TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-06-2013, 10:57 AM   #1
bdspilot

Downloading show to iPad

Ok, this seems very awkward. When I download shows from the Roamio to the iPad, I have to leave the app open( I can live with this) but I also have to keep interacting with the app so the iPad doesn't go to sleep. If it does, the down load stops. So basically I have to set and watch the show down load to the iPad. Not very convenient. Is there a better way? How do I keep the iPad from sleeping during downloads?
bdspilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:59 AM   #2
bayern_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdspilot View Post
Ok, this seems very awkward. When I download shows from the Roamio to the iPad, I have to leave the app open( I can live with this) but I also have to keep interacting with the app so the iPad doesn't go to sleep. If it does, the down load stops. So basically I have to set and watch the show down load to the iPad. Not very convenient. Is there a better way? How do I keep the iPad from sleeping during downloads?
Have you tried plugging the iPad into a power source while it's downloading the show?
bayern_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:08 AM   #3
bdspilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayern_fan View Post
Have you tried plugging the iPad into a power source while it's downloading the show?
No, does that work?
bdspilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:15 AM   #4
bayern_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdspilot View Post
No, does that work?
I haven't tried it with a long download, but it did work when I tried getting the Daily Show last night (~500 mb for the 30m recording). It's worth a try!
bayern_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:08 PM   #5
mattack

I swear the app keeps the iPad awake while it's downloading.. at least I sure thought it did..
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 02:49 AM   #6
PLazovich

Go to sheeting on iPad genera,l auto lock, set to " NEVER". Then it won't go to sleep on you.
PLazovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 02:54 AM   #7
Dan203
Super Moderator

It shouldn't fall asleep. The app should keep the iPad awake while it's downloading. It's been a while since I used the download function, but that's how it worked when I used it back in April before I went to a trade show. Perhaps this was a bug that got fixed in today's update?
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 12:23 PM   #8
drugrep

I think what's happening because I thought I had that problem too: When I download shows, it disconnects all the time and when the disconnect happens then the iPad goes to sleep.

I am having a very frustrating time with the iPad app. I go to download a show and every 2 or 3 minutes, I lose connection and have to restart it. It took me over an hour to download Sons of Anarchy last night to my iPad with all the disconnects.
Series 1 (Retired)
drugrep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 01:58 PM   #9
aztivo

The app does NOT keep open during downloads. However you can go into settings and make your iPad never sleep just remember to turn it back to what you want when done
aztivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 02:25 PM   #10
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by aztivo View Post
The app does NOT keep open during downloads. However you can go into settings and make your iPad never sleep just remember to turn it back to what you want when done
That isn't true at all, although you may be experiencing a problem specically with IOS7. The TiVo app is supposed to keep the iPad up and alive.

In the past I used this a lot and it worked as designed, I will test it tonight to see if I have a different experience with IOS7.

Since I have both 4th gen (IOS7) and 1st gen (IOS6) ipads, I can compare prior to and after the IOS7 update. And if it is a problem, we need to file an issue report with TiVo.
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:49 PM   #11
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Ok, I tested this afternoon and it works as it always has. When you are in the TiVo app, it never goes into sleep mode.

From using the remote to downloading a show.

If I were to guess?

You have a jail broken iPad. Am I correct?
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 10-02-2013, 08:55 PM   #12
aztivo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
That isn't true at all, although you may be experiencing a problem specically with IOS7. The TiVo app is supposed to keep the iPad up and alive.

In the past I used this a lot and it worked as designed, I will test it tonight to see if I have a different experience with IOS7.

Since I have both 4th gen (IOS7) and 1st gen (IOS6) ipads, I can compare prior to and after the IOS7 update. And if it is a problem, we need to file an issue report with TiVo.
All right sparkey let's come down for a moment. The OP said here is the issue he is having and I have also had this same issue so I let them know that I too have had this and what I have done to resolve it. Granted I haven't downloaded anything since IOS7. But this is exact ally the same behavior I had just 3 weeks ago
Old 10-02-2013, 08:56 PM   #13
aztivo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
Ok, I tested this afternoon and it works as it always has. When you are in the TiVo app, it never goes into sleep mode.

From using the remote to downloading a show.

If I were to guess?

You have a jail broken iPad. Am I correct?
Nope a series 2 non jb
Old 10-02-2013, 09:01 PM   #14
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by aztivo View Post
Nope a series 2 non jb
I have never had the device go to sleep with the TiVo app open.

Tested on a Gen 1, Gen 4, iPad mini, iPod, iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S - just had them all lined up and running for over 5 minutes.
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 10-02-2013, 09:02 PM   #15
Dan203
Super Moderator

It could be what drugrep mentioned. It could be that the Stream is dropping the connection causing the download to stop which then allows the app to fall asleep. Rather then the app falling asleep causing the download to fail.

If that is the case then check your network for "green" switches. Apparently there can be an issue with maintain streams, both TiVo to Mini and TiVo to iPad, when there is a "green" switch in the mix. TiVo has specifically said they are looking into a fix.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 10:51 PM   #16
Philosofy
Super Duper Member

I'm having a problem downloading shows to my iPad. The download starts out OK, and gives an approximate time of 16 minutes, but then it gradually slows down, so I have 700 MB left and an estimated time of 5 hours. Any advice?
Old 12-15-2014, 12:43 PM   #17
Philosofy
Super Duper Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosofy View Post
I'm having a problem downloading shows to my iPad. The download starts out OK, and gives an approximate time of 16 minutes, but then it gradually slows down, so I have 700 MB left and an estimated time of 5 hours. Any advice?
Darn, wrong forum.