TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-01-2013, 03:11 PM   #1
Bob_Newhart
My Custom User Title

MacGyver

I'd never watched a single episode of this show until last night. It's on Amazon Prime so figured I'd give it a whirl.

heh heh

Had to be some of the most cringe-worthy bad acting & writing I've ever witnessed. This episode had Mac pulling a "sting" on the bad guy (who wore all white) after he scams all of Mac's friend's money. And they had this blonde chick with Tootsie glasses who had to be one of the worst actresses I've ever seen. And the bad guy kept going along with the scam and believing every word. Never questioning a thing. silly

Anybody here ever watch and like this show?
Bob_Newhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 03:12 PM   #2
smbaker

The 80s were a wonderful time.

I loved MacGyver. The opening music is going through my head right now. Sometimes TV just has to be fun, and damn the realism. You could pick up little tidbits of engineering inspiration from the show.
smbaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 03:18 PM   #3
doom1701
I blue myself!

MacGyver was a great show. I'll still watch it occasionally on streaming. It is certainly very, very 80's.
Old 10-01-2013, 03:19 PM   #4
smbaker

Now I want to watch some A-Team and Riptide too.
smbaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 03:23 PM   #5
Bob_Newhart
My Custom User Title

I was actually hoping this would have more MacGyverisms in it. Maybe I'll try another ep and just make sure the blonde girl's not in it. I didn't think the theme song was all that. Certainly no Barney Miller.
Old 10-01-2013, 03:26 PM   #6
doom1701
I blue myself!

What episode (season, ep #) was it? The show didn't find it's footing for a few episodes, and then it went into high gear in season 3 or 4.
Old 10-01-2013, 03:38 PM   #7
Bob_Newhart
My Custom User Title

Season 2 - "Twice Stung"
Old 10-01-2013, 04:11 PM   #8
Bob_Newhart
My Custom User Title

According to wikipedia, this was the episode that introduced the word "MacGyverism". Said by that bad acting blonde.
Old 10-01-2013, 04:52 PM   #9
justen_m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_Newhart View Post
Watched it and loved it when it originally aired. I think I was in junior high school. I've caught some repeats recently. It hasn't aged well. It's bad. Reminds me of shows like The A-Team, Knight Rider, Dukes of Hazard, etc. Loved those too, but they are bad.
justen_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 05:32 PM   #10
Fool Me Twice
<<<<>>>>>>>>>>

Lived for it as a kid. Found them unwatchable years later. It fails as a prime time adventure drama, but is okay if you think of it as an afternoon kids show. My nephew loves it.

Henry Winkler was one of the producers, and I think one of the people who slowly emasculated Mac. By the end of the series Mac was working with underprivileged street kids (handsome young blacks like Cuba Gooding Jr.) and he wasn't allowed to blow things up.

If it was made more recently it would look like Burn Notice (nearly as silly, but with higher production values and a somewhat higher body count).

Or maybe like this:

MacGyver & The New Citan - Full / seamless merge [HD / HQ] - English
You need to upgrade your Flash Player

Actually that's not a bad setup for a New Adventures of Old MacGyver type show. Grumpy retired Mac getting pulled back into black bag work.

Wikipedia says a movie is in the works. It will likely suck unless they turn it over to new talent.
Fool Me Twice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 05:37 PM   #11
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fool Me Twice View Post
Henry Winkler was one of the producers, and I think one of the people who slowly emasculated Mac. By the end of the series Mac was working with underprivileged street kids (handsome young blacks like Cuba Gooding Jr.) and he wasn't allowed to blow things up.
I didn't notice a big change as the seasons progressed. MacGyver was always big on non-violent methods, at least if you define that as people do not get killed or maimed. He does not mind an explosion if no one is killed, and he is not above punching people (after pulling their coats down onto their arms)...although he always seemed to use a standard punch and then shake his knuckles in pain...you'd think he would have learned to use a hammer punch or karate chop instead, to save his knuckles.

He always seemed undersexed, though. Lots of women that he saved seemed enamored of him, but he rarely slept with them. Teri Hatcher's character kept showing up, and I don't think he ever slept with her, either.
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 06:30 PM   #12
justen_m

One big thing with MacGyver was "no guns." Likewise, I don't remember anybody ever dying. His explosions were diversions, blowing up walls to escape, etc. Reminiscent of the GI Joe cartoon of the same era. Blow up a plane? There was always a parachute showing the pilot making it to safety. MacGyver really was about using brains to solve problems without hurting people. I don't recall this changing over the years, but, admittedly, this was a long time ago.

I like the comment comparing MacGyver to Burn Notice. I think there is a definite parallel. Michael Weston (on Burn Notice) goes out of his way to avoid killing. Sometimes it happens but he tries to avoid it, even when letting Fi blow up the baddies would be the easiest solution.

The Jack Dalton character (Bruce McGill) was pretty cool. A bush pilot. Like a character taken out of an Indian Jones movie.
justen_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 06:58 PM   #13
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_Newhart View Post

I watched an episode (or parts of) here and there mostly because I had friends that watched it regularly. Even though it was the type of show I'd normally watch, I just didn't really care for it.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:34 AM   #14
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

IIRC there were ads for the show running on USA several years ago showing Mac tinkering with something. The voiceover said "what he's doing? what's he doing with that thing?" And the rest of the ad was the name of the show and when it was airing. Funny and catchy.

I almost started watching it, but I decided that if I wanted an RDA fix I would be better off with Stargate SG-1.

Anyway, Bob_Newhart, just wanted to let you know I'll be hearing "MacGuyver -- what's he doing? what's he doing with that thing?" in my head all day long. Thanks -- I think.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:30 AM   #15
RGM1138
I wanna Rock

I have bad memories of this show because ABC used to run it in late night years ago, and I was working at the local affiliate and had to watch it because we ran the local commercial breaks. I wasn't a big fan to begin with, then having to sit through the reruns definitely put the nail in the coffin.

There were a lot of other series that I felt the same way about.

(I had Fun, fun, fun 'til Katrina took my Ti-Vos away)

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

Dean Vernon Wormer
Faber College
RGM1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:54 AM   #16
uncdrew
Annie 2.0

Give that man a ball point pen, half bag of fertilizer and a rubber band and he can do anything!
uncdrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 01:27 PM   #17
cannonz

Never watched but remember the mullet.
cannonz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 02:47 PM   #18
WhiskeyTango

HnhtqwYzvYM

WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 03:24 PM   #19
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by justen_m View Post
One big thing with MacGyver was "no guns." Likewise, I don't remember anybody ever dying. His explosions were diversions, blowing up walls to escape, etc. Reminiscent of the GI Joe cartoon of the same era. Blow up a plane? There was always a parachute showing the pilot making it to safety. MacGyver really was about using brains to solve problems without hurting people. I don't recall this changing over the years, but, admittedly, this was a long time ago.

I like the comment comparing MacGyver to Burn Notice. I think there is a definite parallel. Michael Weston (on Burn Notice) goes out of his way to avoid killing. Sometimes it happens but he tries to avoid it, even when letting Fi blow up the baddies would be the easiest solution.

The Jack Dalton character (Bruce McGill) was pretty cool. A bush pilot. Like a character taken out of an Indian Jones movie.
Didn't he shoot an assult rifle in the first episode?

MacGyver had started when I was in college. My brother always talked about it and really liked it but I didn't start watching MacGyver until the last two or three seasons. So I caught up with the first four or five seasons by recording around 5 to 10 epsiodes a week that aired on cable. Luckily they were shown in the order they aired.

I really enjoyed it when I was able to binge watch them every weekend from my VCR recordings. It became my favorite show at the time.

i liked the earlier shows better than th latter ones. At some point they ended the voice overs(or most of it) they had in each epsiode. The show was certainly very different in the last few seasons than it was in the first few.

i even bought some MacGyver soundtrack CD they had back then. But then I did that for a bunch of shows in the late 80's and 90's.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt : 10-02-2013 at 03:36 PM.
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 03:55 PM   #20
gweempose

I never cared for MacGyver, but I thought RDA was great on Stargate SG-1. The guy has had a hell of a career. Between those two shows, he was in well over 300 episodes.
(3) Minis

gweempose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 04:05 PM   #21
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweempose View Post
I never cared for MacGyver, but I thought RDA was great on Stargate SG-1. The guy has had a hell of a career. Between those two shows, he was in well over 300 episodes.
That was another show I didn't start watching until Season 5. The first episode I was going to watch was "Wormholextreme". But when I found out it was kind of a recap episode I skipped it and started watching the next one. I bought CDs(yes CDs) on ebay of the first five seasons and binge watched them and fell in love with the show.

Around the time the "wormholextreme" epsiode first aired, I needed to create a new username for a online game I had started playing on the PC. I couldn't think of anything so I chose WormholeXtreme, and have been using it ever since for any games I play and also got it for PSN and XBL.
Prior to that I always used aaronwt for any online games I played in 2000/2001 and the late 90's.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:39 PM   #22
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Priceless.

Last edited by murgatroyd : 10-02-2013 at 08:44 PM.
murgatroyd is offline   Reply With Quote