TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Suggestion Avenue
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-26-2013, 06:44 AM   #1
rcase13

Folders please!!

I see threads from 2006 asking for this. It seems obvious. Please allow us to have folders! Then I could put my sons stuff in his folders and wife's stuff in her folders. It would make me a better husband!!
rcase13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 05:51 PM   #2
yokito

+1
Old 09-26-2013, 06:00 PM   #3
Dan203
Super Moderator

By folders I assume you mean user profiles? If so +1 for me as well.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 09:49 AM   #4
csell

How would you implement this? How would Tivo know what show goes in what folder? Would you have to specify where to place it with every show you setup to record or would it just be on season passes? Just curious how you see this working. But for the record, I do like the idea.
csell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 02:19 PM   #5
Dan203
Super Moderator

My vision is that when you create a new recording or SP one of the options would be to select which user the recording was for, with the default being an "All" option that would put it in everyone's list. If multiple users request the same recording then they would each see the recording in their list, but when they deleted it it would only be deleted from their list. The show would only actually be deleted if all users that requested it delete it or it's deleted from the "All" folder. Priorities and tuner allocation could be a bit trickier, but with all TiVos having 4-6 tuners now that may not actually be much of a concern. And perhaps they could prevent kids from messing with priorities by password protecting the season pass manager via parental controls.
Old 09-27-2013, 02:57 PM   #6
late for dinner
Always Hungry!

I'd like it if you could tag shows as to who has watched them
Old 09-27-2013, 05:27 PM   #7
HomeUser

Do what I did and get a second DVR for the other user. Helps with targeted suggestions also.
Old 09-27-2013, 07:49 PM   #8
yokito

Quote:
Originally Posted by csell View Post
How would you implement this? How would Tivo know what show goes in what folder? Would you have to specify where to place it with every show you setup to record or would it just be on season passes? Just curious how you see this working. But for the record, I do like the idea.
For starters a simply 'Archived' flag would go a long way - my TiVo is only 25% full and I'm already dreading all the scrolling (I'm coming from a system with much better list management).

Add folders (or profiles) - in my book that would solve the issue that TiVo has with the list of recordings. It's a luxury problem, though, so I'm not holding my breath.
Old 09-29-2013, 08:14 AM   #9
aaronwt
HD Addict

We already have folder but profiles would be a welcome addition.
I'm already at 80% full on my Roamio Pro. With profiles I could organize things better by having profiles for say news programs, new shows, reality shows etc. It would make things much easier to organize my current 300 programs.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 03:24 AM   #10
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I'm already at 80% full on my Roamio Pro.
You record way to much TV!

But seriously 80% of a Pro is about 380 hours of programming. If you watched 8 hours a day 7 days a week it would take you about 1.5 months just to watch what you have now, and that's assuming you didn't record anything new in that time. Someone needs to call the people at hoarders.
Old 09-30-2013, 01:54 PM   #11
rcase13

I imported several videos from my home computer using TiVo Desktop. Now all those home videos have filled up the list and make it very hard to find recent recordings. A simple folder would fix that.
rcase13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 02:11 PM   #12
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcase13 View Post
I imported several videos from my home computer using TiVo Desktop. Now all those home videos have filled up the list and make it very hard to find recent recordings. A simple folder would fix that.
If you use pyTiVo you can assign metadata to those home recordings and get them into a group.
Old 09-30-2013, 05:49 PM   #13
yokito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post

But seriously 80% of a Pro is about 380 hours of programming. If you watched 8 hours a day 7 days a week it would take you about 1.5 months just to watch what you have now, and that's assuming you didn't record anything new in that time. Someone needs to call the people at hoarders.
Is there a bookkeeper hiding in this moderator? What else is the large hard drive good for? And who says that we have to watch everything that we record?

Did I sign something that I'm not aware off when I got the Roamio?

Old 09-30-2013, 06:39 PM   #14
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post

I'm at 83% now

I rarely delete anything but I think I might need to start before some shows get deleted I want to watch. Since I also don't typically use KUID. But I also need to find out what other new shows are in the NEW SHOWS SP so I can delete the SP. That is what is really adding to my list. SInce most of my SPs are set to only keep 3, 5, or 10 episodes so they can only add so much.

Although the NEW SHOWS SP has been nice. Usually I spend a bunch of time deciding what shows I will watch, and what channels and time they are on. But with the New Shows SP I never looked at anything. And once a show recorded that I liked, I created an SP for the specific show.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt : 09-30-2013 at 06:44 PM.
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 07:25 PM   #15
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by yokito View Post
Is there a bookkeeper hiding in this moderator? What else is the large hard drive good for? And who says that we have to watch everything that we record?

Did I sign something that I'm not aware off when I got the Roamio?

Nah just ribbing Aaron. I've teased him about this before.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:32 PM   #16
Bphagan
brettdog

I would also like to see folders.
I didn't realize how much until I switched from a 2 tuner PremiereXL + Comcast 2 tuner DVR
to a single RoamioPro.
The Comcast DVR was used for Sitcoms and other shows I didn't watch, but the rest of the family did.
Now the list goes on for pages with a lot mixed in.
If I could setup folders for the Season Passes and individual recordings like:
Movies
SitComs
Sports
Drama
etc.

then I could find what I want a little quicker.

bdog
Bphagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:59 AM   #17
Bphagan
brettdog

The more I thought about this, the more I would prefer if tags could be assigned to recordings and a my shows listing that shows each tag as a folder.

Setting up a SP to automatically assign certain tags.

Ex: The Middle could have a tag for Sitcom, Wife, Daughter
This show with add those tags to each episode.
Then if Wife watches but not daughter, wife removes her tag but stills shows in daughters tag folder as unwatched.

It's getting more difficult for entire family to sit down and watch shows together, so need an easy way to differentiate whats unwatched by who.

bdog
Old 11-05-2013, 10:44 AM   #18
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Custom folders will not happen! Ever!

We have talked about this a lot. TiVo's design strategy doesn't support a highly customizable environment and there are very good reasons for this.

Again, you will NEVER see "custom folders" on TiVo. It would require more user configuration then TiVo would ever approve.

What I do think TiVo will and should implement are profiles.
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 05:36 PM   #19
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
Custom folders will not happen! Ever!

We have talked about this a lot. TiVo's design strategy doesn't support a highly customizable environment and there are very good reasons for this.

Again, you will NEVER see "custom folders" on TiVo. It would require more user configuration then TiVo would ever approve.

What I do think TiVo will and should implement are profiles.
Agreed. TiVo likes to take a KISS approach. They're not big on adding complex options that only power users can figure out.

Profiles are the holy grail for families, but may not be that much use to an individual. Although there was some talk about a 3 tier My Shows where things were not only grouped by show but also by category. that might be useful for individuals.
Old 11-06-2013, 11:20 PM   #20
Bphagan
brettdog

I see your point. It would be a lot to setup and maintain.
Not sure what your profiles feature entails.
Is there another thread that describes the profile feature request?

bdog
Old 11-07-2013, 10:38 AM   #21
Dan203
Super Moderator

This image was posted as part of a review of the Premiere unit years ago...

It shows an option where each user would have their own My Shows list where presumably they would only see the shows they requested.

My vision for the feature would be that when setting up a recording, SP, or WL one of the options would the the ability to assign it to a specific user. (or multiple users) That would flag the show to show up in that particular users My Shows list. When a single show is assigned to multiple users then they would use reference counting for deleting. So basically when you delete a show it's moved to your Recently Deleted folder, but it's not physically deleted from the drive until all users who requested it have deleted it. Unless it's deleted from the All Users My Shows, then it's automatically deleted from all users. The To Do List and SP Manger would use some sort of color coding to designate which user a SP/Recording is designated to.

There were also some mentions recently about a 3 tiered My Shows list. Assuming the current list has 2 tiers with groups on I assume the 3rd tier would add the ability to filter My Shows by category to help narrow results.
Old 11-07-2013, 12:24 PM   #22
yokito

While I would like the more elaborate request above - I think something that would be easier to implement would do the trick as well - instead of 'profiles' we could have Folders that a Season pass could record into.

Old 11-07-2013, 03:26 PM   #23
Bphagan
brettdog

Dan,
Thanks for the info.
If Tivo implemented what you suggest, that would take care of many issues that we have in our household.
Since we now have a RoamioPro with 2 Minis and have about 100 SPs that different people watch and some we all watch at different times, this would be a wonderful feature.
We used to have a PremierXL and a Comcast DVR so the Wife/Daughter recordings went on the Comcast box and my/family SPs went on the Tivo. I didn't realize then how nice that was until now that everything is in one list.

bdog