TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-26-2013, 12:55 AM   #31
Worf

I just have season 5.5 to do, so I need to finish 7 episodes before Sunday...
Worf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 09:43 AM   #32
trip1eX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worf View Post
I just have season 5.5 to do, so I need to finish 7 episodes before Sunday...

Well having just watching Ep1 Season 5.5 last night I can say that you could skip it and not miss much. Nothing really happened.

That dragged that one out quite a bit kind of like they made us a wait a year for the last 8 episodes.
trip1eX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 09:47 AM   #33
trip1eX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worf View Post
I will admit to having just got into BB, and I will also admit that if I saw it week by week, I probably would've lost interest a long time back - there were some sloooow episodes.

But all at once in a marathon? Wow. it's amazing.

Yeah that is one reason I recorded this season and only started watching last night.

They like to let characters stare into space for an extra 5-10 seconds here and there compared to most shows. Sometimes it is nice and breath of fresh air considering most shows are too edit/cut happy.

But other times you get an episode like S5.5 Ep1 where nothing happens.
trip1eX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 01:01 AM   #34
Worf

Well, stuff did happen, just it was wildly predictable stuff.

Of course, the thing is, they had to stretch that premise for another 7 episodes because really, if Walt gets arrested in the first episode, well, what are you going to do for the next 7? Fine, you can do a wrap up show and have two episodes, but that's it.

No, it has to be stretched out because the only time to settle it is on the last episode. So episodes 1-7 of 5.5 must just tie up loose ends.
Old 09-27-2013, 11:07 AM   #35
Waldorf
Super Duper Member

Whew! We just finished the finale of season 4 last night... According to the previously linked article, it looks like I have to set up a first run+repeats season pass tomorrow night before 11pm - then probably a manual record of the Talking Bad special.
Old 09-27-2013, 06:32 PM   #36
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

How can people say nothing happened in S05E09? There was the great scene with Walt vs Hank. There was Skyler with the verbal smackdown of Lydia. There was the great scene with Walt at Jesse's place. And of course the flash-forward teaser at the beginning was great. What's not to like?

Just turned on AMC in the background and saw the titular scene in Box Cutter. Man that was tense.
Old 09-28-2013, 09:13 AM   #37
Bob_Newhart
My Custom User Title

I've never watched a single episode of this show and decided to record the first five to see if I'd like it. I did.

A couple of questions I didn't feel like googling:
1) Is Mr Smith the same actor who played the dad in Malcolm/Middle and Tim Sacksky in King of Queens?

2) Why is it called Breaking Bad? Never figured that out.

3) Why are they editing out all the cuss words? Did they do this in the original run? If so, why have them cuss? I don't understand why they're bleeping these words in the marathon.

That is all.
Bob_Newhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 09:18 AM   #38
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_Newhart View Post
I've never watched a single episode of this show and decided to record the first five to see if I'd like it. I did.

A couple of questions I didn't feel like googling:
1) Is Mr Smith the same actor who played the dad in Malcolm/Middle and Tim Sacksky in King of Queens?

2) Why is it called Breaking Bad? Never figured that out.

3) Why are they editing out all the cuss words? Did they do this in the original run? If so, why have them cuss? I don't understand why they're bleeping these words in the marathon.

That is all.
1) Mr. Smith? If you mean Mr. White, then yes.

2)"A glance at the bevy of definitions at user-sourced Urban Dictionary reveals that different contributors think the words possess a wide variety of nuances: to “break bad” can mean to “go wild,” to “defy authority” and break the law, to be verbally “combative, belligerent, or threatening” or, followed by the preposition “on,” to “completely dominate or humiliate.”

Reference books back up that third meaning seen at Urban Dictionary. The New Partridge Dictionary of Slang and Unconventional English gives a definition of “to act in a threatening, menacing manner”; American Slang gives a similar definition and traces the phrase to 1970s black usage. Cassell’s Dictionary of Slang says it’s African-American slang from the ’60s that means “to become angry or aggressive”—and that on 1980s college campuses it could (perhaps in a “bad equals good” sense?) mean “to perform well.” The Facts on File Dictionary of American Regionalisms labels the phrase as Southern slang that means “to behave in a violent manner for no good reason.”

http://entertainment.time.com/2013/0...actually-mean/

3) I dunno.
Old 09-28-2013, 09:57 AM   #39
Hank
AC•FTW

1. Yes.
2. In a later episode (or possibly the pilot), Jesse (Walt's former student) is surprised that Walt is going to "break bad" by suddenly going from mild-mannered, boring, straigh-laced, high-school chemistry teacher to cooking meth in an RV in the desert with a loser drug dealer. "Breaking Bad" is the first step at going from someone who doesn't do anything wrong to someone who does, in a big way.*
3. These episodes originally aired on AMC with the language and even some mild nudity. They've decided after-the-fact to censor them, even on Netflix.

* Vince Gilligan, the creator of the show has said often he wanted to portray "Mr. Chips turning into Scarface". Think of that as "Breaking Bad"
Hank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 02:38 AM   #40
Worf

Well, having an episode and a half left to go, I have to say those 7 episodes so far of season 5.5 are pretty damn good.

Marathon style rocks!

Edit:
A question - I get product placement, but why does Walt drive an Aztek for so long? Heck, there was a scene where Walt's rushing to see Gus and we see all the "beauty" shots typically reserved for car ads. But the Aztek sold poorly, was discontinued 3 years before BB began, and Pontiac died a couple of years after it started. I understand why Walt might drive one (being a high school teacher and all), but it seems odd to use it as if it was a product placement. What was up with that?
Old 09-29-2013, 05:18 AM   #41
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy

I think the Aztek was just used as the epitome of dork.
Old 09-29-2013, 09:42 AM   #42
bsnelson
I'm an Android, baby

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cearbhaill View Post
I think the Aztek was just used as the epitome of dork.
That, and what a great contrast to the bad-ass 300C SRT that he drove after the "transformation" was complete.

Brad
bsnelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 12:31 AM   #43
Worf

I still can't believe I decided to watch it all on Netflix and catch up on 5.5 in time for the finale... the hours between were the longest ever, though.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:29 PM   #44
waynomo
My One Time

Argh!

So made room on the TiVo. Moved a ton of stuff to different drives between 2 PCs so I could move programs off of the TiVo. I set up the season pass. I thought I removed all conflicts.

Turns out episodes 101 and 102 didn't record. I guess that was my fault. Turns out there was still a conflict.

Everything else recorded except I can't transfer 503 to my PC. It plays fine on the TiVo. It transfers just 162 KBs and stops. I tried doing it multiple different ways.

Anyway, thanks for the heads up about the marathon. I think we will muddle through somehow.

(And my wife enjoyed the pilot tonight so I think we will be watching this for a bit.)
waynomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 06:44 AM   #45
Jstkiddn
Fruit Loop Dingus

Do you have netflix or can you buy the missing episodes from amazon or iTunes?
Jstkiddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 04:22 PM   #46
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstkiddn View Post
Do you have netflix or can you buy the missing episodes from amazon or iTunes?
I'll get them one way or another. Probably try a torrent first.
waynomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 07:56 PM   #47
Idearat

I had never watched an episode so I thought I'd record the marathon. My Tivo caught all 62 episodes. But after the first one with AMC's annoying commercials and constant censoring of curse words I got fed up. (I don't need to hear the word, but the sound dropouts bug me ) Luckily I still have a month of free Netflix from buying my Chromecast so I'm watching them that way instead.

I'm up to S03E03 now. It's not as compelling as SOA or Justified, but it's Ok. Greatest show on TV as it was made out to be? I don't see it.
Idearat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 01:02 AM   #48
Worf

Yeah, it you watch it individually it's not that great. But binge it, and it's a lot better. There are a lot of episodes where it does nothing but set everything up for a future episode.

Breaking Bad is about actions and consequences, and even the most innocent action can reverberate down the road. Plus, season 3 is a bit slow, however the last 3-4 episodes things REALLY pick up again.

Everything's in the setup phase. Near the end is where the dominoes start falling. But that doesn't mean there aren't some entertaining diversions
Old 10-07-2013, 08:40 PM   #49
spartanstew
Thanks 4 the Update

Halfway through the first season.
Old 10-08-2013, 01:02 AM   #50
Craigbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartanstew View Post
Halfway through the first season.
You and me both.
Old 10-16-2013, 05:29 PM   #51
janry

The joy of retirement. I spent the past what? 3 weeks? watching every episode. Just finished the last one. Probably the best thing I have ever watched on TV.

Well Done!
janry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 05:52 PM   #52
gigaguy

I'm laid off, but did the same. saw the whole thing in a few weeks. Great story, characters, and acting. the violence and drug plot had kept me away before, but well done. It's in my top 10 I guess.

I think I need to rewatch BB at some point, due to the rushed nature I did this time. I was trying, for some weird reason, to get the finale to watch it live. I was about an hour behind, but it was a great ride. Jesse was my favorite.
gigaguy is offline   Reply With Quote