TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-03-2013, 12:05 PM   #1
jentodd

HD failure? Stuck in guided setup N11

Bought used lifetime Tivo HD from reputable seller on ebay. We cannot get thru guided setup. It stalls on "getting info" and says "connection interrupted with code N11"

we've tried---wireless connection, wired, phone connection (and a phone connection at a friend's house). It always gets to the same spot and stops. Tivo says they can see it makes a connection, just doesn't hold it.

Is this a hard drive problem? We've done power cycling, kickstart codes, router port openings, etc. Trying to decide whether to return it to the seller and find another one or if I'm missing something.

Thank you!
jentodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 12:44 PM   #2
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Warning: This was double-posted here:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=509769
Double-posting leads to great confusion -- please don't do it.

Sounds like it could be network/internet problems. Also there has been a high incidence of power supply failures in that model.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 01:01 PM   #3
jentodd

sorry about the double post....just looking for some answers and hoped it might spark one from one of the topics.

I don't think the internet is an issue if it doesn't work with the phone either. But, the power supply...hmmm, would that make it stall?

thanks
Old 10-03-2013, 01:17 PM   #4
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Good point that if you're getting the same N11 error with a phone connection, it can't be a network/internet problem.

A bad power supply can cause almost any kind of problem. It does seem odd that you get exactly the same repeatable problem and no others, however.
If you pop the case, here is a photo of what "capacitor disease" looks like, which will fail your power supply:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...94#post8750894
Even a slight bulge is a problem.

Have you done a "Clear and Delete All" and started from scratch per the user guide on this tivo? Instructions are also on the tivo support web pages.

and
Old 10-03-2013, 04:11 PM   #5
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
Good point that if you're getting the same N11 error with a phone connection, it can't be a network/internet problem.

A bad power supply can cause almost any kind of problem. It does seem odd that you get exactly the same repeatable problem and no others, however.
If you pop the case, here is a photo of what "capacitor disease" looks like, which will fail your power supply:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...94#post8750894
Even a slight bulge is a problem.

Have you done a "Clear and Delete All" and started from scratch per the user guide on this tivo? Instructions are also on the tivo support web pages.
If they've started GS, and not successfully completed it, I don't think they can access any menus or other screens to do anything else.

They might need to write a new image to the drive.

Which, coming from a different TiVo TSN, will either give them an error 51 (which might actually be better), or start them off in GS.

Although once it gets through taking care of the error 51, it might force them to go through GS again.

So if the real problem with GS is TiVo's servers, they'll just have to keep trying over and over again until it works.

Does anyone remember if GS will let you set a fixed IP address before it tries to connect to the mothership?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 10:27 AM   #6
jentodd

Thanks, Unitron. You are correct that I cannot get any further without completing GS. Yes, I can put in a static IP address. How would I reimage the drive? I have not looked at the capacitors. I hestitate to pop the unit open as I can still return it under EBay's buyer protection. The seller sent it "parcel post" (and it still cost them $23) so I'm wondering if some part of the unit is damage.

Last edited by jentodd : 10-04-2013 at 10:29 AM. Reason: add'l info
Old 10-04-2013, 02:48 PM   #7
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Use reasonable care removing the case and no one could ever tell you did so. If you see even one slightly bulging cap, send it back. If you need a reason, just tell them you could never make it work. Or, fix or replace the power supply.

and
Old 10-04-2013, 03:58 PM   #8
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
Good point that if you're getting the same N11 error with a phone connection, it can't be a network/internet problem...
Considering how many people in the past ran into problems late in the year with S1s not successfully downloading data despite trying both phone and Turbo Cards or Cache Cards, I wouldn't be quite so quick to let TiVo's servers off the hook.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 04:32 PM   #9
sfhub

I am not familiar with the guided setup sequence at the point of the install being describe.

Is it still possible to change the guide provider to something like OTA.

The reason I mention is that some of the problems with guided setup have to do with large guide data and indexing which take a really long time, to the point some processes can timeout or get hit with coincindental network errors.

By reducing the amount of guide data, you might be able to move things along further just to verify the unit otherwise works.
sfhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 07:26 PM   #10
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Considering how many people in the past ran into problems late in the year with S1s not successfully downloading data despite trying both phone and Turbo Cards or Cache Cards, I wouldn't be quite so quick to let TiVo's servers off the hook.
No, I didn't mean to do that. I just meant the quality of internet service entering the premises and/or the local network.

and
Old 10-05-2013, 11:53 AM   #11
jentodd

Progress!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfhub View Post
I am not familiar with the guided setup sequence at the point of the install being describe.

Is it still possible to change the guide provider to something like OTA.

The reason I mention is that some of the problems with guided setup have to do with large guide data and indexing which take a really long time, to the point some processes can timeout or get hit with coincindental network errors.

By reducing the amount of guide data, you might be able to move things along further just to verify the unit otherwise works

PROGRESS! I used "antenna only" and got all the way thru GS and now I have a normal Tivo Central option. Of course, I still need to back up and do it thru cable since that is what I plan to use. Any suggestions on whether to "repeat guided setup" or "clear and delete everything" to do this? Thank you so much. I feel I'm getting closer (well, then to cable cards and tuning adapter but getting somewhere FINALLY!)
Old 10-05-2013, 12:35 PM   #12
sfhub

Quote:
Originally Posted by jentodd View Post
PROGRESS! I used "antenna only" and got all the way thru GS and now I have a normal Tivo Central option. Of course, I still need to back up and do it thru cable since that is what I plan to use. Any suggestions on whether to "repeat guided setup" or "clear and delete everything" to do this? Thank you so much. I feel I'm getting closer (well, then to cable cards and tuning adapter but getting somewhere FINALLY!)
I would choose whichever option is likely to result in the least amount of network activity.

Between RGS and C&DE, my guess is repeat guided setup would result in the least activity, but there might be another option.

Try going to settings->channels->channel list and press Enter. See if it will allow you to select a cable channel provider. If it does, that will probably result in the least amount of network activity.

I'm going to guess N11 is a network error. I am also going to guess the reason you are getting a network error is the setup is taking so long that some network process gets interrupted by an intermittent network issue. Alternatively there might be some snafu at the tivo servers.

Anyway, the general strategy is to work your way up in increments to try and get you to something usable. If you start all the way from scratch, you might end up with the same error as before, which is why I am suggesting avoiding C&DE unless you have to.

Also before you do network/guided setup operations, look under System Information and scroll down to Guide View Cache. Make sure it says "Idle, since..." or "Awaiting first run, since..."

I have found if you start connections to the mothership while guide cache is building, that can make things work really slow.
sfhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:55 AM   #13
jentodd

Smile Success!!!

My Tivo HD is working now....cable card, wireless connection, and all. Changing the source to antenna allowed me thru GS. Then, I took baby steps to connect to cable, then added cable card, then tuning adapter, then wireless. It may have been a Tivo server issue. My success occurred first early on a Saturday...maybe the servers weren't as busy??? Anyway, thanks to all who replied. The suggestions really helped!