TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-01-2013, 11:26 AM   #1
dolphin

Good cable signal, but gray screen

My TivoHD is showing only gray/white screen output when on live TV. It is not recording anything as well. It's almost like it is not connected to the cable input. But, using Settings>Cable>Signal Strength shows that there is plenty of input strength, typically 95+.

Now Playing is fine, so Tivo does output (HDMI) to the screen.

I've tried a power cycle a couple of times. I've tried pulling and reseating the m-cablecard. My cable line comes in to the house, splits to two. The other line is connected to a same-model TivoHD and it is doing just fine.

Any suggestions to look for in debug??
dolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 12:31 PM   #2
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphin View Post
My TivoHD is showing only gray/white screen output when on live TV. It is not recording anything as well. It's almost like it is not connected to the cable input. But, using Settings>Cable>Signal Strength shows that there is plenty of input strength, typically 95+.

Now Playing is fine, so Tivo does output (HDMI) to the screen.

I've tried a power cycle a couple of times. I've tried pulling and reseating the m-cablecard. My cable line comes in to the house, splits to two. The other line is connected to a same-model TivoHD and it is doing just fine.

Any suggestions to look for in debug??
Look at the DVR diagnostics (or something like that) that shows what each tuner is trying to tune to, which frequency, what modulation scheme, etc., and it also shows what's going on with the cable cards if you have them.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 01:11 PM   #3
dolphin

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Look at the DVR diagnostics (or something like that) that shows what each tuner is trying to tune to, which frequency, what modulation scheme, etc., and it also shows what's going on with the cable cards if you have them.
The DVR diagnostics from working to non-working TiVo units appear to be the same, EXCEPT for two line items called "RS Connected" and "RS Unconnected". For the working unit, these stay at "0" quite a bit and occassionally increment up, adding a 100 or so. The non-working unit on the other hand, is at tens of thousands.

No idea what RS connected is.

Any ideas?
Old 10-01-2013, 02:05 PM   #4
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphin View Post
The DVR diagnostics from working to non-working TiVo units appear to be the same, EXCEPT for two line items called "RS Connected" and "RS Unconnected". For the working unit, these stay at "0" quite a bit and occassionally increment up, adding a 100 or so. The non-working unit on the other hand, is at tens of thousands.

No idea what RS connected is.

Any ideas?
I'm pretty sure it's "corrected", and not "connected".

Well, the RS is Reed–Solomon

(that's 2 separate guys, not uconn math professor Reed Solomon )

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reed%E2...ror_correction

Here's a TCF'er's take on it:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...18#post7462618

and here's a thread with a good explanation about 4 or 5 comments down:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=370374

Personally, I think the HDs have an unadmitted cable tuner demodulating and processing problem.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 02:43 PM   #5
dolphin

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
I'm pretty sure it's "corrected", and not "connected".
Yes, you are right. Is corrected and uncorrected. I stand corrected.

So I read the other TCF posts that you recommended, and reviewed the DVR diagnostics.

On the good DVR, I have SNR=35, and the occasional uncorrected.

On the non-working DVR, when tuned to lower channels (2-28 or so), the signal strength ranges from 0-50, with SNR= about 28. Lots of uncorrected. That tells me that there is a problem.

Then, I set one tuner at channel 44 and another at channel 43. Signal strength in the mid-90s for both. SNR=35 solid. No uncorrected (i.e., =0).

So, for the non-working DVR, I would expect those upper channels to be OK. just not the lower channels.

I suppose the next thing to do is to physically swap the DVRs. Then, I should be able to figure out if it is the hardware or the coax.
Old 10-01-2013, 04:52 PM   #6
dlfl
Cranky old novice

In DVR Diagnostics what do the "gray" channels have for:
Signal Lock
Program Lock
PCR PID
Audio PID
Video PID

You should have "Yes" for the top two and a number for the bottom three. Are you using a Tuning Adapter?

Also, if a CableCARD isn't authorized for a channel, you can have all good numbers in DVR Diagnostics but still no video because the decryption to get that channel isn't authorized.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 05:50 PM   #7
dolphin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
In DVR Diagnostics what do the "gray" channels have for:
Signal Lock
Program Lock
PCR PID
Audio PID
Video PID

You should have "Yes" for the top two and a number for the bottom three. Are you using a Tuning Adapter?

Also, if a CableCARD isn't authorized for a channel, you can have all good numbers in DVR Diagnostics but still no video because the decryption to get that channel isn't authorized.
Signal Lock and Program Lock for both tuners is YES. For the PIDs:
PCR PID 0x1242
Audio PID 0x1243
Video PID 0x1242