Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-23-2013, 04:17 PM   #61
bob61

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
Not after the amp, but before the amp could kill the MoCA
Everything on the Coax is after the amp, have the amp just to make sure that the phone and internet line run to the modem has a solid signal (may not need it, but it's been there for 7 years and never caused a problem). Guess I'll see if the 1.2Ghz solves the problem. Thanks.
bob61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:01 PM   #62
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob61 View Post
Everything on the Coax is after the amp, have the amp just to make sure that the phone and internet line run to the modem has a solid signal (may not need it, but it's been there for 7 years and never caused a problem). Guess I'll see if the 1.2Ghz solves the problem. Thanks.
Does the amp have a built in splitter such that the amp has say four outputs, if so than your problem may be the cable amp internal amp splitter, this is the amp I am using for my working MoCA setup. The internal splitter works great with MoCA.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Old 09-24-2013, 11:44 PM   #63
a1tiguy

I finally have my network up and running but am having problems streaming from one to another...all three units see each other and the content on each machine, but when I start to stream, I get the "Lost Connection" error screen...I dont believe I have a fault with the way in which the coax is connected, although I'd like to verify with someone the way in which I did it with the TAs involved...is the ability to stream in any way a function of my Airport router??
a1tiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 01:50 AM   #64
BigJimOutlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1tiguy View Post
I finally have my network up and running but am having problems streaming from one to another...all three units see each other and the content on each machine, but when I start to stream, I get the "Lost Connection" error screen...I dont believe I have a fault with the way in which the coax is connected, although I'd like to verify with someone the way in which I did it with the TAs involved...is the ability to stream in any way a function of my Airport router??
Well, let's double-check the wiring.

The moca adapter at the router and modem (set as host) should be connected in this way:

Then for the Tivos themselves that are using moca adapters, since you have TA's, the coax behind the Tivo(s) should have a splitter...

One leg of the splitter goes to the TA, and then the USB goes to the Tivo. Don't use the TA's RF out for anything.

The other leg of the splitter goes to the moca adapter (set as client) and both the RF out and the ethernet on the moca adapter go to the Tivo.

Is this how it's set up?

Last edited by BigJimOutlaw : 09-25-2013 at 01:59 AM.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:08 AM   #65
a1tiguy

No, I had the coax at the wall split three ways and one going to the tivo...I'll change that this morning to your config...I should have mentioned that one of my XL's is at the modem location and I've got the cable split at the wall (again) three ways and am delivering a signal directly to the tivo with an ethernet cable to the modem...does it make a difference whether it goes to the modem or the router??..that's a simple fix, if it does...I appreciate your help here!..I've been wrestling with this for days! Terry
Old 09-25-2013, 09:58 AM   #66
a1tiguy

Hey, BigJim, that did the trick!...I have tried streaming from different units to different units and I've got one glitch but that may just be a reboot issue at one machine...I'll play around with that one later...otherwise they all connect to Tivo when I force a connect and they all see one another, so I'm set!...thanks for your help!
Old 09-25-2013, 10:46 AM   #67
a1tiguy

Well, I spoke too soon...about an hour later, I want to show my wife how please with myself a I am, so I go to show her how she'll NOW be able to watch something from the DVR in the office, and I'm now getting "your network is too slow, try ethernet cabling, etc) error screen...it's beyond how it would work earlier and now it's back to being buggy...any thoughts??
Old 09-25-2013, 01:18 PM   #68
jmpage2

Well, it is possible that your MoCA network actually IS too slow to reliably run video over it. In your shoes I would probably contact TiVo and find out what kind of speed test the Mini/Roamio are doing that is resulting in that error coming up.

You could also have a MoCA adapter on a cable leg that is running at a really slow speed. You could set up a file share on a PC that is on the main leg of the network and then plug a laptop into each MoCA ethernet adapter and do a file transfer and see what kind of speeds you are getting. To handle full 1080i HD signals (being sent directly as MPEG2) I believe that you need somewhere around 25-50megabit/s transfer speeds, which means that your MoCA setup will have to be performing close to the speeds of 100megabit switched ethernet.... and do it reliably.

As another test you can plug the Mini that was having that problem directly into the main router (just move it there and plug it into the same TV on a different HDMI port) and see if the problems disappear.

MoCA is hit or miss. In my experience the integrated MoCA adapters in the TiVos works very well on the newer coax in my home. I have never had any speed issues with the Minis, but then again, they are the only MoCA devices that I have and I am using the Roamio as the ethernet bridge.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 02:11 PM   #69
BigJimOutlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1tiguy View Post
No, I had the coax at the wall split three ways and one going to the tivo...I'll change that this morning to your config...I should have mentioned that one of my XL's is at the modem location and I've got the cable split at the wall (again) three ways and am delivering a signal directly to the tivo with an ethernet cable to the modem...does it make a difference whether it goes to the modem or the router??..that's a simple fix, if it does...I appreciate your help here!..I've been wrestling with this for days! Terry
If a Tivo has a direct ethernet connection to the router, that's fine. (ethernet is always the grade-A standard.) The setup I was etching out was just for those you're using a moca connection with, to make sure the TA isn't interfering with the moca.

Any ideas about the age of the splitters? Are they rated to at least 1000MHz (1GHz)? If they're particularly old, they might be worth replacing (ideally to something higher, like 1.5 GHz or 2.4 GHz are common.)

Quick and dirty diagnostic check:

On the Tivos using moca, go into Settings > Network > View Network Status. Are there any "Peer Nodes" with a PHY Rate under 200 mbps? If there are, there could be quality issues with certain splitter/coax lines. General rule of thumb is to have a 200+ PHY rate. If there's a specific node that's problematic that might narrow things down.

Last edited by BigJimOutlaw : 09-25-2013 at 02:26 PM.
Old 09-25-2013, 03:31 PM   #70
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimOutlaw View Post
If a Tivo has a direct ethernet connection to the router, that's fine. (ethernet is always the grade-A standard.) The setup I was etching out was just for those you're using a moca connection with, to make sure the TA isn't interfering with the moca.

Any ideas about the age of the splitters? Are they rated to at least 1000MHz (1GHz)? If they're particularly old, they might be worth replacing (ideally to something higher, like 1.5 GHz or 2.4 GHz are common.)

Quick and dirty diagnostic check:

On the Tivos using moca, go into Settings > Network > View Network Status. Are there any "Peer Nodes" with a PHY Rate under 200 mbps? If there are, there could be quality issues with certain splitter/coax lines. General rule of thumb is to have a 200+ PHY rate. If there's a specific node that's problematic that might narrow things down.
I don't think that's going to work for him because he doesn't appear (from his earlier description) to be using the MoCA adapters built into the TiVos. He appears to be using ActionTec MoCA adapters to simply extend his network over coax... which means there are a multitude of things that could be messed up in his setup.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 08:47 PM   #71
a1tiguy

Thanks to both of you for your ideas..this evening I've moved the Roamio (non-Moca) to the location where the modem/router is located...I have the Moca adaptor wired as per all the diagrams furnished by Tivo, and the Roamio gets the split coax setup to the TA and Tivo with the ethernet over to the router (Apple Express)...then my two Premier XL's are out there with Moca adaptors wired per BigJim's config (which I had goofed originally/didn't have the Moca output going to the Tivo)...interestingly, all the units function fine with regard to internet connectivity; I was streaming from Netflix earlier today on one of them...so the problem does seem to be the integrity of the network within the house..the house was built and roped in '96, so the coax isn't all that old...I could order some really good splitters and try that...otherwise, I believe I functionally have the network created properly, but may have to live without the bonus of being able to stream between them...in our previous condo, I had attic access so I ran Cat5 everywhere, brought everything into my iMac with Tivo transfer and Toast and really had a fun system..but the new house has high ceilings everywhere so ethernet is out of the question...thanks for your continued help...I'll keep watching for any thoughts you might have...Terry
Old 09-26-2013, 05:17 AM   #72
BigJimOutlaw

Splitters are $2 a pop so no big loss if it doesn't help. I'd check with the primary splitter at the point of entry first.

Speaking of which, I'm guessing you don't have a point of entry filter (POE filter) before the primary splitter? ($8 on ebay). This keeps the moca signal inside the home and might help strengthen it. (Reboot the moca adapters afterwards.)

Just throwing ideas out there.
Old 09-26-2013, 11:09 AM   #73
a1tiguy

Thanks, and I'll let you know what happens after Amazon gets here with my stuff!