TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-25-2013, 05:43 PM   #1
jeffw_00

I missed Premiere of S.H.I.E.L.D due to 28 day rule, WTF?????

I previously set up a season pass for the new Marvel Agents of SHIELD. THe process went fine (and I believe I had to bump the priority of the SP to make sure it recorded).

The show was broadcast last night. Around 10:30 I went to watch it. IT WASN'T THERE. I went to Recording History - it skipped it "because it had already been recorded within the last 28 days"...

WTF?

Actually, I suspect I know what happened - the Marvel show may have some sort of ID code that erroneously mapped to something I already record. Doesn't make it any less painful. I changed the setting to "record everything (incl. duplicates)". But I'm really bummed, and now that much less distrustful of my TivoHD.

Did anyone else experience this? Was there any way to avoid it?

Thanks
/j

(Tivo owner since 1990)
jeffw_00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 06:08 PM   #2
pig_man

ABC to Repeat First Episode of 'Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.' Thursday September 26 at 8PM
pig_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 06:51 PM   #3
windracer
joined the 10k club

This probably isn't it, but you didn't accidentally set up an SP for Marvel's "Hulk and the Agents of S.M.A.S.H" did you? I only say that because I found that when I was trying to set up my for S.H.I.E.L.D some time ago.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 07:29 PM   #4
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffw_00 View Post
Did anyone else experience this? Was there any way to avoid it?
I had no issue with my SP picking up this episode.
The obvious answer regarding avoiding it is to pay some attention to the to do list especially when there is something new.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:03 PM   #5
jeffw_00

thank you for the repeat notice...looks like my Tivo already has it covered

I did not set up to record for that earlier show.

I assume that once something goes on the ToDo list it stays there. If the SW gets bad enough that I have to start checking the ToDo list, then it's time for a FiOS DVR. Here's hoping TiVo databases never get that bad.

Thanks all
/j
Old 09-25-2013, 10:59 PM   #6
rainwater

Quote:

I assume that once something goes on the ToDo list it stays there. If the SW gets bad enough that I have to start checking the ToDo list, then it's time for a FiOS DVR. Here's hoping TiVo databases never get that bad.

Thanks all
/j
It has nothing to do with the software but with the guide data. TiVo's are only as smart as the guide data. But they are also very cautious when it comes to determining whether to record something or not. If there is no original air date, it will always assume it is new. But if the air date is just plain wrong, then there is nothing TiVo can do if the air date is more than 28 days ago. However, this is an extremely rare occurrence. I have only seen it a few times since I have owned a TiVo (many many years).
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 11:22 PM   #7
rahnbo

Quote:

Thanks all
/j
Except for things you manually record and perhaps something else I can't think of right now your To Do list could potentially change with each and every guide update. It is rare for a mistake to occur but it will certainly occur on occasion as the guide data is only as good as the info it is given. I've only seen something happen like that perhaps once every 2 years over the past 10+ years and I doubt FiOS or any DVR is immune. Considering all the things that could go wrong from user error to all the things out of our control it is amazing that it works as well as it does.
rahnbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 11:29 PM   #8
aaronwt
HD Addict

The FiOS DVrs are having major issues now anyway. They recently switched guide data providers to the same one that TiVo uses. And many users have been complaining about shows not getting picked up to record that were scheduled with the old guide data provider. So people have had to create all new SPs with their FiOS DVRs to correct the issue. At least this is what I read.

I'm glad I have not had these issues with my Roamio.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 07:56 AM   #9
BobCamp1

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
The FiOS DVrs are having major issues now anyway. They recently switched guide data providers to the same one that TiVo uses. And many users have been complaining about shows not getting picked up to record that were scheduled with the old guide data provider. So people have had to create all new SPs with their FiOS DVRs to correct the issue. At least this is what I read.

I'm glad I have not had these issues with my Roamio.
You're blowing the problem out of proportion. I haven't had to change any of my series links. I've also found that Tribune provides more/better information, but FYI is more accurate. My Tivo will occasionally record a show it thinks is on when it really isn't. My FIOS DVR doesn't do that -- but maybe now it will start doing that!
BobCamp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 08:46 AM   #10
jeffw_00

sorry - when I said "SW" I was being general. I agree it's the guide data. With FiOS switching - it sounds like much of the country is dependent on one database. You would think the content programmers would get behind making sure it's really accurate, supplying real-time updates for live shows, etc., so their audience doesn't miss shows it wants to watch.

Last edited by jeffw_00 : 09-26-2013 at 10:11 AM.
Old 09-26-2013, 08:54 AM   #11
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobCamp1 View Post

You're blowing the problem out of proportion. I haven't had to change any of my series links. I've also found that Tribune provides more/better information, but FYI is more accurate. My Tivo will occasionally record a show it thinks is on when it really isn't. My FIOS DVR doesn't do that -- but maybe now it will start doing that!
I was only going by what I had read. My TiVos do not have issues recording what is on. If it recorded it, the recording has been correct.
Old 09-26-2013, 01:20 PM   #12
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
I assume that once something goes on the ToDo list it stays there.
What you are incorrectly assuming is that nothing ever changes, ever.
Old 09-26-2013, 11:15 PM   #13
aaronwt
HD Addict

That would be a pretty crappy DVR if once a recording was on the To Do List that it never changed. If I make a change to the SP list, the To DO list will start making changes right away. If the program is moved or removed from the guide the To Do list will change.
Old 09-27-2013, 12:43 AM   #14
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

I almost missed the repeat recording. My first recording was a little messed up because of a bad OTA signal so I decided to record the repeat two days later. This afternoon I was messing with adding cable clear QAM channels to see what I'd get. I decided to nix the idea so I had to repeat guided setup a second time and in the process the scheduled recording of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D was lost. I noticed its absence on the To Do List so I had to find the listing and schedule it again which was accomplished with less than 10 seconds to spare before the recording started.

Lesson: Check the TDL once in a while.