TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-16-2013, 01:56 PM   #31
moyekj

kmttg integration

Since I really like this capability I have an initial implementation in place in kmttg planning to go out in next release. It's basically a GUI around the Perl script(s) posted here. I looked into porting the Perl scripts to Java but that turned out to be too daunting, so I left scripts as Perl called from kmttg.

Since I have Slingbox 350 I'm confident that it works well. I'm looking for volunteers with a Slingbox Pro or Slingbox Pro HD to test out the kmttg integration if there are any. I was not able to get my ancient Slingbox Solo working so that is unsupported.

If you want to volunteer to test this please post here or PM me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 05:53 AM   #32
jcthorne

You talked me into a 350, my Slingbox Pro went to the great recycling bin in the sky. Did not dawn on me to keep it for testing projects. I do look foreword to your kmttg upgrade with the sling support integrated.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:12 AM   #33
jaredmwright

Moykj, let me know and I can test out. I have a Slingbox 350 and Solo and would love to have this capability. Let me know how to download and try it out.

Jared
DirecTV HR22 HDMI & Slingbox Solo
jaredmwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:36 AM   #34
moyekj

OK, for those that want to test it out, a full beta version of kmttg is available here:
http://kmttg.googlecode.com/files/kmttg_v1p0b_beta2.zip

Once installed, go to File-Config-Visual and enable "Show Slingbox capture tab".
Then you will see a "Slingbox" tab in kmttg main window. From there click on the "Help" button which will open a web browser pointing to the Wiki page with instructions on how to set things up.

If you have trouble or think the Wiki is not clear enough please post here so we can work through it.

Old 06-17-2013, 06:19 PM   #35
moyekj

This works outside of home too

I was somewhat surprised to find today that this worked great from outside my home as well! Running kmttg at work I simply entered my WAN IP for Slingbox IP. I guess part of the Slingbox installation must automatically configure port forwarding in the router from WAN side to LAN side since I never did that manually.

So technically all you would need is the admin password and WAN IP to be able to capture other people's Slingbox outputs.

Old 06-17-2013, 07:13 PM   #36
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
I guess part of the Slingbox installation must automatically configure port forwarding in the router from WAN side to LAN side since I never did that manually.
I seem to remember there being a step about this in the PC software setup. IIRC it wasn't able to do it automatically for my particular router and I had to do it manually instead.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:06 AM   #37
moyekj

FYI, for completeness I added optional ability to specify a channel to tune to via slingbox IR blaster before starting a capture. Not something I would use but since capability is there it may be useful for some.

Old 06-23-2013, 10:46 AM   #38
moyekj

This capability is now officially released in kmttg v1p0b release. There were some changes and fixes implemented since the beta version so if using that you should update to the official version.

Old 10-01-2013, 12:04 PM   #39
dearing

Crypt-Tea_JS Availablility

First off, thanks for adding this to KMTTG. I have a SB Pro and am really looking forward to trying out the Slingbox capture.

I'm a bit stuck at the second step, however. It appears Crypt-Tea_JS is now behind ActiveState's "Business Edition" section which requires a license. I'm not a Perl expert, so perhaps someone could direct me to how to install/build that package manually in WinXP (ActivePerl 5.10)?

Any help would be appreciated.
dearing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 12:13 PM   #40
moyekj

You should update your installation of Perl to 5.16 or 5.18 and then you will be able to find that module without any problem. (I also had an older Perl installation before needing that module and couldn't get package manager to find the module).

Old 10-01-2013, 02:03 PM   #41
dearing

Thanks. That did the trick. I am now able to record streams from my Pro-HD, but only on the "Slingbox Pro" setting in the "Slingbox model" drop-down box.

Also, I can view the stream in VLC just fine, but can not open it for editing in VideoReDo TVSuite (I got a trial license to try it out. I had VideoReDo Plus already). However, when I open the .ts file in VRD TVSuite, I get the error message "H264 stream, missing info in the sequence parameter set." Is there a difference in the stream recording between the Pro-HD, Pro, and 300/500 models? HAve you or someone else been able to edit a stream recording from a Pro-HD?

I'm happy to help test out the app if you're still looking for testers.
Thanks.
Old 10-01-2013, 02:52 PM   #42
moyekj

Yes I'm able to use VideoRedo TVSuite to edit the captures. Make sure you are using latest version which you can download here:
http://www.videoredo.net/beta/VRDTVS...-21-2-666a.exe
Also for a trial VRD version I think you have to register with your trial key in order to get full functionality.

Old 10-01-2013, 03:19 PM   #43
dearing

I just downloaded the trial (and registered the trial for 8 days of full features - I will buy only if I can get it to work with these streams). That's what I tried to open it with and got the above error. The version I got was 4.21.3.667, one release newer than the version you mentioned.
If I PM you a link to the .ts file, could you try to open it? I've put in a support question at the VRD forum also.

Edit: I've got too few posts to PM you. If you'd like to try the file, maybe PM me an email address or some other method. Or maybe the VRD folks will have a solution.

Last edited by dearing : 10-01-2013 at 03:50 PM.
Old 10-01-2013, 03:46 PM   #44
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by dearing View Post
If I PM you a link to the .ts file, could you try to open it?
OK. Note that I'm capturing from Slingbox 350 which I know puts out H.264 for video. It's possible your Pro is not H.264 for video which could be the problem.

Old 10-01-2013, 03:54 PM   #45
dearing

I can't PM you yet due to forum rules (too pew posts), but VLC shows the Codec is

H264 - MPEG-4 AVC (part 10) (h264) for video and
A52 Audio (aka AC3) (a52) for Audio

It also shows a SlingBox stream as Program1

Here's a Google Drive link. The file is 11MB:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_bR...it?usp=sharing
Old 10-01-2013, 04:14 PM   #46
moyekj

It certainly seems like VRD should be able to open it but I had same trouble you posted trying to open it. Comparing it to another file I have the only real difference that stands out is AC3 audio sampling rate is 32KHz in your capture. I'll try and re-encode audio of your capture with 48KHz sampling rate using ffmpeg to see if that makes any difference...
I'd be curious to see what VRD folks say about it...

Old 10-01-2013, 04:29 PM   #47
moyekj

Re-encoding audio to 48KHz sampling rate made no difference. I tried re-encoding video to H.264 and copying audio using ffmpeg and resulting sample could then be edited by VRD. So looks like VRD doesn't like something with the original H.264 video of the capture. Seems to me like possibly a VRD bug?

Old 10-01-2013, 05:07 PM   #48
Dan203
Super Moderator

I explained this over on our forums, but here is is again for posterity...

VideoReDo requires a frame rate to open a video. TS files do not have anywhere to store the frame rate at the container level which means we require it to be in the SPS NAL of the H.264 stream. It appears that these files are missing the frame rate in the SPS. With MP4/MKV files there is a place to store the frame rate at the container level, so in that case if we notice the frame rate missing from the SPS we just pick it up from the container instead. With TS that's not an option.

Most player programs don't care about the frame rate because they simply look at the time stamps for the individual frames and use those for playback. In VRD we need a frame rate for our syncing and recoding routines to work so we reject files that don't have one. This is the same reason we don't currently support variable frame rate video.

If you could make KMTTG remux to MP4/MKV and set the frame rate at the container level then those files would open. Although if you then save to TS the resulting file would lose the frame rate and you'd never be able to open it in VRD again.
Old 10-01-2013, 05:23 PM   #49
moyekj

OK, based on Dan's post I took the sample and simply remuxed to mkv container using ffmpeg and the resulting file opens fine in VRD. You can use following encoding profile in kmttg to do it:

ff_mkv_remux.enc
Code:
<description>
Remux to matroska container for Slingbox captures for VideoRedo

<command>
FFMPEG -y -i INPUT -vcodec copy -acodec copy -f matroska OUTPUT

<extension>
mkv
Note that kmttg is already transcoding audio to AC3 during the capture using ffmpeg, so it would be trivial to write out to mkv instead of ts container. I'll have to think about perhaps using an encoding profile instead of hard coding so that user has option to adjust if desired.

Old 10-01-2013, 06:12 PM   #50
dearing

Yes, I posted similar results at the VRD forum:

"I used the tool "MKVToolNix", which is just a GUI wrapper for mkvmerge, among other things, and told it to force the framerate to 29.97 (well, 30000/1001p) and the .mkv file it created was openable/editable in VRD."

I'm fine with using ffmpeg instead of mkvmerge to do the mkv container conversion. I'll try the encoding profile and let you know.
Thanks again!
Old 10-01-2013, 06:21 PM   #51
Dan203
Super Moderator

I looking at a possible way to fix this in VRD without having to remux. I'll report back if it works.
Old 10-01-2013, 06:58 PM   #52
moyekj

For next release kmttg release I've added "Video container to use" option to Slingbox GUI with choice of mpegts or matroska. This was easier than giving full control over how to transcode.

Old 10-01-2013, 07:01 PM   #53
dearing

That makes sense. However, I should still be able to encode Sling recordings after the recording is finished using the same encoding profile(s) I use for my TiVo recordings, right? Just using the "Files" tab and my encoding profile of choice?

Last edited by dearing : 10-01-2013 at 07:09 PM.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:29 PM   #54
Dan203
Super Moderator

I got it working. I added some code that can calculate a frame rate based on the time stamps of the individual frames if neither an SPS or container frame rate exists. I'll try to sneak it into the next beta.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:31 PM   #55
dearing

Good to know. I look forward to trying it out.
Old 10-01-2013, 11:08 PM   #56
moyekj

Quote:
That makes sense. However, I should still be able to encode Sling recordings after the recording is finished using the same encoding profile(s) I use for my TiVo recordings, right? Just using the "Files" tab and my encoding profile of choice?
Yes. Note that most of the encoding profiles assume your starting point is mpeg2 however. Depending on your target device it's possible you can leave the H.264 video alone though instead of re-encoding to H.264 which would save a lot of time and preserve better video quality. So it may be worthwhile making a custom profile that perhaps uses "-vcodec copy" and just re-encodes audio and uses a different container.

Old 10-02-2013, 08:50 AM   #57
dearing

The devices I'd want them to play on (for now) would be Android (MX Player), PS3 and StreamBaby back to the TiVo. I will try the H264 in MKV Container not re-encoded on all 3 and see if I have any problems.
Old 10-02-2013, 05:03 PM   #58
dearing

I noticed today the "Tune to channel" option at the bottom of the Slingbox tab. Would it be possible to issue a different command to the Slingbox's source device (TiVo, DVR, etc). For example, I might cue up the video I want to capture and pause it, and then would want the Slingbox capture to send the play/pause button command when it starts capturing. Otherwise I can use my regular remote control, but it would be nice to not have to.
Thanks again for the great tool and new features!
Old 10-02-2013, 05:14 PM   #59
moyekj

Quote:
I noticed today the "Tune to channel" option at the bottom of the Slingbox tab. Would it be possible to issue a different command to the Slingbox's source device (TiVo, DVR, etc). For example, I might cue up the video I want to capture and pause it, and then would want the Slingbox capture to send the play/pause button command when it starts capturing. Otherwise I can use my regular remote control, but it would be nice to not have to.
Thanks again for the great tool and new features!
If you have a series 3 or later TiVo you are capturing from you can always use the kmttg Remote to do it. I know it's not automated like you were looking for but perhaps a little more convenient.

Old 10-03-2013, 08:19 AM   #60
dearing

That is a good idea, and certainly use that to control my Premiere. Unfortunately that's not the only device attached to the Slingbox that I want to record from. How does the "Tune to channel" message work using the Perl script? Is it limited to channel commands?