TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 09-29-2013, 01:00 PM   #1
DeltaOne
Mount Airy, MD

Record new only

New Roamio Plus owner. I have my season passes set to record new only but the To Do list shows scheduled recordings for shows we watched in the previous weeks. 12 repeats were recorded the first full day we had the Roamio. Anyone know why?
DeltaOne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 02:18 PM   #2
Dan203
Super Moderator

It considers anything with an original air date less then 2 weeks old as "new". Normally it has a 28 day history to prevent recording shows you've already watched but with a new TiVo that history isn't there so for the first week or so you'll get some repeats of episodes that aren't technically first runs. It'll even out in a couple of weeks.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 02:21 PM   #3
AdamNJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaOne View Post
New Roamio Plus owner. I have my season passes set to record new only but the To Do list shows scheduled recordings for shows we watched in the previous weeks. 12 repeats were recorded the first full day we had the Roamio. Anyone know why?
Yes, "new" to the Tivo isn't just those shows that say "new" in the guide. It does some logic like: if it originally aired during the last 28 days, and this box hasn't recorded it yet (checks a history log), then record it.

I had the same experience originally, but I've been using it over a month now and so that period has past for me.

Also if you look at the to-do list you might see scheduled recordings of repeats and other things that don't make sense say a week out. Eventually, as the days get closer Tivo figures out the correct things to record.

on Cablevision Raritan Valley system (Central NJ)
w/ Cisco PKM803 CableCARD on firmware 1.5.3.1101

*** 2013 newbie to Tivo ***
AdamNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 03:29 PM   #4
DeltaOne
Mount Airy, MD

Great info, thanks!

I was looking at the To Do list and saw two recordings that didn't make sense -- turns out they were talk shows with guests that appear on shows we do record. So the Tivo is doing some fuzzy logic and recording a show. We have Suggestions turned off -- so this behavior surprised me.
Old 09-30-2013, 12:43 AM   #5
headless chicken

You mean they did away with the "first run only" option on the Roamio??
headless chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 12:54 AM   #6
yokito

Quote:
Originally Posted by headless chicken View Post
You mean they did away with the "first run only" option on the Roamio??
No.
Old 09-30-2013, 04:28 AM   #7
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Great info, thanks!

I was looking at the To Do list and saw two recordings that didn't make sense -- turns out they were talk shows with guests that appear on shows we do record. So the Tivo is doing some fuzzy logic and recording a show. We have Suggestions turned off -- so this behavior surprised me.
Do you have Wish Lists setup for those actors?
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 06:07 AM   #8
DeltaOne
Mount Airy, MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Do you have Wish Lists setup for those actors?
Quite possibly, yes.

Set the Roamio up three days ago, and entered our Season Passes. For the shows not airing now we put them in the Wish List. We figured that putting them in the Wish List would mean they would get recorded when they air next season and that we wouldn't need to remember to enter them at a later date. Correct?
Old 09-30-2013, 10:49 AM   #9
headless chicken

Quote:
We figured that putting them in the Wish List would mean they would get recorded when they air next season and that we wouldn't need to remember to enter them at a later date. Correct?
If you want matching programs to automatically record, you need to set the WishList to autorecord.
Old 09-30-2013, 01:46 PM   #10
DeltaOne
Mount Airy, MD

I'll check the auto-record option on our Wish List.

What's the best way to deal with Wish List items once they begin airing? Set the options to a Season Pass or does that happen automatically?
Old 09-30-2013, 01:49 PM   #11
headless chicken

Quote:
What's the best way to deal with Wish List items once they begin airing? Set the options to a Season Pass or does that happen automatically?
WishLists are automatically set to appear in Season Pass. However, you must specify recording options such as auto-record, first run/repeat airings, how many episodes to keep, keep until dates, etc.
Old 09-30-2013, 02:17 PM   #12
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by headless chicken View Post
If you want matching programs to automatically record, you need to set the WishList to autorecord.
On the Roamio platform, wishlists record by default. There's no option to disable this when creating a wishlist but you can go back and turn it off.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote