TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-26-2013, 11:12 AM   #31
sfhub

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Is this capacitor issue supposed to affect the OLED S3 boxes? I still have two S3 boxes from 2006 that my girlfriend uses. When 1TB drives were first available in 2007 I put one in each of those boxes and that has been it. They have been running 24/7/365 so far without any issues.
The first sign of capacitor issues on both my S3 OLED units (1 year apart) were the analog svideo/composite output started getting flickers or flashes. The digitial HDMI output looked ok.

I only noticed because I have the analog outputs connected to slingbox, otherwise with just HDMI connected on the TVs I wouldn't have noticed for a while until the 2nd symptoms (around 4 months later) started, which is getting RS uncorrected errors on cablecard 2. Eventually these will progress to partial recordings.

After that, you may not be able to reboot anymore, unless you pull out cablecard 2.

If you let it sit for even longer, it'll just bootloop.
sfhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 10:57 AM   #32
HerronScott

Quote:
I won't be looking forward to that day. My GF will be pissed. I keep telling her to offload some shows she wants to keep to Tivodesktop but she hasn't
Yes, both of my S3 OLED power supplies (purchased December 2006 and January 2007) have had this issue although only 1 has had the power supply fail. Still waiting for some "downtime" to pre-emptively replace the caps in the second one.

It's a relatively easy and cheap issue to fix so not sure your girlfriend should be too worried about it.

Scott
HerronScott is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 06:41 PM   #33
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerronScott View Post
Yes, both of my S3 OLED power supplies (purchased December 2006 and January 2007) have had this issue although only 1 has had the power supply fail. Still waiting for some "downtime" to pre-emptively replace the caps in the second one.

It's a relatively easy and cheap issue to fix so not sure your girlfriend should be too worried about it.

Scott
She's not worried about it, it's me that is worried. Because I will get the flack from her boxes being down.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 06:44 PM   #34
sfhub

Quote:
She's not worried about it, it's me that is worried. Because I will get the flack from her boxes being down.
It probably takes an hour to pull the unit, unscrew everything, replace the caps, and put everything back together. Add an hour because it is your first time doing it.

She sleeps at least 6hrs right? What she doesn't know won't hurt her (or you).

Just don't F it up
sfhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 11:12 PM   #35
steve614
what ru lookin at?

You could always go the safe route and get refurbished power supplies online, and just have to do a simple swap.
Heck the GF could probably do that (I would think ).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 04:37 PM   #36
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
You could always go the safe route and get refurbished power supplies online, and just have to do a simple swap.
Heck the GF could probably do that (I would think ).
But if his girlfriend isn't into swapping it might be better not to ever mention the idea.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:16 PM   #37
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
I won't be looking forward to that day. My GF will be pissed. I keep telling her to offload some shows she wants to keep to Tivodesktop but she hasn't
And why should she? kmttg is better.