TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-29-2013, 07:32 PM   #1
flar

URC integration... via USB?

Just bought a Pro...

I've been using a Premiere for a year or two with a URC RF remote, via an RF-to-IR base station, and the combination worked great. I have to use one of those 3.5mm to IR blaster devices (the kind that stick to the front of the device over its IR receiver) to talk to the TiVo, though.

I just replaced the Premiere with a Roamio Pro and all I had to do was unstick the IR blaster from the Premiere, find the receiver on the Pro and stick the blaster back on. Everything just worked after that and it is fairly responsive as well. Still, I was hoping for a nicer solution...

Some of my devices come with an IR input on the back - a small (typically 3.5mm) jack that you can wire to an IR blaster device using an ordinary 3.5mm audio cable to receive the signals electrically rather than optically. I was hoping the new TiVos would eventually start providing a similar port, but not so with the Roamios.

On the other hand, TiVo sells a nice USB to IR receiver device on their web site that works with "Mini or TiVo DVR". Since the TiVo Minis also work with generic USB-to-IR products from other manufacturers, it sounds like this USB protocol for remote signals is a standard. And, plugging in a USB cable is a cleaner "install" than sticking a plastic wart to the front of the box.

If you consider that I could combine the TiVo (or 3rd party) "USB to IR receiver" extension with a standard "3.5mm to IR blaster" extension and tape the two together to convey the IR signals, it should be theoretically possible to do that same thing without the optical connection in the middle, no?

Has anyone heard of a "USB to 3.5mm" adapter for integration with an RF base station? I have enough soldering skills that I could probably build one, but wouldn't have any clue how to design it, and I'd rather get a nice clean pre-built solution instead (I'd almost rather duct tape the two adapters together instead of breaking out the soldering iron, except for the elimination of the optical pathway in the middle).
selling TiVo Series 3, WD10EVCS, lifetime from Series 2
retired TiVo Series 2, 80 hour
flar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 10:34 PM   #2
Keen

I'm wrapping up a home theater upgrade, and would love to know if this 3.5mm -> USB device exists too.
Keen is offline   Reply With Quote