Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-30-2013, 12:27 AM   #91
Zevida
witless and unarmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFSSO View Post
Great ending. After all the other big show finale failures, I din't expect much. I'm glad Vince Gilligan knocked it out of the park.

Amazed there is no hate here. Well, I guess we will see after the West Coast feed.
I hated on it a little bit. I actually found it a little flat, which is why I called it an epilogue. There was little building of tension or excitement throughout the episode and the further along it got, the more obvious things became that they would end the way everyone had been predicting and we'd really known since the starts of this 8 episode run.

It was a good episode - a mid-pack Breaking Bad episode. But finales are darn hard. So I think in general, they did a good job with the finale season - built up to an incredible episode in Ozymandias and then let us down with two nice wrap-up episodes.

But I really wanted to see Walt get his comeuppance and he didn't. I don't know, maybe he did when he lost his family and his money, but he still got to end things on his terms.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- billypritchard
Zevida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 12:40 AM   #92
SocratesJohnson

I sure hope Flynn ends up with his money. Must suck going from a Challenger to the bus.
SocratesJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 12:48 AM   #93
Numb And Number2

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFSSO View Post
I guess we will see after the West Coast feed.
Lots of love in the Southwest
Numb And Number2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 12:55 AM   #94
Langree
The Gimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Her name is Felina. Rosa's Cantina.
To be specific, it's Feleena.

Three songs tell the story:

El Paso 1959
Feleena 1966 (story from her POV)
El Paso City 1976 (Man recalling past life)
Old 09-30-2013, 01:03 AM   #95
Langree
The Gimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zevida View Post
But I really wanted to see Walt get his comeuppance and he didn't. I don't know, maybe he did when he lost his family and his money, but he still got to end things on his terms.
It kind of had the same feel to me as the ending of The Shield.
Old 09-30-2013, 02:13 AM   #96
getreal
postcrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB1000 View Post
.... Definitely a satisfying ending but far from perfect, as a story ending it was OK but the episode had plenty of flaws. I started watching it with a nervous, tense stomach but as it went on it became pretty clear how it was going to end and the tension reduced.

I was slightly annoyed by the "TV" stuff, the multiple camera angles during the opening scene in the car just got annoying. The whole "will he reach his keys" thing was distracting and unnecessary. Even the wooden beam thing, it was great when they revealed Walt but annoying when they kept it between Walt and Skyler - symbolism anyone? The parking the car thing also. A lot of this stuff stretched believability for me.
Somebody open a window ... I totally predicted that this would be the first one to stink up this thread with a big steaming turd review. What impossible standard can impress this guy?

This was the best writing and directing and acting and everything that anyone could hope for, and Gilligan's team delivered.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
getreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 02:18 AM   #97
JETarpon

Shutting the car door didn't knock any snow off, but hitting the closed window with his fist cleared it completely? Come on!
Old 09-30-2013, 02:47 AM   #98
Dan203
Super Moderator

Wasn't the best episode, but a decent ending to a great show. Could have been worse they could have built up a ton of tension and then just cut to black.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 04:23 AM   #99
smbaker

A few things:

1) I'm so glad that high-velocity large caliber rifle ammunition, the type of thing that's usually stopped by car doors and drywall in TV shows, blasted right through a building for a change. It was refreshing.

2) I think telling Lydia she was poisoned was a really bad idea. Rather than dying from "complications of the flu", she now knows Walt killed her, and has a little bit time remaining to spend her considerable fortune on hiring people to kill his wife and kids out of revenge.

3) Someone asked why Walt had to kill Lydia if he did not know Lydia sent goons to his house. I'm not sure if this was answered in the thread, but regardless of whether or not Walt knew about the goons, he knew that Skyler had seen Lydia and therefore would be a target after his death. Lydia doesn't like to leave witnesses. She had to go.

4) As I expected, he did not harm the Grey Matter folks. I was wrong though about the lack of credit given to Walt in the Grey Matter interview being what pushed him over the edge. Instead, it was seeing them give away the money that gave him the idea to use them as a conduit to funnel money to Flynne. We get to see the pragmatic side of Walt. Nice writing there.

5) I bet the grey matter folks burn Walt's money and give Flynne their own money regardless of Walt's wishes. Walt's "hit men" would have no way to know that they used their own money, that couple seemed to really detest the drug money, and they had plenty of wealth of their own to give away. This would be rather ironic, as it would mean everything Walt did was for nothing. It was his pride that prevented him from asking them for money in the first place.

Overall, I was happy with the finale. Compared to the letdowns that were the Dexter and Burn Notice finales, this was an absolute masterpiece.

Last edited by smbaker : 09-30-2013 at 04:30 AM.
smbaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 04:55 AM   #100
wouldworker
_

Nice touch with the red police car lights reflecting in Walt's glasses making him look like the Terminator.
wouldworker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 05:09 AM   #101
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

Did anyone else watch the clock and think, "how is this going to resolve with 8 minutes to go"? Damn fine TV
Old 09-30-2013, 05:26 AM   #102
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElJay View Post
I'm still puzzled by this entire plan that was spawned by Charlie Rose.
I think we were all so diverted by the idea that the continued existence of blue meth triggered Walt that we missed the simple fact that was his primary takeaway from the spot- that Gretchen and Elliot could write a check for 28 million to fund a charity and no one would blink an eye.
Finding a way to move money has always been an issue on this show, and the Charlie Rose spot provided Walt with a solution for how to move his.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeegan View Post

That was quite the satisfying crazy laugh from Jesse while driving away. Perfect.
Except I was waiting for his car to get t-boned as he drove away... [/TCF "trope"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zevida View Post
I hated on it a little bit. I actually found it a little flat, which is why I called it an epilogue. There was little building of tension or excitement throughout the episode and the further along it got, the more obvious things became that they would end the way everyone had been predicting and we'd really known since the starts of this 8 episode run.
If I remember correctly, the penultimate episodes of each season have always been the high tension ones, and IMO rightly so. Audiences need closure and that can't always be done in the same ep as the slam bam action. We got to breathe, absorb the events, and then wind down with the fallout. It leaves a more satisfied feeling IMO.

"I did it for me. I liked it. I was good at it. And, I was really... I was alive."
Great epitaph.
Well done.
Old 09-30-2013, 05:34 AM   #103
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

fantastic interview with Michael Slovis, cinematographer on BB since the start of Season 2.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/allenstj...the-landing/2/ .
I had no idea they shot the whole thing on 35 mm film.
Old 09-30-2013, 05:35 AM   #104
Jstkiddn
Shutity up up up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyman View Post
Did anyone else watch the clock and think, "how is this going to resolve with 8 minutes to go"? Damn fine TV
Yes!! I did this at several points.
Jstkiddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 05:37 AM   #105
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncdrew View Post
So how did Walt know that was Lydia's table? Has she had that routine for years? I probably missed it in earlier seasons.....
Walt specifically stated that he had met with Lydia each Tuesday (I think) at the same time, so it's logical to assume it was the same table etc...she definitely was a person of routine.
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 05:38 AM   #106
MacThor
Not Pictured

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncdrew View Post
So how did Walt know that was Lydia's table? Has she had that routine for years? I probably missed it in earlier seasons.

Towards the end, I was hoping/thinking Walt would go out by ODing on his Baby Blue.

Glad Grey matter was wrapped up in three minutes. I still wonder if Flynn will know the money was from his dad. G&E might convince him it's not. They probably put Walt's millions in hiding and never touch it. Hell, perhaps they burn it. I know they're scared and they'll gt the money to Flynn best they can, but just like anyone else they can't just drive millions to he bank and deposit it.
Walt mentioned that was the same table they met at every week. They were in business together for months (condensed into a montage) and Walt made ~$80 million with her over that time.

There was a great line during the scene with G&E (I will have to rewatch) - something about how this was their chance to make it right. My interpretation was that Walt was reminding them how they wronged him, and even set all of this in motion.
MacThor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 05:54 AM   #107
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langree View Post
To be specific, it's Feleena...
Um....no it's not. It's Felina. Check the lyrics to the original song online.
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 06:11 AM   #108
Cainebj

i gotta say that was the most satisfying series finale since Six Feet Under. SFU still wins the best - but this was pretty damned good.
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 06:28 AM   #109
mooseAndSquirrel

Loved it and, as others, "fully satisfied." For me, the best series ever.

But one minor question... how does knowing where Hank and Gomie's bodies are give Skylar any chance to "make a deal with the DEA"?

But I'm willing to let all of these little things go. Every moment of the show, things could have gone a different way. But, to steal a line from a show that was very unsatisfying, what happened, happened.
mooseAndSquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 06:40 AM   #110
uncdrew
Annie 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbaker View Post
2) I think telling Lydia she was poisoned was a really bad idea. Rather than dying from "complications of the flu", she now knows Walt killed her, and has a little bit time remaining to spend her considerable fortune on hiring people to kill his wife and kids out of revenge.

4) As I expected, he did not harm the Grey Matter folks. I was wrong though about the lack of credit given to Walt in the Grey Matter interview being what pushed him over the edge. Instead, it was seeing them give away the money that gave him the idea to use them as a conduit to funnel money to Flynne. We get to see the pragmatic side of Walt. Nice writing there.

5) I bet the grey matter folks burn Walt's money and give Flynne their own money regardless of Walt's wishes. Walt's "hit men" would have no way to know that they used their own money, that couple seemed to really detest the drug money, and they had plenty of wealth of their own to give away. This would be rather ironic, as it would mean everything Walt did was for nothing. It was his pride that prevented him from asking them for money in the first place.
Agree with all those.

Lydia only has "flu-like symptoms and a ton of cash" and will die. Skylar is really in jeopardy. He should have just let the phone ring, but his telling her was enjoyable.
uncdrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 06:44 AM   #111
Jstkiddn
Shutity up up up

I disagree about Lydia. Lydia is driven by fear and greed. Revenge really isn't her thing. Once she realizes there is nothing to be done, I can envision her literally rolling over and dying.
Old 09-30-2013, 06:48 AM   #112
Carlucci
Hiding The Decline

One other thing I loved: Walt, alone in his completely trashed house, flashes back to the moment that would eventually bring him to his lowly fate -- Hank's braggadocio and teasing Walt about going with him on a ride-along to get some "real excitement" in his life.
Carlucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 06:59 AM   #113
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstkiddn View Post
I disagree about Lydia. Lydia is driven by fear and greed. Revenge really isn't her thing. Once she realizes there is nothing to be done, I can envision her literally rolling over and dying.
Plus it had to happen this way, for our benefit.
Old 09-30-2013, 07:04 AM   #114
purwater
I make tasty water

My wife and I both loved the finale. Series finales are hard to get right because of the expectations of the viewers, but we were both satisfied with the ending. For all of Walt's flaws and evil deeds he managed to do what he wanted from the start. The journey wasn't quite what he expected.
purwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 07:07 AM   #115
Jstkiddn
Shutity up up up

So...in breaking bad world, does Skyler now get to tell the whole story? Does she get to tell what really happened to hank or does Walt jr go on thinking his dad killed him?
Old 09-30-2013, 07:13 AM   #116
Turtleboy

TC CLUB MEMBER
My favorite part was the irrevocable trust.
Turtleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 07:17 AM   #117
cheesesteak
Meh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by betts4 View Post
Loved Jack taking one last puff
And getting blasted in the head when he thought he had something to negotiate.

How do the Grey Matter people convert $9 million cash into Flynn's trust fund without alarm bells going off? Do they deposit $24,999 every Friday?

How did Walt know where Skyler and Flynn had moved to?

That machine gun scene was AWESOME!!!!

I did not like the song in the closing scene. Nothing against the song itself, I just would have preferred that scene to be music-less.

Great ending to a great show and a great character. Walter White may be the best tv character ever.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts

Last edited by cheesesteak : 09-30-2013 at 07:30 AM.
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 07:25 AM   #118
markp99
TakoKichi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtleboy View Post
My favorite part was the irrevocable trust.
Wouldn't the gov;t get suspicious of a $7M trust to Finn, no matter the supposed source? Couldn't they grab those funds??
markp99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 07:34 AM   #119
wouldworker
_

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseAndSquirrel View Post
But one minor question... how does knowing where Hank and Gomie's bodies are give Skylar any chance to "make a deal with the DEA"?
The DEA was after Heisenberg, not Skyler. They were holding her over a barrel to try to get her to give up any information that might lead them to him. Now they have Heisenberg. Skyler is still in trouble for laundering the money but she can try to use the location of the bodies as a bargaining chip. Cops are very big on giving their own proper burials.
wouldworker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 07:46 AM   #120
cheesesteak
Meh.

Hmm. Was Walt dead at the very end or just wounded?

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote