TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-24-2013, 06:33 PM   #31
mumpower

FWIW, I own both. From the situation you describe, the base model would probably work for you. What I can say from my own usage is that the difference between two feels dramatic to me, so much so that I almost returned the base unit after a few hours.
Old 09-24-2013, 08:19 PM   #32
leiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumpower View Post
FWIW, I own both. From the situation you describe, the base model would probably work for you. What I can say from my own usage is that the difference between two feels dramatic to me, so much so that I almost returned the base unit after a few hours.
The user interface should be the same right? Difference being limited to case esthetics? One thing that does interest me is fan noise. Can you compare? My xl4 is too loud for me. Another reason im trying to sell my xl4.
leiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:01 PM   #33
JasonD

I would say that the plus is definately worth it. Better to have a feature and not need it, then to need it and not have it
JasonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:07 PM   #34
ihtc

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
But if you lifetime your main Roamio it'll be worth a heck of a lot more in a couple years, regardless of any break even points.
I agree there . These are worthless without a lifetime . My premier I paid almost $300 after tax and a three year warranty just last year I see them selling for $40
ihtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:28 PM   #35
wolfskinbjc

how many tivo suggestions does the roamio use tuner wise?
Old 09-26-2013, 12:29 AM   #36
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfskinbjc View Post
how many tivo suggestions does the roamio use tuner wise?
As many as it wants to. Potentially all but one.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 02:35 PM   #37
mumpower

Quote:
Originally Posted by leiff View Post
The user interface should be the same right? Difference being limited to case esthetics? One thing that does interest me is fan noise. Can you compare? My xl4 is too loud for me. Another reason im trying to sell my xl4.
The base unit is smaller, and it seems very breakable because of that. Simply stated, it feels like a cheap piece of electronics, which is exactly what it is.
Old 09-26-2013, 03:18 PM   #38
apw2607

Quote:
The base unit is smaller, and it seems very breakable because of that. Simply stated, it feels like a cheap piece of electronics, which is exactly what it is.
I actually disagree. I prefer the style and look of the base Roamio over the plus/pro. The base just seems to work in terms of style and flow where as the plus/pro seems a bit of a Frankenstein design. On one hand you have the new look tivo front panel and on the other you have a very traditional case. I don't think the two go together very well.

Regardless though. Plastic or not, I don't see how a plastic outer shell is anymore unreliable than a traditional metal one. It just sits on a shelf?
apw2607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 03:40 PM   #39
mumpower

I cannot speak for anyone else. I am a power user who will eventually upgrade all of my Roamios to 3-4 TB storage. What I know after several days is that if one of the TiVos is somehow knocked to the ground from the entertainment stand (hello, fellow pet owners), the base unit is the one I am confident would not survive the plunge.

Also, I have already run into issues this week with the 4 tuners rather than 6. Thankfully, we can record up to 16 shows via our three Roamios so it was an issue corrected by the other devices. Long term, I'm going to move the base unit into the bedroom since I do the least amount of recording there so that I have access to 12 programs in the living room. There, it will be subjected to the most pet-related danger so I am glad I bought the Square Trade warranty.
Old 09-27-2013, 11:53 AM   #40
L David Matheny

Quote:
I cannot speak for anyone else. I am a power user who will eventually upgrade all of my Roamios to 3-4 TB storage. What I know after several days is that if one of the TiVos is somehow knocked to the ground from the entertainment stand (hello, fellow pet owners), the base unit is the one I am confident would not survive the plunge.
Being lighter, the 4-tuner base Roamio may be easier to knock off. But if such a fall should occur, I would be more worried about the hard drive surviving than about any possible damage to the case.
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 09:57 PM   #41
mumpower

That's a fair point. I will say that from having popped the hood to upgrade the drive in the base unit, I noticed that *everything* is a tight fit. So it wouldn't take much for something to get dislodged.