Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-27-2013, 08:44 AM   #151
MonsterJoe
salty meat-poles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einselen View Post
Movies. Since Iron Man in 2008 the Marvel films have all been part of the same universe including:

Iron Man
Incredible Hulk
Iron Man 2
Thor
Captain America: The First Avenger
The Avengers
Iron Man 3

and upcoming films:
Thor: The Dark World
Captain America: The Winter Solider
Guardians of the Galaxy
The Avengers: Age of Ultron
Ant-Man
Two untitled films set for 2016 and 2017 release

Also don't forget the short films Marvel One-Shots.
I understand that. The Avengers movie is the head of the snake, so when I say the "Avengers Universe", the rest of the movies are implied.

Also - the re-airing of the premiere has been in my guide data since at least the day after the first airing.
MonsterJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 08:56 AM   #152
BrettStah

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD79 View Post
They are still Marvel characters. The point being that not all Marvel movies are in the same universe. Just the Avengers ones.
My point is that because Sony and FOX own the movie rights to a subset of Marvel characters, and they use those characters as they see fit, not as Marvel Studios sees fit.

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
BrettStah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 09:10 AM   #153
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

Quote:
Originally Posted by late for dinner View Post
are you sure they were Hulk hands?
Yes. Just Google

Sheldon Hulk Hands. Plenty of pictures and video links.
Old 09-27-2013, 09:48 AM   #154
janry

I was a bit unsure as to liking this show until the last scene.
Spoiler:
the flying vette sold me.

janry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 10:10 AM   #155
danterner
Not it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by janry View Post
I was a bit unsure as to liking this show until the last scene. * SPOILER *
It seemed like a blatant rip-off of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, to me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| XBOX LIVE gamertag:
| Twitter:
| Goozex:
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 10:11 AM   #156
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Actually, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang ripped off SHIELD (which I can say, because apparently it doesn't matter which came first).
Old 09-27-2013, 11:28 AM   #157
mbhuff

Quote:
Ward: "She's a groupy, all the hacking into SHIELD, tracking powers. She might as well be one of those sweaty Cosplay characters crowding around Stark tower."

Skye: "WHAT?! I would... [whispers] it was just one time."
Love that...

I'm a huge fan of Joss, but from what I've read, he will only be involved with the pilot, so I don't have any idea how it's going to be going forward.

Still, sp setup.
mbhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 12:15 PM   #158
jehma

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbhuff View Post
I'm a huge fan of Joss, but from what I've read, he will only be involved with the pilot, so I don't have any idea how it's going to be going forward.
Really?
jehma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 12:18 PM   #159
eddyj

Quote:
Originally Posted by jehma View Post
Really?
That would be a major bummer!

eddyj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 12:38 PM   #160
IndyJones1023
Documentarianologist

His brother is the showrunner. I'm sure Joss will be influencing it all season, just not on set all of the time.
Old 09-27-2013, 01:01 PM   #161
jehma

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyJones1023 View Post
His brother is the showrunner. I'm sure Joss will be influencing it all season, just not on set all of the time.
And Jed & Maurissa are great in their own rights anyway.
jehma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 01:45 PM   #162
DLiquid
Progressive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyJones1023 View Post
I didn't realize that. That will make me less likely to stick with it if it doesn't improve over the next couple of episodes.
DLiquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 02:01 PM   #163
billypritchard
Embiggener

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLiquid View Post
I didn't realize that. That will make me less likely to stick with it if it doesn't improve over the next couple of episodes.
Probably more important than his brother, Jeffrey Bell is the other main showrunner. He spent a lot of time running Angel, worked on Alias, several other shows. He wrote the last episode of Angel, if you liked how that show ended.
Old 09-27-2013, 03:13 PM   #164
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettStah View Post
My point is that because Sony and FOX own the movie rights to a subset of Marvel characters, and they use those characters as they see fit, not as Marvel Studios sees fit.
I agree.
Old 09-27-2013, 03:15 PM   #165
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

In fact, Whedon is under strict orders from Marvel not to use the word "mutant" in SHIELD or the Marvel (Studios) movies.
Old 09-27-2013, 03:15 PM   #166
Peter000

Quote:
Originally Posted by late for dinner View Post
Me thinks Peter was referring to the comments here rather than a more scientific method.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
I think his point is a lot of people tuned in for the Avengers connection, but didn't like it very much.

I suspect he's wrong, but we'll see how the ratings hold up!
The ratings for the pilot mean next to nothing... merely that the show was hyped to death before air so everybody was at least interested in watching.

Every social site (I include TCF) I'm involved in it seems lots people aren't really excited about the premiere. Kind of a "meh" reception. Maybe I'm just sensitive to it because I'm a huge Joss Whedon fan and want SHIELD to succeed.

Anyway, I suspect the ratings will go down at least a third for the second episode. Hopefully they'll hold steady after that.
Peter000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 03:34 PM   #167
billypritchard
Embiggener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter000 View Post
The ratings for the pilot mean next to nothing... merely that the show was hyped to death before air so everybody was at least interested in watching.

Every social site (I include TCF) I'm involved in it seems lots people aren't really excited about the premiere. Kind of a "meh" reception. Maybe I'm just sensitive to it because I'm a huge Joss Whedon fan and want SHIELD to succeed.

Anyway, I suspect the ratings will go down at least a third for the second episode. Hopefully they'll hold steady after that.
Not a crazy prediction. Most new series drop 20-33% off their series premieres. Revolution dropped 20% in week 2 last year, and that was airing after the Voice.
Old 09-27-2013, 04:00 PM   #168
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbhuff View Post
He's still going to be executive producer, and he's not one of those guys that just puts his name on a show as EP without actually being involved to some extent. No, he won't be a day-to-day showrunner, that's what Jed Whedon and Maurissa Tancharoen are for, with help from Jeph Loeb and Jeffrey Bell. Still, I would expect that he'll contribute quite a bit to the show.
LoadStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 04:02 PM   #169
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by billypritchard View Post
Probably more important than his brother, Jeffrey Bell is the other main showrunner. He spent a lot of time running Angel, worked on Alias, several other shows. He wrote the last episode of Angel, if you liked how that show ended.
There's also Jeph Loeb, who has an extremely long string of producing super hero/comic book works, both animated and live action.
Old 09-27-2013, 04:05 PM   #170
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterboy View Post
Care to make a wager?

I also seem to recall Sheldon stealing Howard's Iron Man helmet, as well as references to X-men and Fantastic Four.
Ok, fair enough. It does tend to be extremely slanted towards DC Comics stuff; virtually all the props and costumes that feature visible copyrighted comic book images are all DC Comics. I could be wrong, but I think every single comic book shirt that Sheldon has ever worn has been from DC.
Old 09-27-2013, 05:50 PM   #171
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
There's also Jeph Loeb, who has an extremely long string of producing super hero/comic book works, both animated and live action.
Who is also Marvel's TV guy (that is, the Marvel executive in charge of TV development).
Old 09-27-2013, 09:21 PM   #172
bobcarn
Birthday Hug Monkey

Quote:
Ok, fair enough. It does tend to be extremely slanted towards DC Comics stuff; virtually all the props and costumes that feature visible copyrighted comic book images are all DC Comics. I could be wrong, but I think every single comic book shirt that Sheldon has ever worn has been from DC.
I've only recently started watching BBT (the last season), and I was thinking the same thing.

I did like the Flash shirt I saw him wear recently. (beakers) + (lightning bolts) = (Flash logo)
Old 09-27-2013, 09:24 PM   #173
bobcarn
Birthday Hug Monkey

I just watched the SHIELD pilot. I did like it about as much as I thought I would, so I'm happy. I liked the touches of humor in it (spelling out SHIELD, injecting truth serum into the agent, busting the girl in her van). The season pass stays.
Old 09-27-2013, 11:09 PM   #174
Azlen

If they follow the usual pattern, we'll get a few villain/freak of the week stories with a few over arcing pieces dropped here and there while they develop the characters. Then just after the half way point or so they'll crank up the season arc and the show will get more serial in nature. The season finale will tie up most of the plot with a cliffhanger element or two. I would like to seem them throw a wrench into this pattern but I wouldn't be terribly surprised either way.
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 01:05 PM   #175
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
The Warner marketing department seized upon as a great opportunity to promote their products, especially since the producers started featuring a comic book store in the show.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 05:31 PM   #176
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYoung View Post
The Warner marketing department seized upon as a great opportunity to promote their products, especially since the producers started featuring a comic book store in the show.
And it worked well. People buying BBT stuff are really buying DC stuff (Flash, Green Lantern).
Old 09-28-2013, 05:41 PM   #177
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unbeliever View Post
...I'm also surprised they let them film at Union Station (that was the Patsaouras Plaza side). It's not an un-busy place.....
Union Station is used quite often...
Bierboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 10:38 PM   #178
JLucPicard

TC CLUB MEMBER
Do they actually use Union Station, or do they have a large set somewhere that is a duplicate of it?
JLucPicard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 05:29 AM   #179
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLucPicard View Post
Do they actually use Union Station, or do they have a large set somewhere that is a duplicate of it?
The times I've seen Union Station used it certainly seems to be the real deal; I've been there.
Bierboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 10:54 AM   #180
Philosofy
Super Duper Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
Actually, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang ripped off SHIELD (which I can say, because apparently it doesn't matter which came first).
Actually, Ian Flemming created James Bond, which the original Shield and Nick Fury are inspired by. He also wrote Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. The original flying car in the SHIELD is an homage to Flemming's other work.