TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-20-2013, 12:49 AM   #31
getbak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseAndSquirrel View Post
Yeah. And that's how I also feel about 24.
So, basically, you hate Manny Coto.
Old 09-20-2013, 04:59 PM   #32
sharkster

I finally watched this ep last night. Like the rest of you, I was underwhelmed. I also agree that he should have killed sonny boy. The guy is the last link, besides Deb who would never drop a dime on Dexter, who knew too much.

The scene where Deb got shot was pretty bad. It's a shame the writers got so lazy in this season. I can actually feel it through the actors' representations of the characters. Looking forward to the series finale and already missing Michael C Hall. I hope we see him in something soon...something great like SFU was and like Dexter was for a few years.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 08:25 PM   #33
mrdazzo7

Finally caught up with the last couple of episodes.... Pretty much agree with everyone here (and the rest of the viewing public, apparently)... Awful, awful writing for what should have been a nail-biting thriller of a final season. It really does play like a group of people who have 12 episodes to do, and that's it. During the season I kept thinking "there are so many plot lines that have nothing to do with anything, I can't wait until it's revealed how everything connects!". Quinn and Jamie's previously non-existent relationship taking up time in every single episode, the whole Quinn/sergeant exam thing, Masuka's daughter... Unless all of these things converge with the main plot in the hour that's left, what the hell was the point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbaker View Post
The part where I do have a problem is that if Saxon was ever brought in, he'd spill the beans about Dexter. Even without proof, that would ruin Deb's career and reputation.
I liked the idea of using the last season to explore the Vogel thing and how she and Harry molded Dexter, that was fine. But the entire "Brain Surgeon" thing was so disjointed and poorly played out that who cares. But nothing comes close to the ridiculousness of the last five minutes of the last episode. It's great that Dexter doesn't feel the "need" to kill Saxon - huge character revelation that changes everything, etc... but his decision to leave him alone with Deb to arrest him is probably the worst writing the show has ever done. nothing about it makes sense--he knows everything about them, including the fact that Dexter is running off with Hannah. It's a writing ploy that clearly defies all logic and was done just to create some kind of plot going into what should have been an epic finale.

Anytime you end a show that centers on someone harboring an entire lifetime of secrets, you have a great opportunity to unravel them from start to finish. Whatever the actual end is, whether it's death, jail, or going on the run, it should have been built up to all season. Instead we got a ton of useless* side plots, a "big bad" that plays like an austin powers villain, and a main character who starts acting in ways completely inconsistent with the previous seven seasons.

*I'm assuming these side-plots are useless... I can't condemn the season until I see the finale and how it all plays out. But I can't imagine they're gonna pull out this amazing bag of tricks Sons of Anarchy style where all these things are magically connected. They're not even invested enough to have Hannah put on a ****ing hat when she goes out. It's even sadder knowing that they knew it was the last year going into it.

Ok, I'm done This is what happens when I'm behind on a show all season long and can't discuss it. It gets built up.
Old 09-20-2013, 10:19 PM   #34
Hank
AC•FTW

But how do you *really* feel?

Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 10:38 PM   #35
JLucPicard

TC CLUB MEMBER
I did really think it was out of character and totally ridiculous for Dexter to have witnessed Vogel's death the way he did, then turn around and leave that same killer for Deb to deal with herself.

I'm not sure I'd be quite so disappointed in the way this is wrapping up if I wasn't watching Breaking Bad as well (HUGE contrast between the two), but a part of me thinks I would still be very disappointed - this is just crawling out with a whimper and I don't know there's anything they could do in the final ep to change my mind about that.
JLucPicard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 12:00 AM   #36
mrdazzo7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
But how do you *really* feel?

lol... I don't know anyone who watches Dexter so I have to get all my thoughts out on here. It's funny how it's the polar opposite of Breaking Bad, which is nailing it and which I discuss with like 20 different people every week
Old 09-25-2013, 08:37 PM   #37
Hunter Green
Curmudgeon

I will give them one iota of credit. At least it wasn't that Saxon just happened to work himself loose because Dexter did a crap job with the straps, or Saxon was holding a pick the whole time. Clayton letting him out almost sort of made sense at the time.

Otherwise, crap. Maybe the hurricane is the side effect of a dome covering Miami that no one has noticed yet (since no one seems to be able to leave this town.) After all, we've already been shown that the Dome is a new advance in TV technology; no longer do characters have to pass the Idiot Ball back and forth, if they all live inside the Idiot Ball, they all get to have it at once. It would certainly explain everyone's behavior at the end there.