Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-26-2013, 10:43 AM   #1
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Lucky 7 9/24/2013 (S01E01) "Pilot"

Another US ripoff of a UK series ("The Syndicate").

Apparently we're all still too stupid to understand what a "syndicate" is vs. a "lottery pool."

They work at a gas station now, not a grocery store. But the gas station is going to get sold to a chain, just like the grocery store was. Pitiful they can't even be bothered to come up with their own ideas. Even the characters are the same... a set of brothers (even in the same situations), an overweight woman... blah blah blah blah.

Season pass deleted.

If you think you might like the story, go get the UK version. History says that if this even makes it to the season finale without being canceled, the UK version will still be better.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 11:02 AM   #2
TIVO_GUY_HERE
I miss the ocean

+1 season pass deleted.

Wasn't terrible, but I was bored, and ended up doing other things while it was on.
TIVO_GUY_HERE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 11:04 AM   #3
2004raptor

Watched it last night. Never heard of The Syndicate.

Although it did seem like i remembered another tv show about a bunch of people that were lottery winners.

Anyway, when it saw the thread title I immediately thought there's no good reason for an episode thread. This thread should cover the entire series...because the show won't last very long.
2004raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 11:54 AM   #4
gweempose

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004raptor View Post

Although it did seem like I remembered another TV show about a bunch of people that were lottery winners ...
You're thinking of Windfall:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0483536/...nm_flmg_act_10

That show never made it past it's original 13 episode run. I doubt this one will either.
(3) Minis

gweempose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:13 PM   #5
Hoffer
Captain Chaos

I read about this show like a week ago and was kinda interested. Then I saw a couple bad reviews and that was reason enough to stop the show from even being recorded.
Old 09-26-2013, 03:26 PM   #6
astrohip
Stuart F

For me, it wasn't that bad. It kept me watching the entire time, which is more than I can say for several other premiere week pilots. But the writing was weak, the acting only ok. No super dumb moments, but nothing to grab one's fancy.

I'd give it a "C".
astrohip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 10:16 AM   #7
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

I watched the first episode and saw a glimmer of potential but based on the previews they showed at the end of the episode it did not look like they were going to capitalize on them.

Besides there was one moment in the previews for upcoming episodes that look really BAD

Spoiler:
"You Lost The Ticket"! - I am guessing that, unless they are doing a jumping timeline that the ticket had already been collected by the lottery agents since they trotted them out in front of the press.

Old 09-27-2013, 10:32 AM   #8
gigaguy

I thought it was ok. I'll watch a few more and see. I saw in the opening credits that Spielberg is a producer. wonder why they didn't promote that.
gigaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 10:47 AM   #9
gweempose

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigaguy View Post

I thought it was ok. I'll watch a few more and see.
Based on the abysmal ratings, "a few more" may be all you'll get.
(3) Minis

gweempose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 09:34 AM   #10
gchance
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow View Post
Another US ripoff of a UK series ("The Syndicate").

Apparently we're all still too stupid to understand what a "syndicate" is vs. a "lottery pool."

They work at a gas station now, not a grocery store. But the gas station is going to get sold to a chain, just like the grocery store was. Pitiful they can't even be bothered to come up with their own ideas. Even the characters are the same... a set of brothers (even in the same situations), an overweight woman... blah blah blah blah.

Season pass deleted.

If you think you might like the story, go get the UK version. History says that if this even makes it to the season finale without being canceled, the UK version will still be better.
Are you saying you don't like it because it was based on a UK series?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Lucky 7 is an American drama television series that premiered on September 24, 2013 on ABC as part of the 2013–14 American television season. The one-hour series is based on the British television show The Syndicate, which was created by Kay Mellor.[1] ABC placed a series order on May 10, 2013.
I quite enjoyed it, and other than its "Lostness" (large cast with many personal stories to tell) it's sort of a throwback show. This seems like a show my whole family could watch. Since I haven't seen the UK series, having them work at a gas station vs. a supermarket doesn't bother me at all.

Greg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|

5k:
10k:
13.1M
26.2M
gchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 10:16 AM   #11
sharkster

I rather enjoyed it, too. I didn't know anything of it being based on a UK series. I mostly tuned in, initially, because I like the blonde actress (from Bomb Girls).

I found it to have more going on than I expected. Some of the backstories were compelling. I found myself interested in what happens to these people. Classic tv? No, but not the worst thing I've seen even just this year.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 11:44 AM   #12
stellie93

I watched this with the idea that I would hate it, but it wasn't that bad. I'm in for now.
stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 11:47 AM   #13
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by gchance View Post
Are you saying you don't like it because it was based on a UK series?

I quite enjoyed it, and other than its "Lostness" (large cast with many personal stories to tell) it's sort of a throwback show. This seems like a show my whole family could watch. Since I haven't seen the UK series, having them work at a gas station vs. a supermarket doesn't bother me at all.
I'm saying it was a non-original, unnecessary waste of money remaking something perfectly fine in its own right, with changes for the US audience that do little but make the whole thing worse, overall. It certainly was no work of literature to begin with, but the characters became more caricatures of their original version in the US remake, and they generously ladled on some extra stupid sauce on each of them as well.

Nothing about the US version is better than the UK version. And nothing in the UK version would preclude it simply being aired as-is on US television.

Old 09-30-2013, 08:45 AM   #14
Flop

Just got around to "watching" this. I ended up FF'ing through most of it to see if it got any better. It never did. I just never got interested in any of these cliched characters. SP deleted.
Flop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 05:53 PM   #15
gchance
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Nothing about the US version is better than the UK version. And nothing in the UK version would preclude it simply being aired as-is on US television.
When was the last time you saw a network (not cable/sat) run a UK series without changes? I don't doubt the original was good, but American viewers would just complain that they can't understand the accents.

Greg

|
|
|

5k:
10k:
13.1M
26.2M
Old 09-30-2013, 06:08 PM   #16
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
When was the last time you saw a network (not cable/sat) run a UK series without changes? I don't doubt the original was good, but American viewers would just complain that they can't understand the accents.
Downton Abbey?
Merlin?
Masterpiece Theater?
The Avengers?

Funny thing is this list of American series that are based on UK series is like a list of flops, with very few exceptions, most of which are reality shows, strangely enough.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...evision_series

Changes are fine. Stupid changes just for the sake of making a change are stupid.

Old 09-30-2013, 07:55 PM   #17
mrdazzo7

I caught some of this because I had recorded Shield earlier so it was there when I turned the TV on... I love ensemble stories and it seemed like it had a lot of potential but I don't think I could sit through a whole show with acting that bad. It was just rough. I actually thought the show was set it Boston because of the brothers' accent until the drawing scene said New York Lottery, lol. Is the "good" brother's character supposed to be FROM Boston, or is he actually trying to do a New York accent?
Old 10-01-2013, 07:09 AM   #18
gchance
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Downton Abbey?
Merlin?
Masterpiece Theater?
I suppose I misspoke. BIG networks, PBS can hardly be considered with ABC, NBC, CBS, & Fox.

Quote:
The Avengers?
That was probably the last time: 1968. You think audience tastes may have changed in that time?

Quote:
Changes are fine. Stupid changes just for the sake of making a change are stupid.
I do agree with you there, although I would say if you're making a US version of a show, it might be a good idea to call it a "lottery". I'd never heard of "syndicate" used in that fashion until you wrote it above.

Greg

|
|
|

5k:
10k:
13.1M
26.2M
Old 10-01-2013, 12:01 PM   #19
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
I suppose I misspoke. BIG networks, PBS can hardly be considered with ABC, NBC, CBS, & Fox.
Merlin aired on NBC.
http://www.nbc.com/merlin/

Old 10-01-2013, 12:04 PM   #20
gchance
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Merlin aired on NBC.
http://www.nbc.com/merlin/
Yeah, but that's a "period piece".

Greg

|
|
|

5k:
10k:
13.1M
26.2M
Old 10-04-2013, 06:02 PM   #21
Tivortex
Cherished Member

Good call Doug, it's gone.