TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 213 votes, 4.99 average.
Old 09-27-2013, 06:11 PM   #391
andyf

I'd like to say yes with 5 tuners but I missed 3 premiers last Monday due to a tuner getting a black screen. It's the only time it's happened since I got it when it first went on sale and it hasn't happened since.
Old 09-27-2013, 06:27 PM   #392
I WANT MORE

Quote:
Originally Posted by I WANT MORE View Post
I was able to secure a 514517-017-00 today. Will report if it works on Friday when I get everything set up. Thanks again for the help.
Received my Plus today. Got everything set up and activated. It appears all 6 tuners will receive programming, however none of them will tune to what appears to be the encrypted channels. I had the local cable company (Midcontinent Communications) send a couple of different signals but so far it is not working.
514517-017-00
I have a Motorola card FW*06.25

I WANT MORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 06:43 PM   #393
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by I WANT MORE View Post
Received my Plus today. Got everything set up and activated. It appears all 6 tuners will receive programming, however none of them will tune to what appears to be the encrypted channels. I had the local cable company (Midcontinent Communications) send a couple of different signals but so far it is not working.
514517-017-00
I have a Motorola card FW*06.25
You should check CableCard->Conditional Access screen to see if your CableCard is properly paired. You should see a "V" after Val for properly paired CableCard.
EXAMPLES:

NOT PAIRED PROPERLY
Con: Yes EBCP: Yes Val: ? 0x15

PAIRED PROPERLY
Con: Yes EBCP: Yes Val: V 0x0E

If Con = No then that means the CableCard is not activated

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 08:50 PM   #394
I WANT MORE

UPDATE - Had them send another higher level signal and all is well. I have all of my programming on all 6 tuners. The Tivo Mini is also working beautifully.
Thank-you everyone here for the assistance.
I WANT MORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 11:14 AM   #395
mchief
Morey

Set up my Plus yesterday. After the updates, called the Comcast Cable Card line and actually got a lady that knew what she was doing. Took longer to verify my account than it did to pair the card I took from my TV. Immediately paired and I started recording 6 Premium channels. All worked fine so far. Card firmware is SA 3001. Also stuck in a 2 TB WD 20EARS drive without a problem.
Old 09-28-2013, 04:22 PM   #396
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
Sorry to hear that. I'm thinking it has something to do with analog channel simulcast and a glitch with how it tells the unit to tune to which channel, and it's mistaking something and trying to tune the analog channel instead, causing the black screen error because Roamio is digital only.
I think I'm onto something with the quoted statement above. I set my Roamio to record 5 SDV channels, then started surfing with the 6th. All channels tuned well until I got to CNN HD again. (Ch 1113 here). I channeled up and down and each adjacent channel tuned perfectly, but CNN HD never tuned when I went back to it. Then I remembered I said the above regarding analog channels so I looked in my channel guide brochure I got from oceanic TWC I found that ch 14 is CNN on their analog tier (but its an on demand channel in their digital tier), so I tuned to ch 14 and of course get a message saying the TA doesn't support this channel (because its on demand), so I immediately tune back to ch 1113 CNN HD and what do you know, it tunes in! So I channel down to 1111 and that tunes well. Then I channel back up to 1113 CNN HD and no dice.....hmmmmmm. I keep tuning up, down etc and still nothing. I tune back to ch 14 and then back to 1113 and voila, it tunes again! I'm seeing a pattern here. Then I look and see that the CNN SD digital channel is ch 113, so I do the same experiment using that instead of ch 14 and wouldn't ya know, that works to tune channel 1113 as well, ......huh?!?!? Wow startling evidence that it indeed does have to do with analog and SD digital simulcasts of channels. When I tune to ANY other channel except the analog and digital SD versions of the same HD channel, like CNN HD, then it won't tune. (Remember this is all while recording on the other 5 tuners).

I think the key thing that may be tripping up Roamio is the fact that on the analog tier ch 14 is CNN, but on digital it's an on demand channel. When I use the HDHomerun Prime it lists both channels in the channel list. Not so with Roamio. Me thinks TiVo needs to maybe send a different guide to their digital only roamios. I think this is why, when I look at the DVR diagnostics screen, it ALWAYS shows the mis-tuned channel as an analog one!

What say you, TiVo?
HarperVision is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 04:53 PM   #397
AdamNJ

Quote:
Then I look and see that the CNN SD digital channel is ch 113, so I do the same experiment using that instead of ch 14 and wouldn't ya know, that works to tune channel 1113 as well, ......huh?!?!? Wow startling evidence that it indeed does have to do with analog and SD digital simulcasts of channels. When I tune to ANY other channel except the analog and digital SD versions of the same HD channel, like CNN HD, then it won't tune. (Remember this is all while recording on the other 5 tuners).
Do you have 113 and 14 in your channel list? If so, try removing them to only keep the HD version. Then probably reboot the TA, maybe the Roamio too. Can you now to to the hd version without any "special tricks"?

Do you know if your TWC does some work on their end that when you use their boxes that if you tune to 113 and have an HD box that instead it really shows the feed from 1113 (hd) even though you are tuned into the sd channel number? If so, maybe that is part of the problem and they could disable that 'feature' for your registered devices?

on Cablevision Raritan Valley system (Central NJ)
w/ Cisco PKM803 CableCARD on firmware 1.5.3.1101

*** 2013 newbie to Tivo ***
AdamNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 05:33 PM   #398
lew-wolfgang

Quote:
I think I'm onto something with the quoted statement above. I set my Roamio to record 5 SDV channels, then started surfing with the 6th. All channels tuned well until I got to CNN HD again. (Ch 1113 here). I channeled up and down and each adjacent channel tuned perfectly, but CNN HD never tuned when I went back to it. Then I remembered I said the above regarding analog channels so I looked in my channel guide brochure I got from oceanic TWC I found that ch 14 is CNN on their analog tier (but its an on demand channel in their digital tier), so I tuned to ch 14 and of course get a message saying the TA doesn't support this channel (because its on demand), so I immediately tune back to ch 1113 CNN HD and what do you know, it tunes in! So I channel down to 1111 and that tunes well. Then I channel back up to 1113 CNN HD and no dice.....hmmmmmm. I keep tuning up, down etc and still nothing. I tune back to ch 14 and then back to 1113 and voila, it tunes again! I'm seeing a pattern here. Then I look and see that the CNN SD digital channel is ch 113, so I do the same experiment using that instead of ch 14 and wouldn't ya know, that works to tune channel 1113 as well, ......huh?!?!? Wow startling evidence that it indeed does have to do with analog and SD digital simulcasts of channels. When I tune to ANY other channel except the analog and digital SD versions of the same HD channel, like CNN HD, then it won't tune. (Remember this is all while recording on the other 5 tuners).

I think the key thing that may be tripping up Roamio is the fact that on the analog tier ch 14 is CNN, but on digital it's an on demand channel. When I use the HDHomerun Prime it lists both channels in the channel list. Not so with Roamio. Me thinks TiVo needs to maybe send a different guide to their digital only roamios. I think this is why, when I look at the DVR diagnostics screen, it ALWAYS shows the mis-tuned channel as an analog one!

What say you, TiVo?
This is really interesting.

I've been getting the black screen on about 50% of my HD tunes today. So I start recording on 5-tuners and start surfing with the up/down channel button. Now all channels tune perfectly! I search for 30-minutes and couldn't find a bad one! When I tune to channels in the analog band, the tuner I'm surfing on says they're QAM-256 channels. Not analog? Is this normal?

Also, I've noticed that when the Pro is unable to tune, my Mini works perfectly! Could the Mini be pulling a different channel list?
lew-wolfgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 07:20 PM   #399
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamNJ View Post

Do you have 113 and 14 in your channel list? If so, try removing them to only keep the HD version. Then probably reboot the TA, maybe the Roamio too. Can you now to to the hd version without any "special tricks"?
No I removed those long ago. They're still in the list when I go into the channel list menu, but unchecked of course. What I'm saying is don't even make them available at all and maybe that'll fix it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamNJ View Post
Do you know if your TWC does some work on their end that when you use their boxes that if you tune to 113 and have an HD box that instead it really shows the feed from 1113 (hd) even though you are tuned into the sd channel number? If so, maybe that is part of the problem and they could disable that 'feature' for your registered devices?
I've heard of them doing that in twc areas and i remember asking the counter csr when I picked up the second ta and cc. She said they hoped to do it in this area soon. I took that with a grain of salt and I have no clue if they actually do or will ever do it here. I have never had nor will ever have one of their boxes.
Old 09-28-2013, 07:25 PM   #400
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by lew-wolfgang View Post

This is really interesting.

I've been getting the black screen on about 50% of my HD tunes today. So I start recording on 5-tuners and start surfing with the up/down channel button. Now all channels tune perfectly! I search for 30-minutes and couldn't find a bad one! When I tune to channels in the analog band, the tuner I'm surfing on says they're QAM-256 channels. Not analog? Is this normal?

Also, I've noticed that when the Pro is unable to tune, my Mini works perfectly! Could the Mini be pulling a different channel list?
Yes that's normal and is the auto tune simulcast I'm talking about. My Roamio automatically tunes to the sd digital version of the channel when I select the analog channel version (ch3 local analog fox and ch83 digital fox, ch 1003 HD Fox). That's the issue that I think is causing the bad tunes on the HD versions somehow.

Not sure on the minis. I should try that too.
Old 09-28-2013, 10:14 PM   #401
jwbelcher

Quote:
Yes that's normal and is the auto tune simulcast I'm talking about. My Roamio automatically tunes to the sd digital version of the channel when I select the analog channel version (ch3 local analog fox and ch83 digital fox, ch 1003 HD Fox). That's the issue that I think is causing the bad tunes on the HD versions somehow.

Not sure on the minis. I should try that too.
Try turning off your Tuning Adapter. Tivo will tune the HD channels instead of SD for the ch3 fox.
jwbelcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 01:39 AM   #402
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwbelcher View Post

Try turning off your Tuning Adapter. Tivo will tune the HD channels instead of SD for the ch3 fox.
I have them unselected in my channel list and I'm NOT going to turn off my TA and lose all the other channels I'm paying for. My HDHR prime does this tuning fine and I'm not accepting paying this much money for a Jerry rigged system!

Last edited by HarperVision : 09-29-2013 at 05:15 AM.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:05 PM   #403
NJguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoMargret View Post
I would like to invite those of you who have a CableCARD from NDS to join our Beta. While I don't have a fix yet, the Beta has additional logging around the issue that will let us help Cisco/NDS understand the problem with the firmware.

If you are willing to join our Beta program, please sign up at:
http://fieldtrials.tivo.com

and then send me an email (margret@tivo.com) with the subject: "NDS CableCARD"

Thanks,
--Margret
Why can't we just get NON NDS cards? The problem around the firmware is that it's old! I've documented that in previous posts. While others have updated the firmware, NDS/Cisco stands still. I hope this works soon.
NJguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 06:17 AM   #404
BruceShultes

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJguy View Post
Why can't we just get NON NDS cards? The problem around the firmware is that it's old! I've documented that in previous posts. While others have updated the firmware, NDS/Cisco stands still. I hope this works soon.
Certain cable company head ends only work with specific cable card brand(s).

Even if you could obtain a different brand of cable card, it wouldn't do you any good unless your cable company's head end had software that supported it.
BruceShultes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:59 PM   #405
NJguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceShultes View Post
Certain cable company head ends only work with specific cable card brand(s).

Even if you could obtain a different brand of cable card, it wouldn't do you any good unless your cable company's head end had software that supported it.
Learned that today. Tried to go to Oakland, NJ to get a Cisco card (as someone else suggested in another post...they went to Randolph to get a Cisco card).

Oakland said the only card that works with my system is an NDS card

So, I'm waiting for a fix from/with Cablevision and TiVo.

I was contacted by Cablevision today about my FCC complaint. I mentioned that it was my understanding that cable companies did not have to offer more than 4 working tuners on a cablecard if they were not offering more than 4 tuners to record at once.....but.....since Cablevision now offers up to 10 tuner recordings at once they need to authorize the maximum of 6 tuners on their cards immediately. She was speechless for a good 7 to 10 seconds when I came out with that and just said she'd get back to me within 24 to 48 hours. I have been very polite to all as I know this is a software thing and know it may take some time to fix. I just want this to be at the top of the software fix list, not way at the bottom. We'll see what happens.
Old 10-02-2013, 03:49 AM   #406
GriffithStrife

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyf View Post
I'd like to say yes with 5 tuners but I missed 3 premiers last Monday due to a tuner getting a black screen. It's the only time it's happened since I got it when it first went on sale and it hasn't happened since.
Hello Andyf please forgive me if this comes out rude because that is not my intention but, I also live in Houston and have no trouble picking up all 6 tuners. Several other people have stated the same thing to you, I believe you are suffering from a different problem maybe the unit or the card. Either way I would look into other solutions than a cable card firmware, Houston is up to date on the firmware
GriffithStrife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 06:52 AM   #407
cyberskier

Quote:
Originally Posted by GriffithStrife View Post
Hello Andyf please forgive me if this comes out rude because that is not my intention but, I also live in Houston and have no trouble picking up all 6 tuners. Several other people have stated the same thing to you, I believe you are suffering from a different problem maybe the unit or the card. Either way I would look into other solutions than a cable card firmware, Houston is up to date on the firmware
It is also possible that the problem is with the cable card, but only arises under very specific circumstances, so others aren't seeing it. I'm not saying that is the case, but it is possible. Here's a post where a user describes getting the problem when selecting a very specific channel combination:

Only 5 of 6 tuners work - is that b/c of Mini?

[from
, my blog]
cyberskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 06:54 AM   #408
cyberskier

Do I have to wait for the problem to appear to lock out the 6th tuner, and go with 5? Or if I do it when all 6 are working, will it still lock out the correct (faulty) tuner? I ask because I've only seen the problem on a couple of occasions.

[from
, my blog]
cyberskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 09:50 AM   #409
RustySTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustySTL View Post
Anyone have an issue with only 2 tuners working?

I called Charter to have my old card from my TiVoHD paired to the new Roamio and was still only receiving 2 tuners. They of course told me to call TiVo and they said that my card still wasn't authorized correctly but I should at least have 4 tuners working. They then told me to return my TiVo because it was defective.

I called Charter back and they said they'll have a tech out today to check it out. I'll fill everyone in as to what happens.

I have the 02.65 firmware on my Motorola card in case anyone is wondering.
I meant to follow up on this last week, but after 3 calls to Charter and a tech coming out, and two calls to TiVo, I found it was the Tuning Adapter. The Charter tech swore up and down that their cards only do two tuners...I asked him to leave since I knew he had no clue what he was talking about.

Resetting the Tuning Adapter gave me all 6 tuners working without any problems.
RustySTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 06:10 PM   #410
sanyewest

got my roamio plus today instill wd20eurs 2tb it 317hrs n im on cablevision n all 6 tuning are working i rec 6 ch n its all good thank to everyone on this forume my cable card fimwave ver. vguad 3.0.7_f.p.0501
sanyewest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 06:21 PM   #411
Am_I_Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanyewest View Post
got my roamio plus today instill wd20eurs 2tb it 317hrs n im on cablevision n all 6 tuning are working i rec 6 ch n its all good thank to everyone on this forume my cable card fimwave ver. vguad 3.0.7_f.p.0501
Give it time
Am_I_Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 08:28 PM   #412
NJguy

Quote:
Trust me when I tell you that all 6 will not work for long. You'll find it out when you try to record something you really want to see and it will only be a partial recording. They are supposedly working on it.
Old 10-05-2013, 04:35 PM   #413
sanyewest

oh nice going now i only have 5 working my cablecard is nds m-card from cablevision my say nds s/w ver: 3.92.13 aug 15 2010 20:23:20 no v
sanyewest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 04:36 AM   #414
TC25D

No need to post like a text message. Capitalization and punctuation aid readability.
TC25D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 11:25 AM   #415
NJguy

Quote:
oh nice going now i only have 5 working my cablecard is nds m-card from cablevision my say nds s/w ver: 3.92.13 aug 15 2010 20:23:20 no v
You should only have 4 working with this NDS card from Cablevision. If you're saying 5 you'll see it drop to 4 eventually. Check previous posts from Margaret as to how to drop your box down to 4 tuners (from 6). It's a known problem and they are working on a fix.

You can also file a complaint with FCC. You'll get a call from Cablevision letting you know they are working on it but I figure the more people that file with FCC the higher this goes up on their list of priorities.
Old 10-10-2013, 09:06 AM   #416
DigitalDawn

Looks like October won't be the month for Comcast Florida updates. So get used to having only 4 tuners on your Roamio Plus and Pro.

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Xfinity...501473/page/24
DigitalDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 07:07 PM   #417
generaltso

Finally got my Comcast PKM801 card updated to 1.5.2_3001. With 1401, I could only get 5 tuners to work. Now with 3001, only 4 tuners work. This is not going in the right direction. My other card, which is a PKM800 running 3001 still has 5 working tuners.
generaltso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 11:51 PM   #418
NJguy

No issue with 4 tuners for a couple of weeks and now I get a ton of channels that say "Channel not available. Contact your cabe provider for more information" WTF. I'm already down to 4 tuners. Unfortunately I think I'm just about done with TiVo. Cable has a crappy box and only 2 tuners (unless I go back to the multi room thing with Cablevision) but at least it works more often than TiVo. I shouldn't have this happen.
Old 10-11-2013, 04:12 AM   #419
HarperVision

Windows media center is your friend! (Or DirecTV)
Old 10-11-2013, 08:19 AM   #420
MrMikeinflorida

report from florida....

I live in Sebastian, fl and picked up my Motorola M cable card (FW 6.25) for Comcast in vero beach last Friday to use with my roamio plus. even though the area hasn't updated to the x1 or new guide, the supplied card did make available all 6 tuners on the roamio.

I will point out that the Comcast cable card hotline was responsive and efficient. they made sure to identify the unit as a roamio as opposed to premiere in their system. while some channels didn't show up initially, I did identify the conditional access val as ? instead of V (which indicates that it wasn't fully paired). quickly called back and person helping me identified that original activation had the wrong host id. problem corrected within seconds.

overall, happy to see that Comcast in the florida treasure coast is ready for the roamio.
MrMikeinflorida is offline   Reply With Quote