TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-01-2013, 06:13 AM   #1
tmeek

Replace S3 External Drive with Larger One

I have an S3 with an external 1T drive. I want to replace the 1T drive with a 3T drive. I want to transfer all existing programs from the 1T drive to the 3T drive. How to do?
tmeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 08:10 AM   #2
jrtroo
User

You cannot do this. Check out the upgrade center, preferred upgrade is a single internal drive to reduce possible points of failure. Most older boxes can use a max of 2TB of capacity through a self install.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:36 AM   #3
dlfl
Cranky old novice

And ... your best long term strategy is to have just one (large) internal drive. Using an external drive gives you no reliability advantage since each recording is split between internal and external drives. If either one fails, you lose all recordings. It actually decreases reliability.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:38 AM   #4
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmeek View Post
I have an S3 with an external 1T drive. I want to replace the 1T drive with a 3T drive. I want to transfer all existing programs from the 1T drive to the 3T drive. How to do?
If you mean the original S3 (TCD648250) with the clock on the front, you have some external drive flexibility, but that model and the other 2 S3s, the HD (TCD652160) and HD XL (TCD658000) cannot work with drives, internal or external, larger than 2TB.

(Okay, technically I think it's 2TB in binary units and 2.2TB in decimal units, but the next larger size available is a 2.5TB and that's too big, i.e., requires too large a binary number to number everything in it.)

The S3 HD and HD XL, of course, can only use drives on the very short list of approved WD models that the TiVo will check against when you hook up an external, and there are only 500GB drives and 1TB drives on that list.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote