TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:41 AM   #601
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimPa View Post
It's an actual product found here..... http://www.lightdims.com/

Be sure to order the right ones. The first ones I ordered totally blocked the light. Had to reorder the other kind that reduces most of it.
Thanks!
DCIFRTHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:19 AM   #602
b_scott
TiVo Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricco67 View Post
I just purchased my Roamio Plus and I was surprised how much of an improvement it really was. A friend came over (not knowing we got a new TIVO) and wonders how our picture improved.

One thing that does annoy me is that my Desktop software doesn't work, but then again, that laptop is dying.
You mean the menu picture? Because the TV picture wouldn't change - it's digital, and was digital.
b_scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:24 AM   #603
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott View Post
You mean the menu picture? Because the TV picture wouldn't change - it's digital, and was digital.
There was already a lengthy discussion about this, and unfortunately that's not actually the case.

In a shootout of many top end BD players it was discussed that a large number of things in the "digital" signal affected the picture quality such as how the player handled things like color decoder information.

Maybe down the line when manufacturers adhere 100% to format specifications what you said will be correct. Today it's a bit of a crap shoot.

So, it is entirely possible that the perceived PQ of the Roamio is different than of other TiVo models.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:09 PM   #604
anthonymoody

Read through a bunch of pages here but didn't find this discussed anywhere (and the search function keeps giving me the under two works error message even though I'm obviously searching for more than two words...)

How do you Stop a recorded show during playback (as opposed to Pause) so that you are taken back to that show's recorded info screen?

TIA
anthonymoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:11 PM   #605
jmpage2

use the left navigation arrow, or press the TiVo button.
Old 09-26-2013, 01:44 PM   #606
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody View Post
Read through a bunch of pages here but didn't find this discussed anywhere (and the search function keeps giving me the under two works error message even though I'm obviously searching for more than two words...)

How do you Stop a recorded show during playback (as opposed to Pause) so that you are taken back to that show's recorded info screen?

TIA
It was discussed here by me: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...70#post9815570
HarperVision is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 06:04 PM   #607
anthonymoody

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
use the left navigation arrow, or press the TiVo button.
Thanks. I see I have to push Pause first, otherwise it keeps playing in the corner window which feels like strange default behavior but...okay I guess.
Old 09-26-2013, 06:33 PM   #608
jmpage2

Quote:
Thanks. I see I have to push Pause first, otherwise it keeps playing in the corner window which feels like strange default behavior but...okay I guess.
I have a button on my Harmony remote labeled "stop" that does seem to stop the recording, but as far as I know it does the same thing as the left arrow press.
Old 09-26-2013, 07:09 PM   #609
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
You can disable that little window completely in the Settings section. Or you can disable it temporarily by pressing the Slow button. If you do either then you don't have to pause first, it'll pause automatically.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 07:15 PM   #610
Dan203
Super Moderator

It's funny how quickly you become use to the speed. Last night I had to use my wife's Premiere for something and it was an exercise in frustration. I always thought my Premiere was slow, but it was usable. Now I find it excruciating to use. First world problems.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 07:24 PM   #611
b_scott
TiVo Fan

does the Mini mirror the new interface for the Roamio?
b_scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 07:28 PM   #612
moyekj

Quote:
No. UI looks more like the series 4 units.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 08:28 PM   #613
BigJimOutlaw

Quote:
Not yet. Looks like the Premiere line. But supposedly that'll change in the future.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 09:35 AM   #614
anthonymoody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
You can disable that little window completely in the Settings section. Or you can disable it temporarily by pressing the Slow button. If you do either then you don't have to pause first, it'll pause automatically.
Thanks. When you disable it completely does it actually pause the recording when you hit the L arrow, or does it continue to play behind the scenes? I assume the former but guess I could check.

I'd kind of miss the window at other times, in the menus, and so forth. But I guess I could get used to it.
Old 09-27-2013, 09:56 AM   #615
synch22

Took then plunge, man was it hard with a s3 and HD with lifetime running just fine. Hope to sell the HD on Craig's but TiVo market in seattle on there has been dead last 2 weeks .... May go to $225 on it.
All is good but looks like my mini is broken first day out the box. It was going through setup and hanging on the DVR selection screen. After I made a new call on the roamio I come back to see the mini stuck on the start up screen and it flickers every 4 secs stuck on it.Bumned the mini has lifetime and needs to go back to best buy.

On demand needs to be fixed with xfinity.
The roamio is a thing of beauty, it will be a few days to digest the $880.... I was an s3 first day owner so I know it will be fine. That thing is going almost 6 years strong.

I am digging the 6 tuners, I am a huge user of the 30min buffer and love jumping around blazing through content.

Update: took 25 mins but got lifetime on the mini refunded and will pick up another one today.

Last edited by synch22 : 09-27-2013 at 11:18 AM.
synch22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 12:06 PM   #616
jmpage2

Quote:
Thanks. When you disable it completely does it actually pause the recording when you hit the L arrow, or does it continue to play behind the scenes? I assume the former but guess I could check.

I'd kind of miss the window at other times, in the menus, and so forth. But I guess I could get used to it.
So just hit pause and then left arrow. Or program a macro on a universal that does the same thing.
Old 09-27-2013, 05:52 PM   #617
synch22

Picked up another mini now up and running on Moca. I am surprised because I have 3 splitters to this line and it works perfect. No filters nothing, very surprised. Plan to expand for sure in the future.

Also I figured out if I want to watch 2 shows at once on the mini just hit record (assuming no conflicts) and I can watch live tv and the show recording back and forth. I enjoy this type of watching and switch during commercials or pause points. Very cool!

S3 to this is pretty nice
Old 09-28-2013, 07:30 PM   #618
synch22

The 30 second skip is off or the series 3 is off. As a football watcher 30 sec skip always took me to the next play before the snap. On the roamio it was off, tested same game on the s3 and was right on.

The 30sec skip mode where it shows the content is a bummer, but I know why they had to do it.
Old 09-28-2013, 07:34 PM   #619
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by synch22 View Post
The 30sec skip mode where it shows is a bummer.
You can get the old behavior (instant 30 sec skip as opposed to 30 sec scan that comes out of the box) permanently by enabling the SPS30S backdoor. Enter it while playing back an existing recording.

Old 09-28-2013, 07:35 PM   #620
synch22

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
You can get the old behavior (instant 30 sec skip as opposed to 30 sec scan that comes out of the box) permanently by enabling the SPS30S backdoor. Enter it while playing back an existing recording.
Hmm maybe I thought it registered but ive just been using then default 30 . thanks for that.
Old 09-30-2013, 01:52 PM   #621
Rob the elder

The Romeo lost connectivity yesterday twice . . .again. The Mini stopped connecting during the football game. The Stream continues to provide no functionality.

I finally gave up. After two weeks working with TIVO tech support I cancelled my service and am shipping all the hardware back to TIVO for a refund.

The software does not work. Period. End of sentence.

I refuse to pay to be a beta tester for their new systems.

Too bad, the concept is great. The implementation, at least for me, is very poor.
Rob the elder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 02:21 PM   #622
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob the elder View Post
The Romeo lost connectivity yesterday twice . . .again. The Mini stopped connecting during the football game. The Stream continues to provide no functionality.

I finally gave up. After two weeks working with TIVO tech support I cancelled my service and am shipping all the hardware back to TIVO for a refund.

The software does not work. Period. End of sentence.

I refuse to pay to be a beta tester for their new systems.

Too bad, the concept is great. The implementation, at least for me, is very poor.
Sorry you had issues but the Roamio and Minis work great here. The only issue I ran into was with a green switch my Roamio Pro was connected to. Which was easily rectified by replacing it with a non-green switch.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt : 09-30-2013 at 03:26 PM.
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 03:25 PM   #623
tivogurl

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
The only issue I ran into was with a green switch my Roamio Pro was connected to. Which was easily rectified by replacing it with a non-green switch.
Green switch?

I did notice yesterday that my Roamio spuriously claimed it couldn't connect to TiVo. Doing a "Test Connection" ran just fine, and removed that error.
tivogurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:29 AM   #624
ptr727

I switched from a Verizon FiOS box; primary benefit is number of tuners and storage space, the software and capabilities are worse than the Verizon box:
http://blog.insanegenius.com/2013/09...izon-fios-dvr/
ptr727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:34 AM   #625
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptr727 View Post
I switched from a Verizon FiOS box; primary benefit is number of tuners and storage space, the software and capabilities are worse than the Verizon box:
I think you would find that most would disagree with your blog comment that the interface on the TiVo Roamio looks "almost the same" as the interface on TiVos from seven years ago.

I don't know much about the Verizon interface, perhaps it's truly awesome. What I do know is that many who are devoted fans of TiVo appreciate some of the features that other DVRs don't do, such as suggestions, wish lists, unified search, etc.

If none of that matters, then for most consumers it will be most cost effective to simply go with whatever their cable provider offers by way of rental equipment.
Old 10-01-2013, 11:51 AM   #626
NYHeel

Quote:
I quickly glanced through your blog post and you have some mistakes in there. One, there is a way to go back to full screen once the video is in the window. It's the zoom button. Works just fine. Second, I'm pretty sure the video window works fine when you're watching a recording. It shouldn't switch to Live TV. If you're watching a recording and you press the Tivo button the video window will keep your recording. THen just press the zoom button to go back to your recording. Also, the pause button works as the stop button. Just pause the show and go where ever you want to go on the UI. No need for a stop button. Also switching tuners works much better on the Tivo as you can pause live tuners and switch back and forth which is very helpful for watching sports. Another Tivo improvement are the shortcuts on the remote (Tivo and 2 for the to do list, Tivo and Tivo again for the My shows list...). I'm sure there are many more improvements in the Tivo UI over the Fios DVR but I don't have the time now to go through them all. You'll probably learn them in time as you get used to the UI.

Like all products that you use for the first time, you need a little time to get used to it. But I feel that once you get used to it, you'll enjoy the Tivo much more than the Fios DVR.

My Mom has a Fios DVR and I've found it to be pretty terrible. Just kind of clunky and non-intuitive. It's your classic basic cable DVR but with whole home streaming. One thing that really pissed me off was when watching the Super Bowl a few years ago. We were recording the game and watching it about 20 minutes behind. When the recording ended, instead of just continuing the game from the point where the recording ended on the live buffer, it jumped to the current live TV point. Needless to say that it spoiled the end of the Super Bowl. Also, earlier we had issues where the DVR wasn't saving the pause point and was resuming the recording from the beginning every time we restarted the recording. Was very annoying.

Last edited by NYHeel : 10-01-2013 at 11:59 AM.
NYHeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 12:29 PM   #627
ptr727

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYHeel View Post
I quickly glanced through your blog post and you have some mistakes in there. One, there is a way to go back to full screen once the video is in the window. It's the zoom button. Works just fine. Second, I'm pretty sure the video window works fine when you're watching a recording. It shouldn't switch to Live TV. If you're watching a recording and you press the Tivo button the video window will keep your recording. THen just press the zoom button to go back to your recording. Also, the pause button works as the stop button. Just pause the show and go where ever you want to go on the UI. No need for a stop button. Also switching tuners works much better on the Tivo as you can pause live tuners and switch back and forth which is very helpful for watching sports. Another Tivo improvement are the shortcuts on the remote (Tivo and 2 for the to do list, Tivo and Tivo again for the My shows list...). I'm sure there are many more improvements in the Tivo UI over the Fios DVR but I don't have the time now to go through them all. You'll probably learn them in time as you get used to the UI.

Like all products that you use for the first time, you need a little time to get used to it. But I feel that once you get used to it, you'll enjoy the Tivo much more than the Fios DVR.

My Mom has a Fios DVR and I've found it to be pretty terrible. Just kind of clunky and non-intuitive. It's your classic basic cable DVR but with whole home streaming. One thing that really pissed me off was when watching the Super Bowl a few years ago. We were recording the game and watching it about 20 minutes behind. When the recording ended, instead of just continuing the game from the point where the recording ended on the live buffer, it jumped to the current live TV point. Needless to say that it spoiled the end of the Super Bowl. Also, earlier we had issues where the DVR wasn't saving the pause point and was resuming the recording from the beginning every time we restarted the recording. Was very annoying.
I just tested this again; watch on basic, play a show recorded on the pro, press TiVo, the feed in the embedded window switches to live TV, not the show I was watching.

I agree the FiOS DVR used to be pretty awful two years ago, but the current version does work really well, and I find the menu system very intuitive, very responsive, and HD all the time.

I'm sure the TiVo will grow on me, but other than more tuners and more storage, I don't think the Roamio is really that impressive.

P.
ptr727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 02:03 PM   #628
NYHeel

Quote:
I just tested this again; watch on basic, play a show recorded on the pro, press TiVo, the feed in the embedded window switches to live TV, not the show I was watching.

I agree the FiOS DVR used to be pretty awful two years ago, but the current version does work really well, and I find the menu system very intuitive, very responsive, and HD all the time.

I'm sure the TiVo will grow on me, but other than more tuners and more storage, I don't think the Roamio is really that impressive.

P.
It could be that happens when you watch a show from a different DVR. I don't believe it acts like that when watching a recording from that same DVR.

I tihnk the Tivo stuff will grow on you. THings like the unified search and the episode guides have been very helpful to me (though they really need to add Amazon Prime streaming) not to mention the very useful app, ios streaming, and computer archiving/transferring options.
NYHeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 02:55 PM   #629
matt.macgibbon

Not happy - When i watch netflix, it reboots the tivo occasionally. i never had a premiere, but this has happened 3 times in the last 2 days. i have it hard wired.

should i return it and go back to using my series 3? (HD XL?)
matt.macgibbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 03:56 PM   #630
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt.macgibbon View Post
Not happy - When i watch netflix, it reboots the tivo occasionally. i never had a premiere, but this has happened 3 times in the last 2 days. i have it hard wired.

should i return it and go back to using my series 3? (HD XL?)
Earlier on there was an issue with 1080p/24 causing Netflix reboots but I thought the 1st Roamio software update was supposed to address that. But if you do have 1080p/24 output enabled in TiVo Video settings you may try turning it off for now to see if it helps. I haven't used Netflix much lately but so far haven't suffered any reboots for my Roamio when I did use it.