TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-23-2013, 03:56 PM   #4471
philhu
User Since Day ONE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapm View Post
Do a search for a program called "metegenerator" and see if that's what you need.
Metagenerator is a great program, but I think he is looking for an automated, as in 1000's at a time, system.
Tivo (S2-retired, 500gb HD, 2 units)
TivoHD (2tb HD, chip mod, 2 units)
Tivo Premiere (2tb HD)
Tivo Premiere4 (2tb (JMFS) HD)
philhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 04:03 PM   #4472
Wil
Senile Member

Quote:
Do a search for a program called "metegenerator" and see if that's what you need.
Thanks.

Metagenerator is certainly the TYPE of program I am asking about, and I have tried it. Great for TV episodes. But movie searches seem to use only Netflix and TheMovieDB, so many of my movies are not found.

Also there is a file naming format issue, looks like I would have to rename all my files. I'm still working on that but even if I figure that out there's still Metagenerator's limited search sources.

But again, that's exactly the kind of program I'm looking for; thanks.
Wil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 06:26 PM   #4473
windracer
joined the 10k club

I think I used ThumbGen back when I was trying to initially populate all of my metadata files in an automated fashion (with cover art). Now, since I'm only adding one or two at a time, I use Metagenerator.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 08:15 PM   #4474
Wil
Senile Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by windracer View Post
I think I used ThumbGen back when I was trying to initially populate all of my metadata files in an automated fashion
I hadn't run across ThumbGen. It recognizes my file names as-is: Moviename (YYYY) - Director Name misc info.mkv

It has lots of sources, though I'm having trouble configuring it to draw from IMDB. I'll work on it; this looks like it.

Thanks.
Old 09-24-2013, 01:31 AM   #4475
Soapm

Quote:
Originally Posted by philhu View Post
Metagenerator is a great program, but I think he is looking for an automated, as in 1000's at a time, system.
There is an auto process button at the bottom, I thought it took care of lots of movies but I've not had reason to try it.

Glad to see you got something since I know how it is getting your naming convention just right. I had to rename all my shows when I started using Plex. If you click on the setting tab you can make the template about anything you like which then names your shows as you like.
Soapm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 05:10 AM   #4476
Wil
Senile Member

Quote:
There is an auto process button at the bottom, I thought it took care of lots of movies
Yeah. It worked well on some batch tests, but only if I renamed the files; I'm not going to do that. More significantly, with Netflix and TheMovieDB only, that's not enough coverage.

Quote:
Glad to see you got something since I know how it is getting your naming convention just right. I had to rename all my shows when I started using Plex.
Plex just happened to like the way I was naming my movies and TV episodes anyway. As I recall, it would take the film file without the year but there are too many films with the same name so I like the year in the filename.

I'm liking ThumbGen. The only difficulty is getting some kind of balance between IMDB and other sources. The theory of it seems to be that you can use TheMovieDB as primary and have IMDB fill in blanks, but it doesn't seem to work unless you do it manually one file at a time. The only way I can get IMDB to cut in at all in bulk processing mode is to disable the primary. That's too bad because TheMovieDB is a little more forgiving.

I'm sure this is user error and I'll get it all figured out. Several hundred movies done just in the experimenting/learning process.

I've noticed I've had to change the years on several movie files to get them to "take" in ThumbGen. Off by one, probably year of production vs. year of release. Going to be interesting to see how Plex reacts to that, as it always seemed pretty picky about the year, if it was in the name, being exactly what it wanted to see or it wouldn't take.

I'm very grateful for the help here.
Old 09-24-2013, 08:30 AM   #4477
windracer
joined the 10k club

Yeah, it's been a while but I seem to remember ThumbGen being "fiddly" but at least it was able to index large chunks of my video library at a time and then I manually took care of the outliers. Glad it's working for you.

|
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 02:23 PM   #4478
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Wil, if Metagenerator could source from IMDB would it serve your purposes?

I'm the (current) programmer of MG3 (Metagenerator Version 3). Up til now, it hasn't sourced from IMDB due to a comination of legal and technical factors. However I've found there is a free web service (mymovieapi.com) that will provide the IMDB data, free, easy and legal.

MG3 does have an automatic movie processing feature that can do an entire folder and optionally all subfolders. It uses the file name as the key for source searches. I just tested a query using the example file name you gave (Casablanca + etc.) and the search succeeded. (Surprising actually)

If you wish to discuss this further, it might be preferable to use the MG3 thread on the pyTivo forum, rather than cluttering up this thread:
http://pytivo.sourceforge.net/forum/...n-3-t1786.html

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 04:20 PM   #4479
Soapm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wil View Post
Plex just happened to like the way I was naming my movies and TV episodes anyway. As I recall, it would take the film file without the year but there are too many films with the same name so I like the year in the filename..
Wait, if Plex likes the file then why are you renaming them? I don't think pyTivo cares how you name the files, there is a separate text file with all the info it needs. As long as the video and that text file have the same name (except the .txt on the text file) then from what I can see it works just fine.

If you have files not being recognized then it's probably the encoding and not the name of the file.

This is my movie template from metagenerator "{title} {movieyear}". As you can see, i name them like you. The name and year...
Old 09-24-2013, 04:46 PM   #4480
Soapm

Copy protection with pytivo...

When I pull a certain movie to my hacked, encryption disabled TivoHD I found I can pull it back off the tivo if I chose using kmttg.
If I push the same movie to the Tivo using pytivo's web interface I notice it's copy protected.

What would case it to be copy protected if I push instead of pull?
Old 09-24-2013, 04:51 PM   #4481
moyekj

Quote:
What would case it to be copy protected if I push instead of pull?
It's always been that way. Anything that has to go through mind.tivo.com is copy protected.
That's way these days you are better off having "ts=on" in pyTivo config and doing pulls instead to avoid that issue. Pushes are no longer necessary to preserve H.264 videos.

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 05:59 PM   #4482
caddyroger

I am trying to do pull from my Elite tivo. I can push ok but pull I can not do. I had a NCIS set to pull for the last 15 mins but nothing is happening yet. It still at Initiating Transfer
Please Wait. What could the cause of this?
I usually use kmttg but at about 3gb it stops. I tried ps and ts mode.
Old 09-26-2013, 02:39 PM   #4483
djl25
C64 hacker

Switched to Mac, can't use .meta folder

Is there a workaround for the .meta directory on Mountain Lion? Folders that start with a period are difficult to create, and are invisible once you do.
djl25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 04:31 PM   #4484
djl25
C64 hacker

Launching pyTivo at startup

I'm new to the Mac world, and am having trouble adjusting, evidently... I followed the instructions at http://pytivo.sourceforge.net/wiki/i...c_OS_X_Install regarding Mac OS X 10.6 and up. Created the plist file and moved it to /Library/LaunchDaemons, etc. It works perfectly once, but if I power down the machine pyTivo does not restart. I also tried Lingon X to create the job, but had the exact same results. Any help from a Mac expert would be appreciated, I know I'm missing something small.
djl25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 04:42 PM   #4485
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by djl25 View Post
Is there a workaround for the .meta directory on Mountain Lion? Folders that start with a period are difficult to create, and are invisible once you do.
Don't know about Mac specifically but with Linux from command line you have to use "-a" option with ls to see files/dirs starting with a ".". Example: ls -al

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 06:15 PM   #4486
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
You don't need to use a .meta folder at all -- the metadata .txt files can sit beside their corresponding video files in the same directory.

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 06:40 PM   #4487
Wil
Senile Member

Quote:
As stated you don't NEED the .meta folder.

But if you like to use that folder to control the clutter, use something like TinkerTool to temporarily make invisible files visible. Create your .meta folder and an alias to it, named meta (or whatever you want). Restore to normal and while .meta becomes invisible, meta remains visible and can be freely used.

Some backup programs may not back up your .meta folder; check to make sure.
Old 09-27-2013, 08:29 PM   #4488
cherry ghost

Did the most recent update change how _tivo_ shares are handled? The shares show on my TiVo, but when selected I get "PC NowPlaying List could not be displayed because it's unavailable." If I allow all shares, everything works fine.

Code:
ERROR:pyTivo:Exception during request from ('192.168.0.101', 50945)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Python27\lib\SocketServer.py", line 582, in process_request_thread
    self.finish_request(request, client_address)
  File "C:\Python27\lib\SocketServer.py", line 323, in finish_request
    self.RequestHandlerClass(request, client_address, self)
  File "E:\pytivoapp\httpserver.py", line 91, in __init__
    client_address, server)
  File "C:\Python27\lib\SocketServer.py", line 638, in __init__
    self.handle()
  File "C:\Python27\lib\BaseHTTPServer.py", line 340, in handle
    self.handle_one_request()
  File "C:\Python27\lib\BaseHTTPServer.py", line 328, in handle_one_request
    method()
  File "E:\pytivoapp\httpserver.py", line 124, in do_GET
    self.handle_query(query, tsn)
  File "E:\pytivoapp\httpserver.py", line 177, in handle_query
    if self.do_command(query, command, basepath, tsn):
  File "E:\pytivoapp\httpserver.py", line 156, in do_command
    method(self, query)
  File "E:\pytivoapp\plugins\video\video.py", line 408, in QueryContainer
    force_alpha = container.getboolean('force_alpha')
AttributeError: 'dict' object has no attribute 'getboolean'

cherry ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 09:56 PM   #4489
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry ghost View Post
Did the most recent update change how _tivo_ shares are handled?
More like, failed to change that, while changing the general (nothing specified) case. (And, it was the August 15th update.) Sorry about that. Try it now.

Old 09-27-2013, 10:11 PM   #4490
cherry ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
More like, failed to change that, while changing the general (nothing specified) case. (And, it was the August 15th update.) Sorry about that. Try it now.

No problem, thanks for the fix!
cherry ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 02:52 PM   #4491
ehagberg

Roamio and music?

I've got a music share set up using pyTivo and it works fine with my Tivo HD, but when I select the same share from my Roamio (plus) it first gives an error that nothing is being shared (or something to that effect) and then when I hit select to go back, the Roamio has a crash/restart.

Anyone else having this problem or am I just lucky?
ehagberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 12:06 AM   #4492
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehagberg View Post
I've got a music share set up using pyTivo and it works fine with my Tivo HD, but when I select the same share from my Roamio (plus) it first gives an error that nothing is being shared (or something to that effect) and then when I hit select to go back, the Roamio has a crash/restart.

Anyone else having this problem or am I just lucky?
Works for me.

Is this a brand-new (as in, only a few days old) Roamio?

Can you see what it says on the pyTivo side (console output or log)?

Old 10-28-2013, 12:24 AM   #4493
mattack

Quote:
I've heard of this but have yet to observe it. Maybe because my Premiere is connected via component? I dunno.

We could add a throttle to pyTivo, I guess. It's just contrary to the spirit of everything we've ever done.

P.S. MPEG2 transfers should be the same speed, push or pull...
Yeah, I just transferred an episode of Survivor back to my Premiere 4, and couldn't play the episode of Amazing Race while it was transferring. it was SO stuttery and lost audio...

This was in transport stream (so I get captions back)... first time I've used pytivo directly, previously I only used the one built into the GUI PyTivoX.. (and I couldn't figure out how to hack transport stream config into that one.)

Interestingly, I always thought the Tivo gave priority to recording then playback, and things like transfers behind that... guess not.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:46 PM   #4494
mattack

...and I actually ended up causing my Premiere 4 to reboot either 2-3 times (I forget) while doing this.. and only one show actually had captions on it after being transferred back.

So I gave up and went back to pyTivoX and transferred to my TivoHD, which worked just fine (but much slower, but still faster than I could watch, since it's a SD recording), and captions worked fine.

Is there something else I need to do? All I did was download the 64 bit ffmpeg for os x binary, set up the location in the pytivo config file, and add ts=on, or whatever the exact setting was noted in another place.. (it did make transfers much faster, so it seemed to work in that case, just not for captions most of the time).
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 05:08 PM   #4495
lpwcomp

Finally got a new machine* - running Win 8 (not my choice). Using latest 64-bit ffmpeg, I get the following error when trying to Push an HD 16:9 recording to a TiV0 2:

Code:
Unrecognized option 'padtop'.
Error splitting the argument list: Option not found
I assume this is the for the conversion of 16:9 to a letterboxed 4:3 picture.

* I still have the old one running Win2K. Plan to eventually turn it into a Linux machine.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 08:32 PM   #4496
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
Code:
Unrecognized option 'padtop'.
Error splitting the argument list: Option not found
Upgrade your pyTivo. I don't even have the "padtop" code in my fork anymore, and it hasn't been the only option since March 2011 -- although perhaps the version check is failing in your case? Anyway, even the version check is gone, since September.

Old 11-06-2013, 10:50 PM   #4497
lpwcomp

Quote:
Upgrade your pyTivo. I don't even have the "padtop" code in my fork anymore, and it hasn't been the only option since March 2011 -- although perhaps the version check is failing in your case? Anyway, even the version check is gone, since September.
That fixed it. I have no idea how the version of pyTivo I was running got so out of date.

Old 11-07-2013, 03:47 PM   #4498
David Platt
Manually-adjusted

TC CLUB MEMBER
Has anybody noted any issues with running PyTivo on a premiere with the new Fall software update? Everything transferred since the update doesn't have sound, and folders aren't displaying properly (everything is displaying in one long list). I uninstalled and re-installed PyTivo using the latest build since it had been a while since I updated, but no luck; still no folders and no sound.

ETA: okay, after a little further testing, only mkv files have no sound.

Last edited by David Platt : 11-07-2013 at 04:01 PM.
David Platt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 04:30 PM   #4499
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Platt View Post
Has anybody noted any issues with running PyTivo on a premiere with the new Fall software update? Everything transferred since the update doesn't have sound, and folders aren't displaying properly (everything is displaying in one long list).

I uninstalled and re-installed PyTivo using the latest build since it had been a while since I updated, but no luck; still no folders and no sound.
For the folder problem, try entering a "2" while a share is displayed.

Not experiencing any sound problems.

The oddity I've seen:

The initial "Video Format" of any recording transferred to the TiVo is "1080p (24fps)"

Old 11-07-2013, 05:26 PM   #4500
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Platt View Post
ETA: okay, after a little further testing, only mkv files have no sound.
Are you sure these same files played correctly before the update? Not the same type of files, but the exact same files? Can you show me the log of a transfer with this result?