TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 199 votes, 4.98 average.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:22 PM   #361
Am_I_Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJguy View Post
I know the old saying....A watched pot never boils.....but ugh already. Still on NDS Card OS Ver: VGUARD3.0.7_F.p.0501 with build time of March, 3, 2011. Please update this Cablevision. profet, how long was it before you heard back from Cablevision after your FCC filing?
I agree...hope this is updated soon...
Am_I_Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 12:18 PM   #362
ACDCfn

CABLEVISION still hasn't update my card. This is B.S! They pushed update to the few lucky once on this blog but the rest of us could be stuck for a very long forseeble future. Don't buy that "update coming soon" at all. Been with cablevision for 7 years and many times before heard "next week" took 2 years. No joke! Was promised multi-room DVR by their higher ups many times as "next week" took them 2 years.
ACDCfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 12:41 PM   #363
Smirks
.:. Hello .:.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACDCfn View Post
CABLEVISION still hasn't update my card. This is B.S! They pushed update to the few lucky once on this blog but the rest of us could be stuck for a very long forseeble future. Don't buy that "update coming soon" at all. Been with cablevision for 7 years and many times before heard "next week" took 2 years. No joke! Was promised multi-room DVR by their higher ups many times as "next week" took them 2 years.
Woah, cowboy! Email Margret (margret@tivo.com) and see if she can get you added to the list of folks to have the new firmware pushed to early. She'll likely give your info to a fellow named Ed at Cablevision who will handle the actual code push.

We have the updated firmware because we were proactive and asked to get it. It didn't just happen automatically.
Smirks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 01:23 PM   #364
I WANT MORE

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post
514517-006-00 does not work with FiOS and Copy Protection, I would try to get a newer card from your provider. Do they have a Walk-In center? Try to get a 514517-012-00 or newer.
I was able to secure a 514517-017-00 today. Will report if it works on Friday when I get everything set up. Thanks again for the help.
I WANT MORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 07:37 PM   #365
ACDCfn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smirks View Post
Woah, cowboy! Email Margret (margret@tivo.com) and see if she can get you added to the list of folks to have the new firmware pushed to early. She'll likely give your info to a fellow named Ed at Cablevision who will handle the actual code push.

We have the updated firmware because we were proactive and asked to get it. It didn't just happen automatically.
I emailed TiVO Margret two days ago and no answer or update so far. If you or anyone else can share contact info for Ed or someone from CABLEVISION directly I would appreciate it. I don't want to be stuck waiting indefinitely. Here's my info:
TiVo Service Number: 84800019023971F
CableCard ID: 0-011-045-450-001
Host ID: 0-350-135-977-535

Can send my phone and address in private message if that helps
Old 09-25-2013, 08:59 PM   #366
NJguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACDCfn View Post
I emailed TiVO Margret two days ago and no answer or update so far. If you or anyone else can share contact info for Ed or someone from CABLEVISION directly I would appreciate it. I don't want to be stuck waiting indefinitely. Here's my info:
TiVo Service Number: 84800019023971F
CableCard ID: 0-011-045-450-001
Host ID: 0-350-135-977-535

Can send my phone and address in private message if that helps
I got a response back from Margaret in 20 minutes (thank you Margaret ). The unfortunate part of that was her answer: I will forward your information to Cablevision, but at this time Cablevision does not have updated firmware on the NDS cards to support all 6 tuners. Setting the Roamio to use 4 tuners is the best approach until they have an update available.

This is not Tivo's issue at all. I have to make a decision as to if I return this and go with my free year of crappy DVR service from Cablevision or have faith that they will fix this sooner rather than later. I did file a complaint with FCC since they offer up to 10 recordings at once on their own service so they should have all 6 tuners working on their NDS cablecards.
NJguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:07 PM   #367
ACDCfn

Margret finally got back to me asking my current version of cable card software so hoping she'll forward it to Cablevision. More waiting for now. NJ guy why do you have NDS card? I am with CABLEVISION in nj and have scientific Atlanta/Cisco card. Can't you exchange your card?
Old 09-25-2013, 10:16 PM   #368
HarperVision

OK here's where I'm at, as the last straw before I give up the TiVo and go to the HDHR prime and wash my hands of this. I did a bunch of diagnostics today and even took off work to do so. Everything, and I mean everything as far as signal levels, etc appear fine. I have FW 1.5.3_0601 on oceanic time warner. I dropped to 5 tuners and set 4 recordings for only SDV channels with cci of 0x02 (copy once). I started tuning to various other SDV channels using the one remaining tuner not recording. It was pretty successful with only a couple "cannot tune this channel" msgs asking to hit select to retune which worked. A few times I got a long black screen but I waited and the picture came up eventually.

I then tried going back to 6 tuners and did the same thing but with 5 recordings and one tuner free to channel surf. Now I'm getting a lot more plain black screens with no msgs at all and even if I wait and leave it alone, the video never comes on like in 5 tuner operation. So I went into the DVR Diagnostics section and the 5 recording tuners look fine, but on the 6th channel surfing tuner, when its a blank screen, at the end under the cablecard screen it says under "Decrypt Record Channels: 5 (03415)" and under tuner number 2 (the live ch surfing one) it says its an analog channel, not digital, and there's no cablecard association for this channel. The channel is supposed to be 1203 nfl network, which of course is SDV (digital). So I switch up one channel to 1204 nfl redzone and it tunes in fine, even though this is SDV with a cci of 0x02 as well. I look back in DVR diagnostics and it now shows the tuner tuning a digital signal and the cablecard association as well as now showing all 6 tuners back!!! ("Decrypt Record Channels: 6 (034152)"). If I go back to ch 1203 it does the same error again, as well as some other, but not all, SDV channels.

Margret or anyone, does this sound like the bug where I need to drop to 5 tuners and how soon can I expect rectification, if ever? I'm curious if it really is because I have in the past dropped all the way down to only 3 tuners and still have had the occasional blank screen and error messages. Does this sound like maybe something else? I am at my wits end and don't have time for this.

Last edited by HarperVision : 09-25-2013 at 11:01 PM.
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:47 PM   #369
moyekj

Note that after dropping # tuners you also need to reboot the machine if you haven't been doing so.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:58 PM   #370
HarperVision

Yep, been doing that and rebooting the TA as well.....MANY times!!! Thanks for the heads up just in case though!
Old 09-25-2013, 11:29 PM   #371
HarperVision

Well I was able to get the latest TiVo update just now (see other thread) and it didn't fix my issues, and the plot even thickens now because now I'm getting black screens on non SDV cablecard channels like CNN! It appears like its something between the ta and cablecard because cnn isnt sdv yet it also loses cablecard association and shows as "analog" too in the dvr diagnostic screen and we all know the roamio is digital only. Geez I give up!
Old 09-26-2013, 01:38 AM   #372
lew-wolfgang

A New Data-Point? Mini works while Pro fails!

I think I can add some new data to the mix.

I'm a Cox customer in south San Diego county, which is SA/Cisco territory. I purchased a Pro and a Mini a couple of weeks ago and have been experiencing the tune-failure issue. At times 50% of the channel changes fail with a black screen. At other times it works well as I select sequential channels between 1035 and 1070.

On the CC:

90-db signal strength
35-db SNR
Manuf ID: 259
Firmware: PKEY1.5.3_F.p.0601

Cox also supplied a Cisco STA1520 TA.

As a test, I started six simultaneous record sessions, all channels are encrypted with CCI=0x02.

I confirmed that the six encrypted channels were actually being recorded by looking at the content, first with the Mini and then with the Pro. All was well. I then stopped the recording and confirmed once again that all six recordings had content.

Thus, I don't think my tuning failures are being caused by CC tuners not decrypting.

Another MAJOR data-point backs up this supposition: The problem is mostly non-existent when tuning live-tv on the Mini! I've tested this by confirming that the Pro was failing most channel changes, then running upstairs to find that the Mini was working perfectly on the SAME channels the Pro was failing! I repeated this experiment a number of times with similar results. So why would the Mini's tune requests to the Pro work, while the Pro's own requests to itself fail?

For the record, the Mini does fail to tune from time-to-time, I'd guess maybe 1% of channel changes, versus 50% on the Pro (at times). I've also had the "waiting circle" a time or two that required a Mini reboot.
lew-wolfgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 08:07 AM   #373
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
Actually I'm pretty sure X1 is 4 tuners since Comcast advertises record 4 shows while watching a 5th. It says nothing about the 5th show being a live show.
The X1 is five tuners right now. A coworker got one installed earlier this week. His is setup to use five tuners. He was recording four channels and watching a fifth channel live.

Although he was told by the tech that the X1 had eight tuners with three not working. I told him that made no sense and it was probably six tuners. And when I read up on it that is what I found. That there were six tuners in it.

I told my brother about it and it sounds like he might finally be ready to pull the trigger on a TiVo after so many years.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 09:33 AM   #374
hanlan

Hi all,

I'm on Cablevision-NJ/Oakland. I had a Cisco/SA 1.5.2..0601, sent my email to Margret. I got my update to 1.5.3..1101 and all seems to work.
hanlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 11:13 AM   #375
ACDCfn

Sent multiple emails, still no update for me. Not sure why Cablevision seems to be leaving me out when others on this board get the update...
Old 09-26-2013, 01:29 PM   #376
TiVoMargret
VP of Design, TiVo

NDS CableCards

I would like to invite those of you who have a CableCARD from NDS to join our Beta. While I don't have a fix yet, the Beta has additional logging around the issue that will let us help Cisco/NDS understand the problem with the firmware.

If you are willing to join our Beta program, please sign up at:
http://fieldtrials.tivo.com

and then send me an email (margret@tivo.com) with the subject: "NDS CableCARD"

Thanks,
--Margret
TiVo Inc. *

TiVoMargret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 05:09 PM   #377
razor237

If anyone in central NJ is looking to get a cisco card from cablevison i know the freehold optimum store has them, and once you get that maybe Margret can get your firmware updated
razor237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 05:24 PM   #378
AdamNJ

Thumbs up update on Cisco 1.5.3.1101 firmware

I have had the updated firmware on Cablevision for a week now without any problems. I feel it is working great and ready for rollout to rest of the SA/Cisco PKM cards on Cablevision's network.

My previous tuning issue was exclusively with the 6th tuner which would bomb out immediately or within a few hours; the other 5 worked okay. After the update, I set 6 encrypted channels to record at multiple times in hopes of getting Tivo to have to switch channels on all tuners. No problems. I also have been primarily using the 6th tuner (confirmed which tuner from using the CC diagnostic screens) for my live viewing, so it has changed channels 20+ times over the last few days, and no issues. The Decrypt Fail screen under the CC Conditional Access set of screens shows no errors.

Another previous issue that I had frequently was macroblocking; this seems to be fixed with this firmware as well as I haven't seen any yet. It was supposed to be fixed in 1.5.2.2801 anyway:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/vide...1.5.2.3001.pdf

I emailed Ed H @ CV on Tuesday that it had been working fine (same info as above) and I asked what the next steps were (if there would be a general release for everyone else...etc), but I did not hear back from him.

on Cablevision Raritan Valley system (Central NJ)
w/ Cisco PKM803 CableCARD on firmware 1.5.3.1101

*** 2013 newbie to Tivo ***
AdamNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 11:03 PM   #379
howye

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
Well I was able to get the latest TiVo update just now (see other thread) and it didn't fix my issues, and the plot even thickens now because now I'm getting black screens on non SDV cablecard channels like CNN! It appears like its something between the ta and cablecard because cnn isnt sdv yet it also loses cablecard association and shows as "analog" too in the dvr diagnostic screen and we all know the roamio is digital only. Geez I give up!
I have a Roamio basic, only 4 tuners, and this is the exact problem I am experiencing. Tonight I begin getting this problem on many more channels. Then I restarted to apply the most recent update, that did not help the problem. This is on Time Warner cable.
howye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 01:18 AM   #380
HarperVision

Sorry to hear that. I'm thinking it has something to do with analog channel simulcast and a glitch with how it tells the unit to tune to which channel, and it's mistaking something and trying to tune the analog channel instead, causing the black screen error because Roamio is digital only.
Old 09-27-2013, 01:59 AM   #381
ACDCfn

Well at 1:30am Cablevision finally updated cable card firmware, I am back to 6 tuners, and all is good with the world. Thank you TiVo Margret and thank you Cablevision. Hope the rest of you guys get it all sorted out ASAP. Truly feel your pain and hoping CABLEVISION and TiVo will get this solved soon.
Old 09-27-2013, 07:10 AM   #382
dhoward

I have not seen to much mention on Comcast in this thread. Does Comcast have the same problem with its cable cards and the full six tuner usage?
dhoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 07:37 AM   #383
dkraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhoward View Post
I have not seen to much mention on Comcast in this thread. Does Comcast have the same problem with its cable cards and the full six tuner usage?
Yes Comcast has problems. The word is Comcast should be updating cable cards by the end of October. I have not seen anything posted her about Tivo working with Comcast like they are with other cable companies. I could be wrong but I have not seen anything.
dkraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 08:07 AM   #384
howye

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
Sorry to hear that. I'm thinking it has something to do with analog channel simulcast and a glitch with how it tells the unit to tune to which channel, and it's mistaking something and trying to tune the analog channel instead, causing the black screen error because Roamio is digital only.
It is plausible and matches up with what I remember in terms of problems tuning HD digital channels that still have SD versions in my cable lineup. I cannot verify that right away though. Question is, is anybody looking into this as a separate problem? I am replying here in the hopes it will get some attention, but I will be away until Sunday and unable to actually call into Tivo support to open a case with them directly. I think this problem is separate from the one in this thread and might be getting lost in the noise created by multiple new release bugs.
howye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 10:41 AM   #385
gweempose

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkraft View Post

Yes Comcast has problems. The word is Comcast should be updating cable cards by the end of October ...
I have Comcast, and all six of my tuners appear to be working fine. I am using a very old Motorola M-card that I removed from one of my S3s. Does the problem only affect newer cablecards, or is it limited to certain markets?
(3) Minis

gweempose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 10:47 AM   #386
generaltso

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweempose View Post
I have Comcast, and all six of my tuners appear to be working fine. I am using a very old Motorola M-card that I removed from one of my S3s. Does the problem only affect newer cablecards, or is it limited to certain markets?
It seems to be limited to certain markets. Several people have reported no issues with an old PKM800 card running 1.5.2_3001 on Comcast. However, I've tried two PKM800 cable cards with that firmware version in two separate Roamio Pros and both only let me use 5 tuners. Maybe it has to do with the headend equipment. Don't know what else it could be.
generaltso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 11:02 AM   #387
AdamNJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweempose View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by generaltso View Post
It seems to be limited to certain markets. Several people have reported no issues with an old PKM800 card running 1.5.2_3001 on Comcast. However, I've tried two PKM800 cable cards with that firmware version in two separate Roamio Pros and both only let me use 5 tuners. Maybe it has to do with the headend equipment. Don't know what else it could be.
gweempose, you are using a motorola card. While there are some issues with the Moto cards, mostly we are talking about Cisco/SA cards here since they are more problemmatic. generaltso is referencing cisco cards.

Comcast users moto in some markets and cisco in others.

on Cablevision Raritan Valley system (Central NJ)
w/ Cisco PKM803 CableCARD on firmware 1.5.3.1101

*** 2013 newbie to Tivo ***
AdamNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 01:30 PM   #388
jaj2276

Quote:
Originally Posted by generaltso View Post
I have the latest firmware with the Cisco(SA) PKM800 card. Tuners 5 and 6 are wonky (tuners 5 and 6 will work after a reboot, but then tuner 6 stops being able to decrypt all non-broadcast channels while tuner 5 seems to lose the ability to decrypt *some* - not all - non-broadcast channels).

I've heard that PKM803 cards with the latest firmware might work but I don't feel like making a special trip down to the Comcast office to have them look at me weird when I specifically ask for PKM803 cablecards (even if they have them).

I don't *need* 6 tuners right now so I'm ok with dropping down to 4 tuners. Of course if this problem lasts more than a few months, then I'm going to start to care. Hopefully my patience will be rewarded.
jaj2276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 05:14 PM   #389
texas-Ed

I've been considering Roamio to replace an older version 3 TIVO. I'm in Houston on Comcast with a Cisco 800 card with the .3001 firmware. Sounds like the best I can hope for is 5 tuners operational for the time being. Does the unit perform reliably in that mode and record/playback dependably at this point?

Last edited by texas-Ed : 09-27-2013 at 05:20 PM. Reason: Correctr typo
texas-Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 06:10 PM   #390
generaltso

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas-Ed View Post
I've been considering Roamio to replace an older version 3 TIVO. I'm in Houston on Comcast with a Cisco 800 card with the .3001 firmware. Sounds like the best I can hope for is 5 tuners operational for the time being. Does the unit perform reliably in that mode and record/playback dependably at this point?
You might be fine. Plenty of people seem to be running that combination with all 6 tuners working fine. Mine only works with 5, but it's perfectly reliable with 5.
generaltso is offline   Reply With Quote