TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-26-2013, 07:46 PM   #1
leiff

cancel comcast to get cheaper new customer promo's later?

Im selling my xl4. Ill be without cable tv until the s5 goes on sale. Im betting around holiday season. I dont want to hold onto my xl4 until s5 goes on sale because i believe xl4 resale value will be even less at that time. So im wondering if i should cancel my internet from Comcast at the same time i cancel my comcast TV and temporarily add dsl service until i am readyto add comcast TV/internet at the same time . Ive been told after not having service for 3 months i will be eligable for new subscriber promo rates fro m Comcast. Anyone know if ill get cheaper deals from comcast if i cancel both services now from Comcast vs. Just TV?
leiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 07:55 PM   #2
jrtroo
User

Call comcast?
Old 09-27-2013, 08:47 AM   #3
juvi77

You don't need to cancel service to get a good deal from Comcast.

Every year when my promo is up I call them up and tell them my promo is ending and I'm a happy customer who would like to stay with them but I need a promo to do it. I always mention that satellite service is available in my building so I'm exploring my options.

You will get transferred to the retention dept that can offer you a deal for another year. Without fail for the past 4 or 5 years I have either had my bill get reduced or I have only seen it increase by a few dollars. I have internet and TV through Comcast with all the premium channels. They have inevitably always found a way to keep me as a subscriber and last year threw in the Sports Entertainment package for free to keep me around. From my experience being polite but firm with them has gotten me good deals in the past.
juvi77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 10:14 AM   #4
synch22

I go limited basic for 7 months out of the year. Once football season is here I get a digital preferred promo for an additional $20-$30 a month.

So monthly with limited basic and internet $75
Now with digital preferred and net.. $95

Come Feb I downgrade 2nd yr in a row for me.
synch22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 11:35 PM   #5
austinpike

I never get any good deals from retentions; I usually call a few times before canceling, but they typically just offer a free package upgrade or knock $20 off, which is nothing compared to the new customer deals. Then when I call back to -actually- cancel they act all surprised, like why didn't you give us a chance.... Well, I did.

To the OP's point, in my experience even if you just cancel one service it is enough to give them the option of putting you back on a new "bundle" in a few months. Last time I cancelled internet but kept tv, they called me a month later offering a pretty sweet combo deal. But anything with Comcast is the very definition of YMMV.
austinpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 09:47 PM   #6
abeagler

Every year, when my one year price agreement is up, Comcast jacks up my price by some ungodly amount. So every year I have to call them and express outrage at the magnitude of the increase, at which point they move the price point back down. This year I mentioned in passing a new competitor in town, so they moved it down to the lowest it's been in years. Basically, Comcast will charge you out the wazoo if you let them, but seem willing to lower the price if you whine.

FWIW, I have phone/internet/cable.
abeagler is offline   Reply With Quote