Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-24-2013, 02:52 PM   #31
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by aindik View Post
In other words, you have problems with channels overtly marketed to men, but not with channels overtly marketed to women?

If they had merged Bravo and Style and called it Style, instead of calling it Bravo, would you have reacted differently and if so why?
I have a problem with channels which are overtly marketed to men OR women when it results in crappy programming that someone put on the air because they perceived that "the market will like that". I'd rather they focus on the quality of the programming.

All the gender crap aside, surely you guys can understand how annoying it is when something you are watching gets cancelled and replaced with something else. Maybe there will be good stuff on the something else channel, but you don't know that until it comes along.

There wasn't a lot of stuff on Style I watched, but there were a couple of shows they had which I really liked. One was a show that has already been cancelled, that I didn't get to see on its first run, because my Cablecard was screwed up, and I wasn't getting Style. I caught one repeat, and set up a SP, just in case they ran more repeats. Maybe they'll do re-runs of the show on the new network, but maybe not. One of the other shows I liked was really girly, and it ended its run last December, so I doubt it'll be back on Esquire.

Bravo is a particularly bad choice to pick for your question, because I'm still POed about NBC screwing up the old Bravo. Remember the original Bravo, with the focus on the performing arts?

There are things I do like about the current Bravo, but there is also a lot of rubbish.

Nothing has really changed, because no matter what channel it is, I have to cherry-pick out the one or two programs that I like, out of all the crap.

It's just annoying to have a TV exec come along and say outright, we're totally changing the channel you watched, but you're welcome to stick around and fish out the one or two things you might want to watch.
Old 09-24-2013, 02:53 PM   #32
MonsterJoe
salty meat-poles

Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroyd View Post
All the gender crap aside, surely you guys can understand how annoying it is when something you are watching gets cancelled and replaced with something else. Maybe there will be good stuff on the something else channel, but you don't know that until it comes along..

...if you had led with that...
MonsterJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 03:00 PM   #33
aindik

Bravo and Style weren't always co owned. One was owned by NBC and the other by Comcast. Bravo was altered by NBC in the manner you describe. Later, Comcast bought NBC. At that point, one of those two networks became superfluous in view of the existence of the other one. So they trashed it and changed into something else, seeking an audience no other channel in their portfolio was seeking.

I don't see anything remarkable or even surprising about any of the above.

And it wouldn't shock me to see reruns of the Style shows on Bravo or on E!

Would you rather the guy said screw you, women, go watch something else?
aindik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 03:02 PM   #34
cannonz

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambertman View Post
This "guy" channel has a lot of Project Runway and Sex & the City on its schedule.
I saw that when I looked at guide thought even though name changed they must still be showing Style's info, but is their shows.
cannonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 03:15 PM   #35
dwit

"Wish List alert"

Don't forget to record "A Boy and His Dog".

Due up in a few days on TCM!

Seriously, it is due.
Toshiba sdh400 r.i.p.

Last edited by dwit : 09-25-2013 at 04:28 PM.
dwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 04:24 PM   #36
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
As I learned in one of my classes in college, although 18-49 "adults" is considered the "key demo," within that *women* are often the more desirable of the genders, as they are often the brand deciders, not to mention also often in control of household finances. (Edit: although it sounds stereotypical, women also tend to do more of the family shopping than men do, adding to the appeal of marketing to that demo.)
And, hence, the mess that is the current main network Olympic coverage that ignores live programming so they can build drama around gymnastics that are tape delayed (and delayed) and swimming. Thank god that they added the cable channels for real coverage of most sports.
Old 09-25-2013, 11:19 PM   #37
Inundated
Face For Radio

Viacom's rebranding of Spike TV, the former TNN/The Nashville Network, was littered with overt attempts to grab the young male audience. The place almost had a sign on a treehouse saying "No Girlz Allowed".

Then, they found and aired a certain popular reality TV parody show that got a lot of TCF fans, many of them women.

I saw the popular thread about the show here and tuned to the show, on a network I would previously skip so fast I couldn't even see the logo. (I'm a bit old for the original target audience.)

It was a hit and spawned two sequels, one airing just this past year.

Yeah, there were concessions to trying to get the "young guy" audience. There were women in bikinis, and one character in season two had very obvious enhancement surgery...obvious because they stood her behind a lot of other characters in shots. (We called that, at the time, a blatant attempt to keep the WWE audience that came from the previous wrasslin' show.)

Again, despite all this, despite the over-the-top young-belching-horny-male branding, a lot of us watched this show, despite being too old or female.

What does this have to do with the Esquire Network? I don't know, but I stumbled onto that rebranded network since it's on TWC's online live channel list. It appeared to me that it would still have a lot of shows that would supposedly appeal to female viewers (i.e. "Sex and the City") despite the "male branding".
Inundated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 04:48 PM   #38
laria
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inundated View Post
I thought that was going to be a link to MXC, which was awesome.
Old 09-26-2013, 04:54 PM   #39
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Well, this shows in my guide now, but never got the notification from the TiVo. The logo is still for Style Channel, too. Had that same issue with Fox Soccer going to FXX. Old logo stuck around for a while.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jsmeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 09:43 PM   #40
Inundated
Face For Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by laria View Post
I thought that was going to be a link to MXC, which was awesome.
Nope, though it ran at about the same time, and I recall seeing promos for it...
Old 09-29-2013, 09:47 PM   #41
Inundated
Face For Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmeeker View Post
Well, this shows in my guide now, but never got the notification from the TiVo. The logo is still for Style Channel, too. Had that same issue with Fox Soccer going to FXX. Old logo stuck around for a while.
I believe FXX is still in the old Fox Soccer channel position on TWC here...right near Fox Sports 1 (ex-Speed).

Esquire is near the Cooking Channel and the DIY Network here. I have no idea if they moved it after it changed from Style.