TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-01-2013, 01:58 PM   #1
matt.macgibbon

Netflix causing TivoReboot

When i watch netflix, it reboots the tivo occasionally. i never had a premiere, but this has happened 3 times in the last 2 days. i have it hard wired.

I guess this was an issue with the premiere - but i never saw this so much on the XL (Series 3)...

Tivo themselves dont seem to know much about this. Thinking of returning box to BestBUY. Im pretty upset at Tivo for this. Netflix crashing should not cause a full box reboot. This is a pretty crappy app setup.
matt.macgibbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 03:00 PM   #2
markp99
TakoKichi

Not seeing any reboots while watching Netflix on my Roamio Plus.
markp99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 04:46 PM   #3
matt.macgibbon

i have a pro... its followed by a v301 error, which ive read is about the internet not being available to the app. what network config are you using?
matt.macgibbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 04:48 PM   #4
moyekj

Is your Roamio Pro hooked up to a "green" switch by any chance? There is currently a bug with Roamio software connecting to some green switches where you get intermittent network problems that TiVo is working on a fix for. Some folks have worked around it by connecting to a non-green switch for now.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 04:49 PM   #5
kbmb

Did you get the update on 9/11?
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=508957

That was supposed to fix Netflix reboots.

Note, there was another update after that as well:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=509503

-Kevin
kbmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 05:17 PM   #6
Dan203
Super Moderator

I've been using Netflix on my Pro a LOT and never seen it reboot.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:47 AM   #7
bbrown9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmb View Post
Did you get the update on 9/11?
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=508957

That was supposed to fix Netflix reboots.

Note, there was another update after that as well:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=509503

-Kevin
I have both of those updates and I have seen 2 reboots when exiting Netflix since the updates were installed. I also had one while a TV episode was playing on Netflix. I fell asleep and the Tivo woke me up when it played the intro video after rebooting. I checked to see if the episode had finished and it had not. It had rebooted in the middle of it.
bbrown9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 01:59 AM   #8
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
I've been using Netflix on my Pro a LOT and never seen it reboot.
I get Netflix on my Smart HDTV but tried it out on the Roamio + and had no problems, the picture looked as good, the TiVo told me the resolution was 1080p /24, with the Sharp HDTV I could not find any way to tell the resolution, on normal programs I can push the TVs display button and see what resolution is coming in, but not with Netflix.

Old 10-05-2013, 09:37 PM   #9
bbrown9

It rebooted on me twice tonight while watching Netflix. This is really annoying. I have the latest version 20.3.6.2-USA-6-840 of the software.
Old 10-05-2013, 10:18 PM   #10
rainwater

If you lose internet connection momentarily, you will most likely get a reboot. AFAIK, there is no way around this currently.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 10:52 PM   #11
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater View Post
If you lose internet connection momentarily, you will most likely get a reboot. AFAIK, there is no way around this currently.
I guess that would explain why I've not encountered a reboot during the dozens of times I've used Netflix on my Roamio Pro. Since changing my switch to a non-green one I have never lost connectivity.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 11:04 PM   #12
bbrown9

I can't think of a time when my TiVo lost connectivity. Netflix was streaming without a problem and then boom! The Tivo rebooted.

It's hardwired and I don't believe I have a "green" switch. It's a Linksys something - I'll have to look up the model to be sure I guess.
Old 10-06-2013, 06:09 PM   #13
bbrown9

My switch is a Linksys SD2005 - not a green switch. Even if it was, I would think streaming HD video would keep the link busy enough to keep the switch from powering it down.
Old 10-06-2013, 09:01 PM   #14
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrown9 View Post
I can't think of a time when my TiVo lost connectivity. Netflix was streaming without a problem and then boom! The Tivo rebooted.
If the Netflix servers become unreachable during streaming, it will reboot your box. It doesn't mean the internet goes down for a long period of time, only for a few seconds. The Netflix app needs to better handle this.
Old 10-07-2013, 12:25 PM   #15
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
My switch is a Linksys SD2005 - not a green switch. Even if it was, I would think streaming HD video would keep the link busy enough to keep the switch from powering it down.
When I had my Roamio connected to a green switch, it could lose connectivity for a few seconds at any time.
Old 10-07-2013, 01:04 PM   #16
DeltaOne
Mount Airy, MD

I'm a new TiVo Roamio + 2 Mini owner, using a Netgear GS105 green switch and I haven't had any problems. The switch has been in place for four days -- but I haven't noticed a problem yet.
DeltaOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 02:24 PM   #17
lessd

Quote:
I have watched about 10 hours of Netflix without any re-boot than last night my first TiVo re-boot, loss of internet connection you think is causing this? I wonder if my router log would show that I had a loss of internet service, I will have to check that,. When using my Smart HDTV I never had any problems with Netflix, what would happen if my internet went down for a short time (when watching Netflix) with the HDTV, a TV re-boot ??

Old 10-07-2013, 07:17 PM   #18
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
When using my Smart HDTV I never had any problems with Netflix, what would happen if my internet went down for a short time (when watching Netflix) with the HDTV, a TV re-boot ??
No, it usually will just drop back to the main Netflix screen. But there is currently a bug in the Netflix app for TiVo.
Old 10-07-2013, 11:53 PM   #19
lessd

Quote:
No, it usually will just drop back to the main Netflix screen. But there is currently a bug in the Netflix app for TiVo.
OH, so that is what the TiVo should do, not re-boot. I hope they fix the bug soon as I like the TiVo Netflix better than the HDTVs.

Old 10-08-2013, 05:07 AM   #20
rcase13

My 4 tuner Roamio rebooted last night while watching Netflix. I don't have green switches and no internet issues. I also have the latest software.
rcase13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 07:54 AM   #21
bbrown9

Quote:
That's not what I'm seeing. My whole TiVo reboots and if I'm recording something at the time, the recording gets split in two with a few minutes missing.
Old 10-08-2013, 08:20 AM   #22
bbrown9

I sent TiVo Margret an email directing her to this thread and to another one on the TiVo forums. Hopefully they will start to look at this. I think I'd rather deal with the Netflix app on my Premiere - at least it won't mess up what I'm recording. Thankfully I haven't put it up for sale yet.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:22 AM   #23
rainwater

Quote:
That's not what I'm seeing. My whole TiVo reboots and if I'm recording something at the time, the recording gets split in two with a few minutes missing.
Yes, I said that is what other clients do and what the TiVo Netflix app should be doing.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:48 PM   #24
Tankman

I'm in day two of owning a Roamio Plus and have gotten one reboot each day. They occurred while watching a recorded show and the other time when I was searching for shows. No Netflix, no streaming involved. Just software crashing and rebooting. I've owned several TiVos and this is the first to have this problem.
Tankman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:20 PM   #25
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tankman View Post
I'm in day two of owning a Roamio Plus and have gotten one reboot each day. They occurred while watching a recorded show and the other time when I was searching for shows. No Netflix, no streaming involved. Just software crashing and rebooting. I've owned several TiVos and this is the first to have this problem.
Maybe the update today will help? My Roamio Pro and two Minis all downloaded an update this evening.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:30 PM   #26
Andrel

Had 3 reboot in the last 2 days while watching Netflix. Have the new update. Anyone else still having the issue?
Andrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 08:42 PM   #27
drebbe
Carbon Blob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrel View Post
Had 3 reboot in the last 2 days while watching Netflix. Have the new update. Anyone else still having the issue?
Yep.
drebbe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 09:23 PM   #28
keithkemp

I had my Roamio reboot when I was in NetFlix and hit the tivo button to go back to the main screen.
keithkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 11:26 PM   #29
bbrown9

TiVoMargret told me that my logs showed "instability" and that they are working with Netflix to resolve it and that it is a high priority issue. I'm hoping that since this info came from Margret that it means something. I heard something similar from other TiVo support people about the Netflix issues on the Premiere (and closed my support request without explanation).
Old 10-14-2013, 11:41 PM   #30
Andrel

Quote:
TiVoMargret told me that my logs showed "instability" and that they are working with Netflix to resolve it and that it is a high priority issue.
Thank you all. Hopefully it will be fixed in the next update (or earlier). It is annoying to have a reboot while it is recording a show.
Andrel is offline   Reply With Quote