TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-23-2013, 11:40 PM   #1
gigaguy

Newbie compares Tivo Premiere to Sony and Cableco Boxes

Just wanted to share my TiVO experience. Just got a basic Premiere 2 weeks ago. I have used the Sony DHG-HDDxxx DVRs for 7-8 years, had several, still have 2 of them. As most know the Sonys no longer have the free program guide and are not so smart anymore.

TWC box- clunky, limited, but functional. I've rented them briefly to get more HD channels than the Sonys did, but could never stand them for more than a month and send them back.

Sony DHG- Were my dream machines for my needs. I was a low channel count user, and enjoyed OTA HD. Wonderful customizable playback features, inc. user set and named index marks, 4 FF speeds, lots of adjustments on playback. 90 min buffer. Loved them. Limited channels, one tuner. (That's why I had several). Free to use. Cheap to own and use once Sony dropped them in first year of prod. Mine are 8 years old and still record beautifully but the reliance on TVGuide only for clock and guide was a major negative.

TiVo Premiere. Pretty nice overall. I don't need TiVo for the web media, so that really clutters up the screen and OS for me. (yes I turned a lot of it off). Slow os, too many damm pages and clicks. jeez. Sony was slow but more efficient and had better remote design. Only 30 min buffer is weak. Playback controls weaker than the Sony, but it all mostly works fine. Search etc. is better than the more limited Sony, but Sony was from 2005. I like the Premiere tho, (I know there a more featured models) and anything to avoid rental boxes is a plus already. I'm thinking the Roamio is a good step up from the Premiere, but for a test machine the Premiere is good. I'd give it a B+.
The slide remote is great, mostly for the BT, don't care about the KB. I like the small size, but it is too slippery, and a little heavy.
thanks.

Last edited by gigaguy : 09-23-2013 at 11:45 PM.
gigaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 12:10 PM   #2
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Sooo... any reason why you got the slow Premiere instead of the latest Roamios? You'd probably have a much higher opinion of the Tivo.

I agree that the Slide's a great remote except for the slickness and inability to stay upright in a lot of locations.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:50 AM   #3
gigaguy

Premiere was a Tivo tester. I was unsure of set up, tuning adapters, CCs, cableco, my condo coax wiring, and trusting TWC service and support, etc. and the premiere was free after I sold the slide remote which are worth more than the Premiere now. (til the new slide comes out). I did buy another slide tho cheaper.

If I go longterm I'd have to consider a Roamio and lifetime but for now, my viewing needs are pretty basic, I lived with a few Sony 1-tuners with unencrypted channels for many years. but a bigger hard drive and 4 tuners would be a nice upgrade in the future. I would like a Mini on the 2nd TV.

The web media and streaming doesn't interest me much for Tivo. I wish using a Mac with Tivo was as easy as PC? still learning.

Last edited by gigaguy : 09-25-2013 at 10:55 AM.
Old 09-29-2013, 11:35 AM   #4
PGHammer

Premiere v. Roamio

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
Sooo... any reason why you got the slow Premiere instead of the latest Roamios? You'd probably have a much higher opinion of the Tivo.

I agree that the Slide's a great remote except for the slickness and inability to stay upright in a lot of locations.
If you are going to use a Tivo as a straight STB (as opposed to a DVR), the Premiere does have a price advantage compared to a Roamio; where a Roamio has an advantage (in this use scenario) is the built-in wireless connectivity - with a Premiere, you have to purchase a separate wireless adapter. (That will likely be why I will be replacing my Premiere with a Roamio; not because I hate the Premiere, which I don't.)
PGHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:05 PM   #5
gigaguy

Neither of those points apply for me.
STB - no, I got Tivo to use as a DVR.
Wireless - no, my Premiere is via ethernet. My Mac, router, TV as monitor, Tivo, are all in the same AV cabinet. no need for wireless to TiVo. I'd never get a 2nd TiVo, I would go for a Mini.

More tuners and bigger drives are the main Roamio +'s for me but I'm debating a used XL4 vs Roamio, ebay XL4s are getting close to $100+ now.