watched 3 episodes of Revolution and dropped it. Still here it being talked about so I am not sure if I should go back to watch, but really am not that interested.
Don't bother.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jsmeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:22 PM   #35
mattack

Revolution is entertaining.. I still haven't watched the season premiere yet, but that's not saying much. I *do* go back and watch old stuff I recorded.

I don't remember what show, but I think I may have given up on one after the pilot last year.. but if I watch, usually I watch a couple... and then if I get into a show, I watch until _THE END_ for the most part. Some of the exceptions in the past were actually *popular* shows, since I know they would show up on DVD.. and even one of my favorite shows ever, 'er', because there were too many things on between 9-11 on Thursday nights and Tivos couldn't deal with the 9:58-11 recording.. so I gave up on 'er' at some point. I have a couple of seasons to watch when I pick up the DVD set some eon (after the Bluray full series gets dirt cheap, the DVD set will be even cheaper!). Did the same with CSI. But for the most part, if I watch more than a couple of episodes, I keep watching or at least recording, the show... and as I said, there have been times when I have gone back and watched episodes I recorded from a year or two ago and caught up. Though it's not an example, I do think after trying out the first couple eps of Revolution last year, I waited months before watching a bunch fairly quickly to catch up near the end of the year.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:16 AM   #36
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Fortunately, I have enough storage on my TiVos that I can record all the new shows that pique my interests.
I don't watch them right away. I keep up with current shows while the new ones get saved up. If the show doesn't last a full season, I just delete them...there's no point in watching them if that happens.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:17 AM   #37
Alfer
WOOSAH!

Blacklist is the perfect example of how a pilot grabbed us (wife and I) and had us hooked from pretty much the opening scene. My wife is already hooked (as am I) and was fully entrenched and said she thinks this could be "great series".
Alfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:19 AM   #38
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterJoe View Post
It took me 5 years to get past the 1st episode of Breaking Bad.

I tend to bail quickly, but am open to trying again.
That was me with Mad Men. And I probably wouldn't have gone back if I wasn't bored and had nothing else to watch. The first episode of Mad Men was incredibly boring.

So while I usually won't revisit something I dropped on the first episode, it's not unprecedented that I might.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:25 AM   #39
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
Fortunately, I have enough storage on my TiVos that I can record all the new shows that pique my interests.
I don't watch them right away. I keep up with current shows while the new ones get saved up. If the show doesn't last a full season, I just delete them...there's no point in watching them if that happens.
See, I never got that whole "if the ratings are bad, no sense watching" thing. Why should "the ratings" dictate what you might like? If everyone sat back and waited for the ratings to come in to watch than NO show would get any ratings. For me, if I like the show, I'm going to enjoy it for however long it's on. I do kinda get it for serialized shows, because they can leave you hanging with no answers to the plot. But for sitcoms and procedurals? Why not just enjoy it until it's officially cancelled? A show like Whitney the last couple of years mostly got bad ratings, but I enjoyed it, so I was going to watch until I couldn't. If I enjoyed it for only 5 episodes? I got that much enjoyment and moved on.
Old 10-02-2013, 11:33 AM   #40
markz
Hilarity Ensues

If I am interested enough to watch the pilot, I will give a show at least two episodes, maybe three before bailing. I know that the pilot is usually filmed way ahead of the rest of the episodes and often times a lot is revamped between the pilot and the next couple of episodes.

Since I have a Hopper, it records all of prime time (on the 4 major networks) automatically. Therefore I can easily give every show a viewing or two before deciding not to continue watching. I don't have to worry about setting up the DVR to record most shows except the networks like AMC, FX, USA, etc.

markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 12:04 PM   #41
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy

I used to worry about this but now we have Netflix and On Demand so it is much easier to see shows we discounted early on if they happen to get a lot of good buzz.

IMO it's good to have a list of shows you want to watch someday.
We usually have a surplus but there have been dry spells and that's when we pick up shows we missed first run.
Old 10-02-2013, 02:27 PM   #42
Kablemodem
Get the ketchup.

I miss the days of only three channels with only a few new shows to watch. Watching TV is too much work these days.
Old 10-02-2013, 02:44 PM   #43
markz
Hilarity Ensues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kablemodem View Post
I miss the days of only three channels with only a few new shows to watch. Watching TV is too much work these days.
If I won the lottery, I could hire someone to watch TV for me.

markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:30 PM   #44
unitron

Of course if you were going to give up on Firefly after the pilot episode you had to wait for them to show an episode or three out of order first.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:01 PM   #45
midas
I heard that

I never nuke a sitcom after just watching the pilot. But after seeing the 2nd episode of Dads, I'm starting to rethink that philosophy.
midas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 09:29 PM   #46
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
See, I never got that whole "if the ratings are bad, no sense watching" thing. Why should "the ratings" dictate what you might like?
I think it's dumb too, but some people refuse to watch/immediately delete a show when it's cancelled. So they'll only watch the show while it's still being made.

I will continue to watch, if I like the show, even when I know it ends on a cliffhanger.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 06:25 AM   #47
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
See, I never got that whole "if the ratings are bad, no sense watching" thing. Why should "the ratings" dictate what you might like? If everyone sat back and waited for the ratings to come in to watch than NO show would get any ratings. For me, if I like the show, I'm going to enjoy it for however long it's on. I do kinda get it for serialized shows, because they can leave you hanging with no answers to the plot. But for sitcoms and procedurals? Why not just enjoy it until it's officially cancelled? A show like Whitney the last couple of years mostly got bad ratings, but I enjoyed it, so I was going to watch until I couldn't. If I enjoyed it for only 5 episodes? I got that much enjoyment and moved on.
I don't pay attention to the ratings. I understand what you are saying though.
I mostly stick with the 1 hour dramas/procedurals and since most of those involve ongoing plots, I don't see any point in watching what is essentially an unfinished story if the show doesn't last a full season.

Would you still take the time to read a book if you knew that the last few chapters were ripped from the end of it?

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 07:49 AM   #48
kdelande
TiVo-Wobble

Made it through half of the 30 Rock pilot and bailed. I have never retried it, despite all the praise it gets/got.

Just moved on to other things.

XBL: kdawg5
kdelande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 08:03 AM   #49
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
I don't pay attention to the ratings. I understand what you are saying though.
I mostly stick with the 1 hour dramas/procedurals and since most of those involve ongoing plots, I don't see any point in watching what is essentially an unfinished story if the show doesn't last a full season.

Would you still take the time to read a book if you knew that the last few chapters were ripped from the end of it?
Depends on the book. If it was a book of short stories, sure (think sitcom). If it was a series of books and the author only wrote the first two and decided not to finish the series, I'd read the first two (procedural). If it was a self contained book, and the last three chapters were missing, I'd probably read up until the point that I knew they were missing.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:18 AM   #50
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

I did not even make it all the way through the first epsiode of Super Fun Night last night.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:13 AM   #51
Kablemodem
Get the ketchup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
I think it's dumb too, but some people refuse to watch/immediately delete a show when it's cancelled. So they'll only watch the show while it's still being made.

I will continue to watch, if I like the show, even when I know it ends on a cliffhanger.
I was going to start watching Breaking Bad, but it's already been cancelled, so what's the point?
Old 10-03-2013, 01:18 PM   #52
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kablemodem View Post
I was going to start watching Breaking Bad, but it's already been cancelled, so what's the point?
While I understand your point, you picked the wrong show. It wasn't cancelled, it finished its run. It is complete. Start to finish.

Now you can watch it, since you know it won't leave you hanging.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 01:47 PM   #53
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post

Why do you say it's dumb? What difference does it make?
People stop watching tv shows all the time for lots of reasons. There is no reason to invest time in something you've decided is no longer worth your time.
Old 10-03-2013, 01:49 PM   #54
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
Why do you say it's dumb? What difference does it make?
People stop watching tv shows all the time for lots of reasons. There is no reason to invest time in something you've decided is no longer worth your time.
I'm not saying it's dumb, people do what they do. But how do you know if a show is worth your time or not, until you watch it?
Old 10-03-2013, 01:52 PM   #55
MonsterJoe
salty meat-poles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maui View Post
I did not even make it all the way through the first epsiode of Super Fun Night last night.
It was so not the show that it claimed to be.
MonsterJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 01:55 PM   #56
WhiskeyTango

Quote:
I'm not saying it's dumb, people do what they do. But how do you know if a show is worth your time or not, until you watch it?
If it's likely to be canned before finishing the season, it's not worth my time. Pretty simple actually.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 02:05 PM   #57
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyTango View Post
If it's likely to be canned before finishing the season, it's not worth my time. Pretty simple actually.
I don't see it that way.

There's no shows you could have enjoyed for the one season (or less) that it was on? Nielsen or the Networks decide for you what you like?
Old 10-03-2013, 02:16 PM   #58
WhiskeyTango

Quote:
I don't see it that way.

There's no shows you could have enjoyed for the one season (or less) that it was on? Nielsen or the Networks decide for you what you like?
They don't decide what I like. They help me decide what I'm going to commit my limited time to. Any time spent watching a doomed show is time I'm not watching and keeping up on a keeper.

I'm sure there are some shows I could have enjoyed for a season but I dropped them in favor of shows I have enjoyed for multiple seasons.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 02:53 PM   #59
The Spud
Nick Danger, 3rd Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by midas View Post
I never nuke a sitcom after just watching the pilot. But after seeing the 2nd episode of Dads, I'm starting to rethink that philosophy.
Technically, I nuked this after the 2nd episode, but since I didn't watch the 2nd episode, I guess I gave up after the pilot. My thought process was that it was so bad that even if it got significantly better it would still be pretty bad.

I have pretty low standards, so giving up during or after the pilot doesn't happen very often.

The Spud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 03:28 PM   #60
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
You can't possible be serious.