TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-26-2013, 10:49 PM   #151
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyny523 View Post
This.

I had picked the guilty person in the first episode, but I really wanted to be wrong...

Great show.
Mysteries and detective stories, for me, are about far more than figuring out who did it. The people, the place, the whole process, the journey that the detective takes while figuring out the puzzle -- that's the thing I like. If the journey is a good one, it usually doesn't matter if I figure it out at the very beginning.

In this case, when DI Hardy was warning DS Miller to trust no one, I got that feeling of "oh boy this could be really ugly if it turns out that her husband did it" but after that I sat back to enjoy the ride, and let them trail Nigel and Susan past me as possible ne'er-do-wells. (It didn't seem likely that Jack Marshall was the guilty party -- that would have been TOO obvious.)

BTW if you go to imdb's Broadchurch page and look on the right hand side under 'related news' there are links to articles, including this one:

'Broadchurch' postmortem: Creator Chris Chibnall on the killer, key scenes, and keeping the secret

I don't want to spoil things too much, but he talks about the American remake (on FOX! gah) and how it will
Spoiler:
not necessarily have the same person as the killer that the UK version has
-- and if you plan to re-watch, he talks about all the subtle clues they put in to set up the ending properly.

So if you're keen to learn the progress of the scripts for Season Two, check it out.
Old 09-26-2013, 11:22 PM   #152
philw1776

Unfortunately BBCA CUT 2 key scenes that the creator touts in the article. Bummer.
philw1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 02:31 AM   #153
JohnB1000

I liked the show but felt the weekly parade of suspects was not great. I prefer things to be a bit more clever than that.
Old 09-27-2013, 03:07 AM   #154
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Broadchurch – A Local Perspective from the blog Pat's Ponderings.

Quote:
I liked the nod to Bridport & West Bay’s annual August torchlight procession, the writer is local so I assume that was deliberate. Every year the town comes together (well, those who can be bothered.. I’ve only done it once) to carry a lit torch – the firey kind not the flashlight kind – from Bridport to West Bay where it is thrown on a big bonfire by the beach literally yards from where it was in the show.
Quote:
West Bay looked fantastic on TV, especially the golden cliffs and the inner harbour. Hopefully it’ll bring some
Spoiler:
grockles to fleece
tourists to welcome.
(spoiler tag substitutes for strikethrough font)
Old 09-27-2013, 07:27 AM   #155
markp99
TakoKichi

Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroyd View Post
BTW if you go to imdb's Broadchurch page and look on the right hand side under 'related news' there are links to articles, including this one:

'Broadchurch' postmortem: Creator Chris Chibnall on the killer, key scenes, and keeping the secret
Thanks! Good read.
markp99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 11:05 PM   #156
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB1000 View Post
I liked the show but felt the weekly parade of suspects was not great. I prefer things to be a bit more clever than that.
Some people are above being pleased.
Old 09-28-2013, 03:32 AM   #157
DLiquid
Progressive User

This was just fantastic. So good. Great acting, great story. I could really feel the emotions of the characters. I want more TV like this.
DLiquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 01:55 PM   #158
paracelsus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLiquid View Post
This was just fantastic. So good. Great acting, great story. I could really feel the emotions of the characters. I want more TV like this.
+1 I really appreciated the sense of community they portrayed in this story - don't know if that will ever transfer to a US based show, unfortunately. Probably a few too many twisted dark back stories for a small town, but I kind of liked being lead around down different possible paths till they resolved the killer. I liked that they really didn't wrap it all up too neatly also - questions sometimes have no answer and I was happy with that ending. Bravo!
paracelsus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 01:58 PM   #159
ThePennyDropped
Now I get it.

I'm probably mis-remembering it, and I can't go back to the episode to check, since it's already gone from my TiVo, but didn't
Spoiler:
the coroner say that Danny was killed by strangulation, and that the killer came at him from behind? (In the final episode we saw that the strangulation was from Danny's front.)

ThePennyDropped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 03:16 PM   #160
markp99
TakoKichi

I don't recall if mentioned from front or behind.
markp99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 06:30 PM   #161
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by paracelsus View Post
+1 I really appreciated the sense of community they portrayed in this story - don't know if that will ever transfer to a US based show, unfortunately. Probably a few too many twisted dark back stories for a small town!
Bah. Nowhere near as dark or twisted as Under the Dome's town.
Old 09-29-2013, 12:40 AM   #162
TSpoonEars
Evil Brit.

The number of dark stories was by no means exaggerated. My small home town in NW England also had plenty.
Old 09-29-2013, 12:49 AM   #163
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD79 View Post
Or any village in Midsomer County.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 04:31 AM   #164
Church AV Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD79 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
Or any village in Midsomer County.
Or Haven. At the rate they are going, there soon won't be anyone there left alive there.

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it. - JOA
Church AV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 01:43 PM   #165
Malcontent
Aka: Smiling Bob

David Tennant to star in US remake

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/10/02/br...e/#more-146391

Quote:
EW has learned that David Tennant, who headlined the U.K. version on ITV that drew more than 10 million viewers for its season finale, will reprise his role as Detective Inspector Alec Hardy for American audiences.
Quote:
The UK version is planning a second season of Broadchurch, but it has not been announced whether Tennant or his co-star Olivia Colman will return with it.

Malcontent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 01:57 PM   #166
NYHeel

I really liked the show but I had one significant issue with the ending. The killer just basically confessed. There was no detective work necessary. Nothing really led Hardy to the killer. The killer turned on Danny's phone so that Hardy would catch him. So the show kind of felt a little like 7 episodes of running in circles and then the killer just said, sorry guys it was me. None of the earlier detective work led to them catching the killer.
NYHeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 02:01 PM   #167
ThePennyDropped
Now I get it.

Too bad that Tennant's going to play the role with an American accent, because the last time I saw him attempt that (in a pilot that wasn't picked up), it was abysmal. I'm a huge Tennant fan, and I will watch pretty much anything with him in it, but boy was his American accent terrible. Maybe they'll hire an accent coach for him before they film.
ThePennyDropped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 02:43 PM   #168
eddyj

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYHeel View Post
I really liked the show but I had one significant issue with the ending. The killer just basically confessed. There was no detective work necessary. Nothing really led Hardy to the killer. The killer turned on Danny's phone so that Hardy would catch him. So the show kind of felt a little like 7 episodes of running in circles and then the killer just said, sorry guys it was me. None of the earlier detective work led to them catching the killer.
My wife had a similar issue with it. Basically, what did Hardy bring into the investigation that advanced it at all? He did nothing that would not have been done by any random policeman. He had no particular skills, or insights or anything.

Not that we didn't enjoy it, mind you, but that was because the storytelling was so well done.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
eddyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 02:44 PM   #169
eddyj

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePennyDropped View Post
Too bad that Tennant's going to play the role with an American accent, because the last time I saw him attempt that (in a pilot that wasn't picked up), it was abysmal. I'm a huge Tennant fan, and I will watch pretty much anything with him in it, but boy was his American accent terrible. Maybe they'll hire an accent coach for him before they film.
Maybe he had to leave England and "run away" to the US after his failure at his previous job, thus explaining his accent.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
eddyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 03:41 PM   #170
philw1776

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYHeel View Post
I hear you, but the detective had recently recovered emails on his partner's son's hard drive to the killer from the victim that led him to believe he knew the killer. Couldn't prove it. In such cases the police typically bring in the suspect for lengthy questioning.
philw1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 09:19 PM   #171
DLiquid
Progressive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by philw1776 View Post
I hear you, but the detective had recently recovered emails on his partner's son's hard drive to the killer from the victim that led him to believe he knew the killer. Couldn't prove it. In such cases the police typically bring in the suspect for lengthy questioning.
Right, and the killer knew the police had asked about the laptop and that it appeared to be missing, and later learned that the police had it. He probably felt that it was just a matter of time before he was caught, and couldn't bear it any longer.

I don't mind that the killer basically gave himself away. I thought that long walk with Hardy tracking the phone was one of the highlights of the series. As mentioned in the article linked to earlier, this scene was meant to mirror the scene in the premier where Danny's father is walking through town and cheerily greeting all of the suspects.
DLiquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 11:36 PM   #172
JohnB1000

They seem to be saying the US show will be an exact remake

I agree NYHeel, I thought it was a great show, but was disappointed with the killer and the lack of police work involved.
Old 10-03-2013, 05:48 AM   #173
cheesesteak
Meh.

I liked Broadchurch and will watch season two on BBCA but the chances of me watching a US reboot of season one are zero.

Savoir-Faire is everywhere!
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote